Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling With The Past: Greatest Wrestler Ever with Charles & Childs!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That took a few days to get through, but I do want to say "thanks" for the great podcast and second the notion that you two never really betrayed your fatigue. You remained not merely coherent but outright eloquent when discussing your rankings. I came feeling energized to seek out some new things I haven't seen before.

But damn you to hell for the Charles in Charge theme. ;)

Two things that shocked me was Charles omission of Bull Nakano and his relatively high placing of Nakamura. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Nak as I don't remember you discussing him before.

I have a lot of regrets about my list, and one of them is not ranking Bull Nakano. I think I still would have had her below Nakamura, though. I think she was a great worker, but even in having not seen as much, I do think Nakamura reached more transcendant heights than Bull really did as a singles champion. Some really great performances from her as WWWA champ from 1990-1992, but no true classic title defenses in my opinion, although a few came close to that level.

Nakamura, other than Virus, is the guy that I ranked the highest having seen the least. I didn't get him at first because I thought his flailing just made him look sloppy. I do get him a lot more now. I loved the Ibushi and Styles match, and thought he hit a stride as a performer there that Bull never quite hit. A small sampling I know, but I felt confident enough to rank him high.

I didn't enjoy the Sakuraba match as much, but I feel like I would if I watched it again now. I think I was expecting a fake shoot, then I saw Nakamura come out with his pomp and circumstance and it distracted me.