Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestlers who had a lot of great matches but aren't great

Grimmas

Here was Austin:

Steve Austin (#57)

Great matches 3

This is a hell of a stretch. Depending on your standards, he arguably had three great matches in May 2001 alone. His work that year especially in the heel run is incredible and now seemingly underrated. The bloody self conscious epic with HHH which is one of the better matches of its type. The X7 classic with The Rock that effectively summarised and ended the "Attitude Era". The fantastic television matches with Chris Benoit. The torn quad tag. The Kurt Angle series, especially the Summerslam match which is a contender for the best match in company history, and the interesting rematch that they centre around the piledriver.

The random fun stuff like the Spike Dudley feud/match taking place on Smackdown - that type of mini feud just doesn't happen any more. The stuff where he tried to raise the Hardy Boyz up, or the random match with Tazz and the whippinh. The incredible character work and promos, glorious stuff like "Steve Austin appreciation night". The way he turned at the flick of a switch from goofy 'lost his edge' Austin to desperate psychotic madman doing anything to keep hold of the strap.

It's not 3 great matches, it's a rating out of 10 for Great Matches where Flair, Misawa and Kobashi are 10/10

Do you see.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JvK--

I would argue that Austin's peak was longer than that. I would argue that he was money from day 1. His Chris Adams feud was incredible, that was like in what 87? I'd put Austin at 15 to 20 very good matches and 3 to 5 great matches, two of which I'd say may be all time greats.

I also defend Luger with he might be the biggest victim ever of shitty booking.

The Adams feud was in 1990. Austin didn't debut until 89. Have you seen the matches? It was a great feud but the matches weren't great. They were effective and fun. Austin does well enough but he was obviously green at the time. Most of the matches are less than 5 minutes anyway.