Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the Honorable Mention List, Part 2

Grimmas

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff had a good ability to tie into his audience and was incredibly authentic as a dirt bike jumping, poetry writing, face painting drug addict. No one else could have pulled that shit off and still been over. For as tripped out as he was, I totally bought that Jeff would walk into the grocery store and be exactly the thing you saw on television.

Just absolutely HATE the setting up for the stunt stuff. The worst. Hate it, hate it.

Yes but Jeff might have been the very best at the setting up stunt stuff nonsense. I liked his stuff with Undertaker, RVD and Randy Orton as a single before his body went to hell, his brain went on drugs and his soul went to TNA.

Aries over Owens is a little surprising given they are both active and Owens is riding some hot feuds while Aries just got out of TNA. I mean as close as they are it is more or less a wash, but I am little surprised Owens didn't finish comfortably ahead of Aries right now.

I was happy about that one.

Jeff Hardy. He sure knows how to fall from high places. Did I mention I blame the Hardyz, along with Edge, for popularizing awkward looking indy-like moves in the WWE ? At least the best of the three will place the highest. Still, Jeff Hardy. Hardly a very good much less a great worker.

We could form a great grumpy old man tag-team El-P.

Me in a top hat, you in a Napolean outfit.

"The Roaring Twenties."

Apparently you can feud with Childs and myself as "You Maryland Pedants."

englishfrenchman2.jpg

That could be the finisher, a double-team hamstring snap.

We'll lecture your asses into submission. Although as an English scholar, you probably have a massive tolerance for tedium.

Aries over Owens is a little surprising given they are both active and Owens is riding some hot feuds while Aries just got out of TNA. I mean as close as they are it is more or less a wash, but I am little surprised Owens didn't finish comfortably ahead of Aries right now.

Conjecture: Fans of indie workers prefer high-fliers, smaller guys, better athletes. Maybe? I don't know. I ranked Aries and not Owens, but that's down to physique (which probably wasn't much of a factor for a lot of people).

Kevin Owens - absolute garbage. The prime candidate of someone who seems like he is playing at being a wrestler. Nothing seems natural. His matches are badly structured, he throws the bombs around at the finish and does the shocked "can't believe that didn't beat him" expression through all the near falls, but he can't build a match for shit. Then there is his terrible look. He is a man that validates Vince McMahon's prejudice against indie wrestlers who only appeal to the smart fans and can't draw a dime. His promos are mediocre. He has no real natural charisma, his movement is all wrong.

A solid midcard hand at best and doesn't belong on a list like this.

That pretty much covers it.

Did I mention I blame the Hardyz, along with Edge, for popularizing awkward looking indy-like moves in the WWE ?

Seems a strange criticism.

No. The Hardys & Edge are the ones who brought stupid moves with tons of wasted motions and illogical body movements to the game, the worst being Edge pulling a guy's neck to him while himself bumps on his ass. That's what I hate the most about those moves, is that guy giving them is often talking a completely unecessary bump at the same time to make it look "cooler" (which it doesn't). As far as falling from high places, I think those classic E & C vs Dudleys vs Hardys matches are garbage.

Eventually all are doomed. My list of 80s WWF midcarders isn't exactly living high on the hog. WIll's Memphis soldiers are all in their graves other than Jerry. I can't see any one grouping to be super highly represented.

Dundee lives on, right?

I have a few Memphis guys still living.

Did I mention I blame the Hardyz, along with Edge, for popularizing awkward looking indy-like moves in the WWE ?

Seems a strange criticism.

No. The Hardys & Edge are the ones who brought stupid moves with tons of wasted motions and illogical body movements to the game, the worst being Edge pulling a guy's neck to him while himself bumps on his ass. That's what I hate the most about those moves, is that guy giving them is often talking a completely unecessary bump at the same time to make it look "cooler" (which it doesn't). As far as falling from high places, I think those classic E & C vs Dudleys vs Hardys matches are garbage.

I feel like wrestling has only recovered in the past couple of years from the stuff those guys pioneered.

The reverse X-factor thing was dumb sure, I'm not sure I would say its super indy since I don't think anyone else ever did the thing. Because it was dumb. It's not like a Superplex into a Falcon Arrow into a counter into a Davey Richards or anything though.

I'm also not sure how checking his footing to make sure Jeff Hardy doesn't fall on his head is 'not trying to win a match'?

"Tanaka is better than Misawa." Terry Funk.

I had him at #64. Terrific worker in FMW, the best next to Gannosuke. Almost ruined by ECW where he learned to no-sell chairshots to the head. I haven't followed his 00's career, but from what's I've seen on occasion, he remained a strong worker. Amazing physical transformation too, I never got used to it when I stumbled onto one of his matches.

"Tanaka is better than Misawa." Terry Funk.

I know that Meltzer claims that Funk said that but does anybody have any proof? Meltzer seems to pull stuff out of his ass on occasion just to stir the pot. Anyways I do believe Tanaka has a lot more personality than Misawa.

Starting to see more guys that made Brad's 20% threshold or were close to it now.

Yep, it looks like since #184 we're starting to reach the tipping point where guys seem to fluctuate between 25-35 ballots. We should be due to reach the point where guys are consistently at 30 or more soon.