Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the Honorable Mention List, Part 2

Grimmas

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy hell... Two days away from the board and there's litterally hundreds of posts in just the thread on honourable mentions. So many that a brand new thread was created. Way to go! To those who believe that this poll should have been kept exclusive and only for a certain few invites, this level of activity totally justifies the open vote to me. Too bad that those select few who have seen the light and know excactly what makes up a great wrestler can't control the vote by deciding that only those who agree gets a say ;-)

And don't worry, the "consensus" strong anti-WWF 85-96 bias will still shine through in the eventual top 100, I'm sure. You can sleep safely at night knowing that the rest of us heathens without good taste won't end up staining the shrine too badly :P

As long as it's within reason, I also love the passion when people love or hate other voters choices. The only comments I have found idiotic is when people say that voters have misunderstood the point of this list, or that voting for someone almost invalidates the entire thing. Grimmas & Co. made a very conscious effort to say from the start that what makes a wrestler great is up to each voter to figure out for themselves. I know it's been discussed to death, but I've never officially heard this list described as a best worker ever list (whatever then defines "work"). So fuck off for attacking whatever criteria people have set for themselves. ... That's not the same as saying we can't laugh at, comment on or critique someones choices :-) That debate is part of the fun, and has resulted in one of my personal high points so far: mrzfn making his case for ranking Quack so high :rolleyes: :D ... From the 2-3 matches I've seen with him, I probably wouldn't consider him any higher than about #350, but mrzfn made the case so well and honestly that I completely buy his high ranking of the guy.

I'm kind of surprised that Dean Ambrose was only on 2 more ballots than Roman Reigns. That's good though because I really don't think Dean is better than Roman.

I keep waiting for Mocho Cota to drop. How on earth did he get such a crazily high ranking?

Clearly from how many people voted for Superstar Graham, Adrian Street & Kamala a lot of people are voting for people who were very good at portraying their characters. That clearly favors a guy like Mocha Cota who isn't exactly the shits in the workrate department like Graham or Ultimate Warrior.

Right now there are about 180 wrestlers listed where I'd gladly sacrifice every single bit of footage they have on tape if it means I could watch more Takeshi Ono matches. By any metric the guy kicks the shit out of anyone else listed. Except maybe Lizmark. Lizmark rules. The challenge I posted in his thread still stands: name a wrestler with a better Top 10 matches.

Average vote of 70 for Rick Steiner is nuts. I mean, placing him at 99 when you really need to fill out your ballot, that's fine, but the time spent on this project could have been used to find better talent.

This is the type of response that I find infuriating. Where's the rule that says there are certain workers everyone should have and if they dont, they are lesser fans or something?

I didn't rank any non NA wrestlers because even though ive seen a fair share of non US work, it still pales to my exposure of guys like Steiner.

And I really dig his style. Hard hitting, throws, clotheslines, all of it. I'd rather watch a Steiner match than almost anything else. So yeah, he's a top 100, for me personally.

Guys need to lighten up and stop bashing other people's likes and dislikes. Get over the fact that some of us are the equivalent of "Shawshank Redemption" or "Star Wars" is the best film of all time wrestling fans.

Yes! Yes! Yes! I agree with the Beast! (And I have a number of non-US wrestlers on my list, I don't have Rick Steiner near my list and I would take "Star Wars" over "Shawshank" and would also argue its merits from an artistic point of view even though they're both great). Debating and critiquing other's choices, cool. Bashing people's likes and dislikes? As Beast says: Lighten up and get over it

Damn Haku made a lot more ballots than I would have thought. I fucking loved him in the King Tonga stuff I've seen from Montreal. If he'd have been that guy his whole career he could have finished in my top 25. As Haku/Meng I just didn't feel there was enough there.

I guess we have a very different definition of "ok" when we're talking about the Casas/Cota hair match and the Casas/Dandy vs. Cota/Silver King tag match then.

"Ok" is a massive upgrade over how old-man Cota was viewed back in the day, but that apuesta match in particular I didn't really care for.

The people back in the day sure had a narrow-minded view of what lucha could be. Reading some of the WONs from the time are painful.

Not surprised to see Ricochet drop this early (his career is still on the upswing), but I am a little surprised to see Homicide this low. Is this a case of "out of sight, out of mind"? He has been AWOL from the larger feds more often than not over the past five years or so. He took almost all of 2015 off, and has only had five matches since returning.

Damn Haku made a lot more ballots than I would have thought. I fucking loved him in the King Tonga stuff I've seen from Montreal. If he'd have been that guy his whole career he could have finished in my top 25. As Haku/Meng I just didn't feel there was enough there.

Right on! I did like Haku/Meng, but agree that there's not enough there to crack this list, but the Montreal stuff is cool (the little I've seen). Also like this one against Rick Martel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2xBpHFnXAI

Not sure it's from Montreal, but it's a cool, short match :-) ... Happy where I have Martel, and not quite enough to make me rank Haku, but I totally understand those who did rank him :-)