Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the Honorable Mention List, Part 2

Grimmas

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has HHH really not shown up yet? I'm starting to get worried......

Come on, you know he's going to be higher than the likes of Stan Lane and Kenny Omega. I didn't vote for him, but he has a history of big matches.

He has a history of flopping in big matches. Not just flopping, but falling flat on his face on some of the biggest stages (that he usually booked himself on).

Lot of ballots for Stan Lane so he appealed more to voters than someone like Omega (just 8 ballots - score driven by a higher average of course).

I think Stan was the first wrestler to break 20 ballots (he appeared on 21). I don't think we are quite there yet but I hope that is a sign that we are approaching the stage where most of the wrestlers falling will have been on 10%+ of the ballots. Not that the last few days haven't been interesting but is mainly been wrestlers that had >10% support but were propped up by one high outlier vote. The real fun to me is in seeing where the wrestlers that a lot/most agree are top 100 candidates end up.

I voted for Stan so that's my 9th wrestler to drop and only my 3rd US-based one. I like Stan a lot but glad to see that Condrey will rightfully finish ahead of him.

That picture of Kevin von Erich ! :) I always though he looked creepy, but this takes the cake. More evil and scary than the Devil.

If Vince McMahon had seen that picture Kevin Von Erich would have be a evil villain character from a harelquin novel and the feud with Savage would have been AWESOME.

I sort of wish I ranked Matt Borne higher. In 1993 he was maybe the best competitive TV match and squash match worker the WWE had. I highly value the art of the squash match and Borne would clown dudes in the most creative ways. It never felt like you were watching the same match twice like with other "superstars". And any guy who gets over a clown gimmick as a technical wrestler pyscho is Top Fucking Notch in my book.

Kudos to all those who ranked Gannosuke. I really wish I'd ranked him. When I got my first comp tape of Hayabusa, Gannosuke was the guy that really shined.

Alberto Del Rio is one of my favorite wrestlers in the world when he's on. Even when he was booked like an after thought I thought, within a vaccum his matches were the best laid out works on the card. I haven't really liked his work since his return and I fucking hate that finisher in the corner. It goes against all the good game plan work he was doing before.

I can see Triple H turning a lot of people off, easily, but he does have some tremendous work. Loved his match with Daniel Bryan - it was the most he's ever looked like an actual "cerebral assassin" in probably ever. He also has the best Great Khali match ever. For me his career has been pretty uneven, especially if you factor in his character stuff, and some of those big time main events being fucking lame. I'd say Triple H is a better example of X-Pac Heat than X-Pac was.

Two guys I nearly voted for in Stan Lane and Prince Devitt coming in right behind Kenny Omega kinda bothers me, but the people have spoken and who am I to disagree.

And honestly a big reason why I was considering Stan Lane is that he's my favourite member of the Midnight Express and ranking him and not Eaton or Condrey felt like a good way of making a statement of that. Which would've been a really lame reason to place someone in my top 100.

jaedmc, I love Triple H but I think the award for best Great Khali match should go to Cesaro.

Goldberg was too high.

Sydal did pretty well all things considered. I voted for him pretty much solely based on his WWE run but I did watch a few of his more recent matches just to see if he was still really fucking good (he is)

I think Goldberg is a better wrestler than Sydal.

You're wrong but you are entitled to your wrong opinion.

He's right, but you're entitled to your wrong opinion :-)

I voted for Stan so that's my 9th wrestler to drop and only my 3rd US-based one. I like Stan a lot but glad to see that Condrey will rightfully finish ahead of him.

Yea I ranked Condrey pretty high and didn't have Stan anywhere except my tag ballot.

And HHH does not have the best Khali match. That award goes to John Cena.

13 names down off my list, and I've been the high voter on 5 of them....but never the lone voter, which is reassuring. Was looking at my list last night, and genuinely thought it'd be a while before anyone else appeared as an honourable mention...thought Kevin von Erich would crack the top 200, but wasn't to be. The first guy down who I thought would do better.

Marufuji would maybe be in my 150. My problem with him is that some of his big time matches fall flat or suffer from overkill and there are times when he'll sleepwalk through his smaller matches. I do like that he gets pretty creative, even if some of his creations fail at least he's experimenting.

Interested where Case and other DG proponents had Shingo after Alan ranked him 14th. Even though I don't connect to the DG style much overall, Shingo is even below that in my eyes and his championship matches in general have seemed extremely bloated and nonsensical in my eyes.

Kroffat ! My #57, and I thought I would have been the high vote on him. His work in All Japan is just amazing. Went to the US too late, and was never booked in a way that favored his rather dull look, although he was a terrific dickhead. That pic is glorious too. 13th of my list off. Funny quote from him, talking about his tag partner Doug Furnas "He looks like a Greek god. I just look like a Greek."

I'm kinda amazed and delighted my #100 has not showed up yet.