Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the List: 100-51

Grimmas

Poor Manami Toyota. I didn't submit a ballot because I never got around to the extra viewing I hoped to, let alone contributing to the discussion. As such, I felt like I hadn't done enough to eliminate my blind spots to be able to justify submitting a ballot. Luchadors, WOS guys and 1980s territorial workers probably benefited from this (being my blind spots). Joshi workers definitely suffered. Toyota would have been no worse than Top 15 for me.

I'm already planning for 2026 and planning a deep dive into joshi before then. ;)

Glad to see that there are still some good women out there waiting to show up on the list.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Onita was the last person I thought I'd be the high voter on (I had him 18th), and I'm happy he made the top 100, but I really wish now that I had pushed for him a bit harder in his thread. I think some people tend to dismiss the deathmatch style he popularized as "garbage" or by leaning on statements like not all styles are created equal, while ignoring the sheer charisma and importance Onita was able to bring to his matches within that style. They also made sense from a narrative standpoint and escalated in a meaningful, believable way. I think many voters tend to dismiss him because of what they think he spawned and not the work he actually did, which I think stands up as well as anything else from that time frame.

The funny thing about Onita is that pretty much all the guys coming after him and did garbage stuff totally ignored why Onita was so great at it and why he made a shitload of money : milking and selling. That's why watching the very early Onita FMW matches against martial artists is so revealing of what Onita is all about, because he basically worked the same way then : getting his ass beat, selling like a motherfucker, milking every comebacks like crazy. And then of course you got all the Onita mystic with the post-match crying and promo, which is insane even if you don't understand the language.

But really, Onita wasn't about taking insane bump and bleeding like a stuck pig. Well, he was, but that's just a part of it. The main thing is that he milked and sold like a mofo. That's why he made shitload of money while all the garbage idiots (Abyss, looking at you) coming after just destroyed their body for basically nothing because all they got out of Onita was : taking bumps in barbwires. That was just a spectacular choice. Onita was like Takada, a master of epic spectacle.

Excellent post. That really summarizes what was great about Onita, better than I ever could. I had Onita as my #20, and El-P's post does a great job of explaining why.

Last night I had the thought that while the influx of voters may have created some results that aren't necessarily representative of the views of many at PWO (Angle's high ranking, for instance), it may end up being sort of a blessing. This list will get sent around, and if it was just all of our favorites, it might get dismissed out of hand. Now that it has some great showings by both the widely accepted "greatest ever" and by some PWO favorites, it might lead to people genuinely looking in to wrestler's they might not have before. Like, I think someone may see this list and check out Virus, or Sangre Chicana, because they are surrounded in ranking by more popular, mainstream choices. That's a potentially really cool happy accident.

I don't necessarily have issues with the overall placement of Zayn and Cesaro, but I will say I think it speaks to the "WWE effect" that they are both slightly higher than Hero, who I think was better earlier, subsequently better for longer, and has had just as many good matches on the indies as Zayn and Cesaro have had in WWE in the past few years.

There's also some level of availability of footage too, with Cesaro especially, over Hero. It's a hell of a lot easier for me to watch 200 Cesaro matches than 200 Hero matches.

Totally agree. From what I have watched of Hero I would still rank Cesaro a good bit higher. But I will admit that I'm only at 6-7 Hero matches, som I'm in no way dismissing his case. He might well be as good as some here claim.

Matt, footage availability is a valid point. I think it's interesting in this case, as the harder to find footage for Hero is what makes his case, while that same footage is a probably a detriment to Cesaro's, as his ROH/CZW runs are largely underwhelming and he is completely overshadowed by Hero in the KoW tag team stuff.

It's interesting to me that Cesaro's work in NXT/WWE is far superior to his indy work, but Hero's NXT work wasn't nearly as good as his indy work (save for the Regal stuff). Is it harder to have good matches under road agents, time limits, creative restraints? Or is it just not applicable here at all?

If that's true of Hero (and it may well be), I think he'd be one of the few. IMO the vast majority of workers perform better under creative restraints.

I guess a bunch of self-conscious Mania epics plus a bunch of truly awful matches were enough to boost Taker into the top 100. Blah.

Happy to be a minority voice with you here.

You're not really a minority voice if he makes less than half of the ballots. I don't know too many people who had him in thier lists. I know of a couple.

An interesting comparison would be Undertaker vs. Inoki. A shitload of matches.... a shitload of main event protection.... a handful of classics and a ton of crap.

I guess a bunch of self-conscious Mania epics plus a bunch of truly awful matches were enough to boost Taker into the top 100. Blah.

Happy to be a minority voice with you here.

You're not really a minority voice if he makes less than half of the ballots. I don't know too many people who had him in thier lists. I know of a couple.

An interesting comparison would be Undertaker vs. Inoki. A shitload of matches.... a shitload of main event protection.... a handful of classics and a ton of crap.

Could have fooled me after the amount of crap I got for pointing out the mountains of absolute shit he's produced since 1991.

I think Taker making the list is a shame, and I think his case is poor if you seriously factor in consistency. Thinking about it, I don't really know why I was getting shit from the brothers Hales about it, the only thing consistent about him is that he consistently produced garbage. And, unlike Inoki, he had no real mat skills either.

I didn't have many feelings about Taker before GWE, now I think I literally hate the idea of him being touted as a great worker. Think it's a joke.