Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the List: 100-51

Grimmas

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand how could anyone rank Volk Han (who was my #37) and not Tamura.

I had Owen at #56 so it hits pretty close to home to me. Owen doesn't have a lot a great stuff, but he has a lot, a lot of very good stuff and was damn consistent. Re-watching WWF 95/96 kinda reminded me that even when he was cruising at times, Owen was still better than most. Not surprised about the drop though.

I had Owen at 51, so this ranking is about right in my eyes. Still feels high though. Shockingly, he dropped big time from 2006.

I think a lot of people really liked Owen, so he was on the bottom half of a lot of ballots.

Agree. I had him at #48, and it does feel like a little personal bias played into that.

Volk Han: Not on my list. Tried to see all I could of him, so I could get into shoot. Wish I'd spent it watching joshi instead.

Samoa Joe: Close for me. At times he was in my bottom ten. Just missed out. Maybe the only highlight of TNA for me, and I really dug his ROH work.

So I've "lost" 46 as far as I can see. 54 remaining with my #26 my highest drop so far... Either I should be very, very happy, or I should feel like the most boring voter of us all... Looking forward to Will's podcasts with the guys with the most "eccentric and fun" lists. Waiting by the phone for the call that puts me on the show that's broadcast to put old people to sleep...

I've got ~41 left which isn't so bad considering how goofy my list is.

I have 46 left. I feel like I'm losing by being less goofy.

Parv and co. are competing for who has the most conservative ballot. We're like the opposite.

As of Owen appearing, I'm at 37 of the wrestlers on my ballot who have not yet appeared.

Five of my bottom 50 are still to come, with only one of them being from my bottom 25. I also have five of my top 25 that have already appeared (two of which didn't make the final top 100).

I am really interested in getting into shoot style, mostly based on the talk/debate about Volk Han and Tamura in the podcasts surrounding this list. I really haven't dabbled at all and it will probably be another year or or so. I am diving into lucha and joshi now and will probably do shoot and/or world of sport next.

Samoa Joe is a guy I think will see his stock rise over time, even if he doesn't add much to it. I think his work will hold up and the vast majority of it is on tape. Plus, a lot of these indy guys have just endless shows on tap that aren't well publicized or circulated so I really wonder if there will be a wave or revisiting some of the rarer footage down the road.

I think Owen was in some ways the best Hart brother, but I can't think of a better example of the difference between the terms "best" and "greatest" than in comparing Owen and Bret.

If Owen had Bret's drive and mind, he'd be #1 on my list... or at least would have a shot.

Owen is someone I almost talked myself out of voting for. Even after dropping 20 spots from his Smakrshoice ranking he still feels too high and that's with me not ranking so many wrestlers other people hold in high esteem. I wonder if the 2016 rankings will be as alienating in 2026 as the 2006 are right now.

Han made my list but I came very close to not including him. I appreciate what he does, but compared to the three other shoot style guys that made my list - Anjoh, Tamura, and Otsuka, I don't think Han is anywhere near as compelling as them. Han is a great wrestler, which is why I ended up including him, and I actually ended up ranking him ahead of Otsuka, but by no means will I ever be a big Han supporter. He's fine, at times I've gotten really into his work, but he was someone that just by comparison almost fell off my list.

I had Joe at 36. In his prime, at his absolute peak, I don't know if there's ever been anyone better besides Kobashi, Mochizuki, and maybe Hansen at their greatest. I think that highly of Joe. The 12/11/05 performance vs. Styles is one of the best matches I've ever seen and Joe is an absolute machine in that match. His 2005 produces a bunch of matches like that. I'm completely OK with his overall ranking. Well deserved.

Unrelated, but Bret needs to drop soon. Don't like the fact that he's hung on this long.

I don't understand how could anyone rank Volk Han (who was my #37) and not Tamura.

I didn't vote for either guy but I entertained the idea of ranking Han if this were top 200, I'm sure I would've ranked Han and would not have ranked Tamura.

The short answer for why I considered Volk Han is that even though I don't like shoot style at all I felt he had other people's best matches that I saw: Tamura, Maeda, Kopylov, Kohsaka and possibly others that I can't recall. This led me to believe that even though Han's matches weren't that good he must be doing something right because they're consistently much more enjoyable than almost all the other stuff in the same style.

CM Punk as a worker is much inferior to Samoa Joe, in my opinion. Joe is on another level when watching them in ROH side by side. Probably a good example of better worker vs better career, though, since Punk has ended up with probably the better resume and certainly a much longer peak.

Unmotivated and going through the motions CM Punk at the end of his WWE run was better than lazy and unmotivated Samoa Joe and we saw a LOT more lazy Joe in TNA than we did lazy Punk in WWE.

Unrelated, but Bret needs to drop soon. Don't like the fact that he's hung on this long.

I had Bret in my top 5. He was 9th in 2006. No way he is dropping in the bottom half of the ballot.

Yeah, Bret is not dropping anytime soon, motherfuckers. I had him very high too, higher than in 2006.

I had Bret in my top 5. He was 9th in 2006. No way he is dropping in the bottom half of the ballot.

Yeah, Bret is not dropping anytime soon, motherfuckers. I had him very high too, higher than in 2006.

Hell yeah! Don't wanna see Bret for a few days yet :-)

The short answer for why I considered Volk Han is that even though I don't like shoot style at all I felt he had other people's best matches that I saw: Tamura, Maeda, Kopylov, Kohsaka and possibly others that I can't recall. This led me to believe that even though Han's matches weren't that good he must be doing something right because they're consistently much more enjoyable than almost all the other stuff in the same style.

Ok, makes sense. But not liking shoot-style makes me sad.

I have Casas over someone I never thought would move from his spot.

Every match is such a joy. I watched this yesterday (excuse the 1.5 speed and note that I am taking life and limb in hand by posting it because it may freeze my account here).

PNGGrz.gif

Look at that use of the cameraman.

Just a random match lost to the annals of time and look at that! You find stuff like that in almost any Casas match from almost any era.