Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the List: 100-51

Grimmas

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Backlund in New Japan/UWF/Battlarts and I remember digging him in the 90s WWF stuff as well so I watched some 70s/80s WW(W?)F stuff of his to see how he was there and it didn't do anything for me and thus didn't feel compelled to rank him. If his home promotion's style was closer to what I value in wrestling I'm almost certain he would be on my list.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Backlund in New Japan/UWF/Battlarts and I remember digging him in the 90s WWF stuff as well so I watched some 70s/80s WW(W?)F stuff of his to see how he was there and it didn't do anything for me and thus didn't feel compelled to rank him. If his home promotion's style was closer to what I value in wrestling I'm almost certain he would be on my list.

Have you seen his hour draw with Valentine?

Virus and the Destroyer are not on my list, but they are definitely in my top 150... maybe they will make it to my top 100 next time. I briefly considered Dusty Rhodes at some point, but I'm actually not sure if he would even make my top 150 (he would definitely be somewhere in my top 200 though).

Kerry Von Erich is my #74

L.A. Park is my #27

Sangre Chicana is my #9 (high vote)

I have only 59 wrestlers left that haven't appeared in the final results so far...

41 wrestlers that are in my top 100 have appeared in the final results so far...

#8 Masa Fuchi [#111] (high vote)

#9 Sangre Chicana [#95] (high vote)

#14 Chigusa Nagayo [#110]

#15 Fuerza Guerrera [#155] (high vote)

#27 L.A. Park [#96]

#28 Mr. Gannosuke [#277] (high vote)

#31 Mayumi Ozaki [#133]

#36 Jaguar Yokota [#114]

#41 La Fiera [#164]

#48 El Samurai [#212] (high vote)

#49 Kyoko Inoue [#217]

#53 Tsuyoshi Kikuchi [#148]

#55 Great Sasuke [#116]

#57 Yumi Ikeshita [#384]

#60 TAKA Michinoku [#180]

#62 Shinobu Kandori [#146]

#65 Dynamite Kansai [#125]

#66 Dan Kroffat [#254]

#69 Perro Aguayo [#140]

#71 Bison Kimura [#420]

#72 Devil Masami [#135]

#73 Cuty Suzuki [#385]

#74 Kerry Von Erich [#98]

#75 Dennis Condrey [#199]

#76 Pirata Morgan [#117]

#77 Super Astro [#283]

#78 Leo Burke [#296]

#79 Jinsei Shinzaki [#400]

#82 Masato Tanaka [#175]

#83 Javier Cruz [#502] (high vote/only vote)

#85 Psicosis [#183]

#88 Marty Jannetty [#272]

#89 Espectrito [#370]

#90 Masa Saito [#160]

#91 Sabu [#149]

#92 Scott Steiner [#162]

#93 Jacques Rougeau [#339]

#96 Carlos Colon [#103]

#98 Stan Lane [#260]

#99 Big Boss Man [#171]

#100 Ron Starr [#403]

Have you seen his hour draw with Valentine?

I'll continue to bring this up, but when both workers say that Greg was blown up after 3-4 minutes and that was the reason they sat in a headlock for the first 30 mins, why is it so routinely overlooked when analysing that match?

What makes the 30-minute headlock Bob does there better than a 30-minute Don Muraco chinlock? Serious question.

The story with that match is that Bruno was stuck in snow or something, and they unexpectedly had to go long. Greg got blown up, which is why they laid an egg for the first half. Then it picks up.

I see a lot of people shower ***** on that match, but both Bob and Greg have MUCH better stuff against each other and on the mat.

I think one of my criticisms of Backlund around that time was that he has a "paucity of imagination". Like a lot of 70s guys will progress through holds. Not Bob.

Headlock ... errrr ... back to the Headlock!!! Now what ... HEADLOCK! It's like he's got tunnell vision.

He is pretty consistent with it. Sometimes it's the row row row. Sometimes it's a leg hold. But he doesn't just go back to a specific body part but to a specific HOLD. For like 20 straight minutes. Sometimes I think "Bob... BOB do you have a single other idea in your head?"

My qualms with Backlund are well documented, I won't go over them here. I just think the 82 series between Bob and Greg is way way better than the 79 stuff, to the point of being blow-away great. In fact, Backlund has a really strong case to be "best worker in the world" in 1982 now I come to think of it. Adonis, Slaughter, Orton Jr, Snuka. All 82. He had a smokin hot year.

Also, I'm not critiquing a match based on what was said in some shoot interview or something. I'm critiquing it based on what was on the screen. If Valentine had limitations because of his stamina, its that much more impressive that they found a way to work so compellingly around them.

I maintain the work they do in that first thirty minutes is not much different from your typical Muraco vs. Pedro snoozefest, only Muraco probably switches up a bit more than tunnel-vision Bob.

Maybe I'll review the match again one day. The idea it's on par with Bock vs. Hennig or something like that seems bizarre to me.

I'm also saying this really cos I can see a lot of newcomers to Bob being really put off and put to sleep by that match, and he has so many more accessible and enjoyable matches. It's an era that can be hard to get into and my instinct is that match will turn off more people than it turns on.

Why not watch the 82 Greg matches which are so much more exciting? Or Patera Texas death? Or Adonis match or Patterson or any number of great matches he's had?

I'd argue that it would be better to go for that 79 Greg match last, once you've built up an understanding of all of Bob's weird quirks, etc.

Dandy is gonna place relatively high because there are people VERY high on him. The Lucha footage explosion probably helped him more than damn near anyone.

Is the footage explosion people finding out about certain matches or more matches getting uploaded to Youtube? I always assumed that the list of top Dandy matches is about the same as it was in 2006, with most new additions being buildup matches and stuff like that. Whereas with someone like La Fiera I can't imagine what he was getting praised for back then.