Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the List: 100-51

Grimmas

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. If somebody says a match is *** and you say it's *****, am I wrong in saying you've overrated it if I think it's ****? All Jerome is saying is that it was so underrated it's become overrated, which is a common reaction in critical circles.

Exactly. But it seems if you don't follow the new consensus, you're either a dick or an idiot. Like with Hayes. I always thought he was underrated, that he was a pretty good worker, that he brought some shit to the table, even back when the consensus was "He's shit." Now I hear that he's better than Gordy, one of the best Texas worker ever etc… Even if my opinion on the guy, which is fairly positive, hasn't changed much, the fact that I say he went from underrated to overrated make it seems like I'm bashing the guy, when I'm really not. Same thing for Flair vs Garvin. I like it quite a bit.

I'm perfectly fine with being in a minority. I don't care one bit one way or another. I was in the consensus when I thought Takada was excellent 15 years ago. I like Takada even more today and I'm within an über minority now on this matter.

Had Garvin never won the World Title, the line on him as one of Flair's most fun opponents would have never gone sour at all. Flair-Garvin was a hugely popular feud among hardcore fans at the time. When Garvin won the title, which coincided with a major decline for JCP, he became an easy scapegoat, and the feud started being viewed a little differently in hindsight. I don't know that people were ever significantly down on it, but I do think Flair-Windham was considered the much better in-ring feud until recent years, when I don't think nearly as many people around here think that now.

I probably would've been guilty of falling to some perceived "scott keith narrative" 10 years ago, but Chad and Parv's (and others) advocacy made me seek Garvin out. The advocacy worked on me in that I did enjoy those Flair matches, but maybe just not as much as others, that's all.

Flair-Garvin appeals to the violencemongers among us who love stiffness, but I think it also appeals to people who want to see a different side of Flair as someone driven by emotions who is willing to fight. You don't see heel Flair lose his cool opposite anyone but Garvin.

Flair-Garvin appeals to the violencemongers among us who love stiffness, but I think it also appeals to people who want to see a different side of Flair as someone driven by emotions who is willing to fight. You don't see heel Flair lose his cool opposite anyone but Garvin.

One of the things that makes Batman so great for me (or did), is how each of his major villains is in some way a mirror of Batman / Bruce Wayne, pushing at some aspect of his personality.

Joker is the chaos to his order

Ra's Al-Ghul is the mirror to the millionaire ideologist, and his equal in terms of wits and resources

The Penguin is the aspirational socialite flipside of Bruce Wayne, and a reminder that privilege is built on exploitation

Two-Face is his old friend, and mirrors Bruce's own split personality

Scarecrow plays on fear just like Batman plays on fear

And so we can go down the line. They are kind of perfect foes for Batman that highlight some particular aspect of his persona.

I think you can do that also with Garvin, Luger, Steamboat, Sting, Dusty, Harley, Funk, etc. What makes Garvin special is because, in a way that seems really different from Steamboat, he seems to be his equal and match. Bob Backlund vs. Greg Valentine also has this quality as a feud. The idea that the two guys are just matched -- height, weight, skills, experience, etc. It's pretty cool and not that many feuds have it.

I do think Flair-Windham was considered the much better in-ring feud until recent years, when I don't think nearly as many people around here think that now.

Flair vs Windham smokes any Garvin stuff. Hell, I'd put Windham at his peak above Flair.

We know that. Like most things you've posted in this thread, you've been saying it for nearly 15 years. :)

I do think Flair-Windham was considered the much better in-ring feud until recent years, when I don't think nearly as many people around here think that now.

Flair vs Windham smokes any Garvin stuff. Hell, I'd put Windham at his peak above Flair.

We know that. Like most things you've posted in this thread, you've been saying it for nearly 15 years. :)

That's such a low-blow. :)

Aside from the high points, I have really liked Garvin as a studio worker in general. He always had that aura of a guy who was about to wreck some poor guy off the streets, but the matches remained entertaining and - more importantly - meaningful. I also watched a few of his matches with Savage not too long ago and really liked them. They worked well together and I think it highlighted that there was a method to his pace and style - it wasn't just blandness.

I may have developed a fondness for Garvin as a direct reaction to his perceived "blandness" back when I first started watching old JCP on WWE 24/7 a decade ago. I expected a joke and instead found a tough guy who made all of his attacks mean something. I'm thrilled he made the top 100.