Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the List: 50-26

Grimmas

Goldust is as much a mainstream US guy as Michaels. (funny how some people just don't understand something super simple)

Holy shit, those two pics of Michaels. :)

I'm amazed that Michaels actually gained spots since last time. For all the criticism he gets around here, most of it valid, he still managed to win more than ten spots. I guess all because of a bunch of self-conscious epics at Mania against Cena & Taker. Post 2002 Michaels seems to be some of the most divisive body of work ever, either you love it, either you hate it. Haven't seen all of it, although quite a bit of the big matches, and although I do think there's some to love, much of it isn't worthy of the high praise it gets. Do we need to mention again that the "Sorry, I love you" match with Flair is one of the most ridiculous overacted melodramamatch ever, and a staple of awful modern WWE manufactured "Mania Moments" ?

Well, I had Micheals at #78.

Does Goldust work in a mainstream company? Yes.

Goldust is highly regarded among mainstream fans? No.

Claiming this is a ballot where mainstream fans highly influenced it seems silly to me.

*facepalm*

Did I ever mention that a bunch of hidden mainstream fans had submitted ballots to influence the poll ? I don't think I did. I'm just noticing that guys from the US maintream companies (NWA/JCP // WCW // WWE) are doing better this time around at the expense of more "niche" styles. Which is why I'm calling this list "more conservtaive". *That's all*

If that's too hard to understand or if people get rubbed the wrong way about it, too fucking bad. I don't know what else to say, really.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if it has nothing to do with outside voters or criticizing the list, why all the whining and posting it over and over again? It's weird to say it's more conservative when Buddy Rose and Jerry Lawler both make the top 40?

There seems to be more luchadors than the previous list too.

Wrestling is cyclical. All promotions have their periods where they're "hot" and well egarded and times when they are less so. It may well be that Joshi and shoot styleare like that at the moment.

Some of the biggest movers are guys for whom footage is far more readily available now than it was in 2006 - especially those who benefitted from the 80's rewatch projects.

That Brock #2 vote needs to be addressed. That's high to put it lightly.

What do you recommend we do about it?

Expose the voter. :)

I'd just like to hear an argument for why someone ranked Brock Lesnar the #2 greatest wrestler of all-time. I'm curious.

I didn't have him at #2, but I had him very high (I believe in my top 5 or 6). Here's my explanation -

I voted based on the wrestling I've seen and know. I can imagine the person who had him at 2 is, like me, someone who really only knows WWE and WCW with maybe a smattering of ECW and US indies.

When you limit yourself to only those promotions, Lesnar shines pretty brightly. Several great-to-awesome matches in his first run and since his return, including some hidden gems I'd only seen for the first time recently (for example, vs. Test @ KOTR 02'). Really fun to watch and considerably more "legit" than anyone else on the roster even before going to UFC. While I don't see anyone calling him the best wrestler on the planet in 2014 or 2015, I think even with a ridiculously limited schedule he was in the running for best in the US somewhere in that timespan thanks to his work at SummerSlam 2014, the 2015 Rumble title match, and WM31.

Based on how this list has unraveled, which I probably should have better understood coming in and Parv may have been onto something, I am really interested to see how wrestlers of various genres compare to each other across a range of metrics. I clicked that I considered all genres, which is technically true, but to say I considered all the workers I should for all the genres would not be accurate.

Not sure how feasible it would be but to gather metrics on the following would be neat:

-Ranking of wrestler for voters who included 3+ [Genre] wrestlers

-Average vote for voters who included 3+ [Genre] wrestlers

And so on and so forth. Not sure the value it'd provide but I think it would be interesting.

HBK had such a great ability to pull emotions out of the audience. Some people may not enjoy that, but he was great at it. He's so good at getting the shit kicked out of him and having the crowd rally behind him. It's apparent in the 8/30/86 Rockers/Rose and Somers match and the Survivor series match mentioned. He was also awesome as the heel you love seeing getting the shit kicked out of him, seen 10/5/97 vs the Undertaker. His 2008 feud vs Jericho was fantastic. I don't mind the Flair emotional stuff from his last match that annoys others. I feel like at that point in Flair's career they did the best they could to make the match memorable and enjoyable. Anyways, I had him higher, but glad to see him here. I know he doesn't get the most love here, but I enjoy quite a bit of his stuff.

4) You wanted to ruin my whole night.

Jokes. But wow, that is a hell of a double whammy.

Is James Derbyshire present on the board? If not I at least take solace in me being his high voter from regular board people.

I think he's registered but not yet activated (there's been a JDerbyshire who shows up in yellow font among the active users recently). I think there's probably 4-5 users who have registered because of the GWE project who are waiting to be activated.

Haha I can't wait for this shit now. Bring it on.

Now that Cena is out I'm numb. Nothing can hurt me.

What about now?

I have no problem with Santo over Cena. I had Santo pretty high.

Like I said I have more problem with a guy like Austin over Cena, because they are a like for like comparison and Cena is better.

EDIT: Bret too. Fuck that off.

Haha I can't wait for this shit now. Bring it on.

Now that Cena is out I'm numb. Nothing can hurt me.

What about now?

I have no problem with Santo over Cena. I had Santo pretty high.

Like I said I have more problem with a guy like Austin over Cena, because they are a like for like comparison and Cena is better.

EDIT: Bret too. Fuck that off.

You put Austin really high. You must have.