Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the List: 25-11

Grimmas

If you didn't vote for Casas, your ballot was a failure. Simple as that. I'm not even going to get in to him being lower than Bret and Regal and some others because I'll just get more and more angry. Like Breaks, Casas is one of the most universal performers in history. To not rank him is unfathomable to me. I honestly feel like if you don't like or understand Casas, you don't actually like or understand pro wrestling.

I'm sure that most of the voters who didn't rank him just haven't seen enough, or any, of his matches, not because they watched a ton of Casas and said "fuck him, he sucks"

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regal, Arn and Savage are surviving on the strength of being guys everyone will rate. Probably Bret too, though people inexplicably think he's a top tier guy. The weighted voting system was something I wanted in place in part to offset this, but here we are.

What system did you propose? I definitely feel like this system rewards being on a large number of ballots too much, and I'm aware other kinds of ranking systems for this kind of thing exist, but I don't know anything about them.

Regal, Arn and Savage are surviving on the strength of being guys everyone will rate. Probably Bret too, though people inexplicably think he's a top tier guy. The weighted voting system was something I wanted in place in part to offset this, but here we are.

What system did you propose? I definitely feel like this system rewards being on a large number of ballots too much, and I'm aware other kinds of ranking systems for this kind of thing exist, but I don't know anything about them.

You can't do more than what we did. It is what it is. Thankfully my top 100 is the only one that is right

Apparently I'm on an island here, but the Savage things boggles my mind as much as Bret. It was pretty early on where he was no longer even in consideration for my list. I knew he'd rank well but had no expectation it'd be this high.

I think it's ridiculous too, but I get it a bit more because like Austin he's legit one of the biggest stars in wrestling history and I think that influenced the thinking of many voters.

Average vote of 19 for Casas. That is a strong representation for all who voted for him. I had him in the top 15, as I watch more of his stuff Im sure he will be in the tip top. Incredible worker, its a shame he didnt get into the top 20 but a strong showing nonetheless.

Is it possible that, perhaps, maybe, while the WWE style is viewed as the absolute worst thing to ever happen to wrestling by many here, that some people like it? And maybe it's possible that some people still like it even after exposing themselves to lucha, Japan, WoS etc. etc. etc. ?

Is it possible that, perhaps, maybe, while the WWE style is viewed as the absolute worst thing to ever happen to wrestling by many here, that some people like it? And maybe it's possible that some people still like it even after exposing themselves to lucha, Japan, WoS etc. etc. etc. ?

Yes it is possible. Not sure anyone has denied that.

Casas falling out of the top 20 is a shocker to me. I honestly was thinking he was going to break the top 10 after hearing some of the podcasts. He is one of the more easily translatable lucha workers too. Just surprising.

I love Bret, Regal, Arn, and Savage, but I would have Casas over all of them by a country mile.

Apparently I'm on an island here, but the Savage things boggles my mind as much as Bret. It was pretty early on where he was no longer even in consideration for my list. I knew he'd rank well but had no expectation it'd be this high.

I think it's ridiculous too, but I get it a bit more because like Austin he's legit one of the biggest stars in wrestling history and I think that influenced the thinking of many voters.

Savage is a really strange case in that I have no desire to talk anyone out of voting for him and I get why he's so loved, but of all the all time great wrestlers is there anyone that actually has a worse ratio of available footage to good matches? Savage really only has a handful of genuine classics to his name. Large periods of his career are really absolutely nothing.

I still voted for him anyway. I'm not really sure I even have an analytical explanation. It just feels right. Randy Savage is just core to what wrestling is on some emotional level that goes beyond basic reason.

Or maybe. Just maybe. The pendulum switched to US mainstream, whatever the reason. With loathed guys like Angle and Michaels gaining spots (and not one or two spots), a larger number of US big 2 promotion guys being ranked, names like Savage still around, Cena placing ridiculously high. Yeah. Maybe. Just maybe.

Either you're being very disingenuous or have massively misunderstood the arguments being made.

Or maybe. Just maybe. The pendulum switched to US mainstream, whatever the reason. With loathed guys like Angle and Michaels gaining spots (and not one or two spots), a larger number of US big 2 promotion guys being ranked, names like Savage still around, Cena placing ridiculously high. Yeah. Maybe. Just maybe.

The number of voters was always going to create a situation where certain guys were going to benefit by being on every ballot. I think most of the more controversial American names left fall in that category, but I guess we will see when we get a look at average vote

So 56 of the 108 Casas voters had him in the top 10. Even if we assume the average top 10 vote was a nine (which is being really conservative) that means his average vote of those that didn't include him in the top 10 was a tick over 28. That's a pretty sizable gulf between those that felt he was a top 10 wrestler and those that included him elsewhere on their lists.

Hash was my #2. A little shocking only one guy had him at #1. He is THE japanese wrestler in my eyes.

With Casas out too, that means 4/5 of my top 5 are gone. I think the average vote for Casas and the number of #1 votes says it all. Altough I think people praise him for his clowning too much. The guy is an awesome wrestler.