Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the List: 25-11

Grimmas

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's perfectly fair to say this project was about the journey and not the destination. I agree wholeheartedly. That being said, we shouldn't use "It was a journey" as a blanket to protect from criticism and prevent discussion. If you took a two year long journey and didn't rank Negro Casas, you got a flat tire somewhere along the way.

Also, welcome shittylittleboots. I would love to see your ballot and hear you talk about some of your high votes!

The Taker matches are very good,the final 4 match where he wins the title is excellent, and I think the Canadian Stampede match is an all-time classic.

Canadian Stampede and the 4 way are two of the most overrated matches in history to me. I don't think either one is particularly good, and Bret Hart's performances in them aren't anything special either.

He made the Patriot seem like a viable opponent for a few matches.

In case it was missed, the point of my earlier post was this:

There are more than a few people whose negative reactions to the way the list has gone seems like it might give the impression that a lot of people voted "wrong." And maybe the process is bad because wrestler X couldn't possibly be ranked below wrestler Y. Think about it like this. Look at one of the other people whose reactions have been similar to yours on different wrestlers. Did you give those wrestlers the time and attention that this other person thinks they deserved over the course of the project? If not, does this make you maybe think this kind of reaction is a bit overblown? I'm not trying to take a shot at anyone, just trying to push the discussion away from the overly negative direction it's gone lately.

1. Bret Hart's 1997 :)

I thought about picking Bret's 97 instead of 94. Its definitely his best all around year counting promos/angles and what not. I kind of figured most people would look at 94 as his best in ring year.

Can we challenge Dylan to do 94 based on in-ring and 97 based on "all around?"

Fujinami seems like a guy that definitely benefits from a much increased awareness about 1980's New Japan beyond a comically small handful of matches. One of the things he always had working against him is that in the heavyweight ranks he is so rarely portrayed as New Japan's #1 guy; he was so often asked to be second fiddle to someone else. But over the course of his career the overall quality of his work really, really adds up. I like how a lot of his matches feature struggles over relatively basic holds or sequences that add a sense of grit to stuff that is otherwise pretty passe. He's definitely a guy that rose for me personally this time around from where I would have had him years ago. He really is pretty close to a true all-rounder in terms of his skills, though obviously the high flying stuff is significantly rarer the older he gets.