Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the List: 10-1

Grimmas

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless I'm reading the math wrong, if I had ranked Jumbo in my top 35 or so, which I imagine was a possible thing if I had more time, he would have beaten Lawler into the top 10. Man, that would have been a sad day. For want of a nail and all that. My utter temporal failure worked out for the best.

Unless I'm reading the math wrong, if I had ranked Jumbo in my top 35 or so, which I imagine was a possible thing if I had more time, he would have beaten Lawler into the top 10. Man, that would have been a sad day. For want of a nail and all that. My utter temporal failure worked out for the best.

So many didn't vote lucha, you not voting Japan I have no issue with.

So many didn't vote lucha, you not voting Japan I have no issue with.

This is also how I justified to myself turning in a ballot that was pretty much just Fujinami and Onita for Japanese wrestlers.

Just waiting to see how long it takes before goodhelmet comes in and starts going crazy that Lawler didn't at least make the Top 5.

If you look at my Predictions thread, I honestly didn't think he would make the Top Ten. I thought there was still a stigma attached to Memphis wrestling as a joke territory that would prevent him form getting this high. I am ok. I am not going to cry like Matt D. ;)

Hey! If Buddy made it to ten, I'd have been super happy!

(Even 25; even 30 I could have lived with)

Getting Lawler to #10 is the culmination of overturning an entire philosophy of wrestling thought to allow for the acceptance of an opposing viewpoint, really (and one that I really value). And Will was one of the key players in that movement. He shouldn't see this as anything less than a major victory.

Top 10 is indeed litterally an elite showing for anyone. Lawler and Kawada being the first two to drop in the top 10 surprised me a little, Kawada less so than Lawler, but still. I thought Kawada would land above Kobashi.

All three were really close and forced me to do a nitpick comparison side by side. In the end, I weighted things like being the ace and Misawa having absolute classics with Jumbo and Akiyama ahead of Kawada's output in the 80's and in the NJ vs. AJ feud.

I think with Kobashi it is interesting to look at the 89-2005 comparison from both as they both were at a really high level for that entire time. Doing a year by year comparison, it was tough for me to have Kawada ahead on many years besides 1989, 1990, 1991, 1994, and maybe 1995. I feel strongly that Kobashi is ahead in 97-99 although I am sure others see that towards Kawada due to Kobashi's excess. However, I don't see as much egregious excess from Kobashi as Kawada displayed in the 6/6/97 Misawa match and the 5/2/99 Hase match. 2001 is a really nice year for Kawada with Kobashi out on injury but 2003-2004 feel dominant in Kobashi favor although again if you are someone that thinks the overall style regressed in the mid 90's, you are likely to have a different take.

I may be a simpleton but with Funk, Danielson, Rey, Hansen, and Flair left in the top 10, that leaves Liger, Misawa, Kobashi as the only Japanese guys left. Not seeing the Japanese bias. I also don't buy Funk's case being made in Japan. Maybe Hansen.

MAYBE Hansen? Really?

Also why I think it's possible to view Funks best stuff as being something other than All Japan, I can't reall imagine anyone voting him this high without All Japan. I've never really considered him a "Japan candidate," but it would probably be at least as dishonest to label him an American one.