Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the List: 10-1

Grimmas

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would probably rank Misawa highest out of the All Japan guys. I see an unmatched level of thought in his approach to structuring matches. He expanded the boundaries of the artform and that counts for a lot to me, even if his longevity isn't as good as some of the others.

In a selfish fan way I wanted Bryan to win too.

I think this is a pretty appropriate top 4. Given the talk on the boards and hearing some of the lists on podcasts, it is tough to argue with or be surprised by this top four. You have a guy who made his case in Japan, a guy who made his case in America and two guys who made their case in both to varying degrees. All score pretty high on all of the major metrics and all (sans Funk, kinda) have bookended their careers and their case has been made for a while (no recency). Everyone has their detractors and their flaws and this could probably be said about all the top 10, but these are four of the harder guys to argue against as GREAT.

I think this is a pretty appropriate top 4. Given the talk on the boards and hearing some of the lists on podcasts, it is tough to argue with or be surprised by this top four. You have a guy who made his case in Japan, a guy who made his case in America and two guys who made their case in both to varying degrees. All score pretty high on all of the major metrics and all (sans Funk, kinda) have bookended their careers and their case has been made for a while (no recency). Everyone has their detractors and their flaws and this could probably be said about all the top 10, but these are four of the harder guys to argue against as GREAT.

What is that Funk comment in regards to?

I would say that Misawa didn't as clearly bookend his career because he was still active with no sign of retiring, within I'd say conservatively the next 5 years liberally 10, before his untimely passing so it could be contended that he would have done more to add to or detract from his case which leaves that little bit of open-endedness to his career that the other do not have even-weirdly, Funk who is still wrestling feels like his career is very much concluded because over the past few years it has become very obvious exactly what he can produce with his body completely broken down and it has in no way really effected his over all case.

A very odd nit to pick I know but reading your break down made me feel inspired this fine Friday morning

I would say that Misawa didn't as clearly bookend his career because he was still active with no sign of retiring, within I'd say conservatively the next 5 years liberally 10, before his untimely passing so it could be contended that he would have done more to add to or detract from his case which leaves that little bit of open-endedness to his career that the other do not have even-weirdly, Funk who is still wrestling feels like his career is very much concluded because over the past few years it has become very obvious exactly what he can produce with his body completely broken down and it has in no way really effected his over all case.

A very odd nit to pick I know but reading your break down made me feel inspired this fine Friday morning

Meltzer said Misawa was actually talking about doing a retirement tour soon in the months leading up to his death. Also just look at how he was moving in his last year. There is no way he could have wrestled 5 more years unless you just mean doing tags where he spends the match on the apron and only does a few elbows.

Misawa not only appeared on more ballots than Kobashi or Kawada; he whipped them on both top 10 and top 3 votes. That is not something I would have guessed coming in. But as I said on the podcast, he was the best I've ever seen on his best night. So no complaints.