Pro Wrestling Only

Current Lucha Talk

Grimmas

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And while the crew was having fun in Japan, Rush vs Euforia had a terrific match at Arena Mexico on 01/25. The heat in the third fall was something else. Quite the bomb throwing spectacle. For anyone who doesn't "get" Rush, well, this would be a pretty good eye opener.

(on the undercard, Mil Mascaras working as "Gilbert" and looking like a uglier jacked up Bret Hart with red hair isn't exactly the same thing as, well, Mil Mascaras)

Hey what can people tell me about Lucha Libre Mexicana at MXL Night Club in Bladensburg Maryland? I've seen ads on facebook for past shows that have guys like Atlantis, Villano IV, El Mesias, FIshman, etc. listed.  Is this for real or false advertising? How often do they run shows?

16 hours ago, joeg said:

Hey what can people tell me about Lucha Libre Mexicana at MXL Night Club in Bladensburg Maryland? I've seen ads on facebook for past shows that have guys like Atlantis, Villano IV, El Mesias, FIshman, etc. listed.  Is this for real or false advertising? How often do they run shows?

@JRGoldman went to a few. It was real and nuts. I was really, really close to going to what I think was the last one to see Atlantis but everyone got sick at home. It turned out I made the right call because they had failed to get them properly cleared or something. It was a big disaster and I don't think they've done any more.

The AAA show from January 26 was much better. Highlights were Drago vs Parka Negra vs Argenis vs Golden Magic and the very good trios match of Murder Clown, Myzteziz Jr. & Hijo del Vikingo vs Averno, Chessman & SuperFly. The Wagner & co vs Fantasma & co match  was good but nothing special, with the rudos usual beat up at the end. Much less angle driven and garbagey than the previous Total Gira show. I guess they are building toward a Fantasma vs Wagner Jr. (who kinda looks like an old Randy Savage too) match at some point. 

Edit : I had not watched the main event yet. Ok, I guess a "You sick fuck" chant is warranted. I have no idea what the standard is for this kind of stuff today, but I feel like it's a bit destroying your body for not a whole lot. Ciclope's totally scarred up body is kinda disgusting, the fact he worked the match with a 100 dollar bill stapled on his forehead was kinda funny. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 5:04 AM, sek69 said:

Wagner and Blue Demon out here having an old lucha man version of a Memphis brawl.

Which was quite good, until the usual AAA overbooking kicked in. I can never get too much Faby Apache in my life though.

The next AAA Total Gira show was easily the best since the beginning of the year. Maybe the fact there was a lot of trios match helped (one fall only though), with Sammy Guevarra vs Laredo Kid being a very good spotfest. Top to bottom, a very enjoyable card, Poder Del Norte always delivering the good, this time in the best match of the night against Hijo del Vikingo, Aerostar & Drago. Even Jeff Jarrett looks good in this setting simply trading punches against Wagner Jr. Both intergender matches were very fun as always, I'm becoming a Lady Maravilla fan, and Faby is Faby.

The English announcing from Vamp & Australian Suicide was comically awful. Like two regular dudes shooting the shit and not being very good at it. Suicide actually kinda got better toward the end when he got focused a bit on doing old-school heel color guy stuff, but really, it was totally non-professionnal.

Not there yet, but on the previous week's show, on February 15, Caristico & Mistico & Valiente vs Los Guerreros Laguneros is just a great, great match. The diving sequence in the third fall is insane, the finish is beautiful, the pop is awesome. Really, CMLL shows on Youtube are a blessing. 

On 2/25/2019 at 1:13 PM, Tim Cooke said:

Cavernario vs. Titan from Friday's Arena Mexico show is worth checking out. 

To say the least. Greatest match I've seen this month, and probably close to MOTYC level to me. That third fall, which basically was the crux of the match, was incredible.

Anything worthwhile on this lastest AAA show ? The english announcing is pay-only on Twitch now. I can't think of one reason why you'd want to pay to listen to the god-awful Vamp announcing ! :lol:

I do think Villano III Jr. was already using Batista's theme, but I can be wrong.

6 hours ago, El-P said:

Anything worthwhile on this lastest AAA show ? The english announcing is pay-only on Twitch now. I can't think of one reason why you'd want to pay to listen to the god-awful Vamp announcing ! :lol:

I do think Villano III Jr. was already using Batista's theme, but I can be wrong.

Mainly just building up Demon and Wagner's stuff. They're doing a really good job but Demon has the same problem Santo has where the mask is so iconic you can't fathom any circumstance where he would lose it. The only thing that leaves any doubt is if the Demon family has another spat with him since he's apparently not actually related to Demon Sr. 

• 2 weeks later...

So CMLL did their show where they honor Salvador Lutteroth and another legend, and this year's was Blue Demon. This ended up unexpectedly amusing since Demon's biological non-wrestling son was there to represent the family and not Blue Demon Jr. (who beyond his actual relation to him is main eventing AAA's shows and wouldn't be there regardless), and got booed hard by the hardcore Arena Mexico fans. 

AAA has Rey de Reyes tonight, and all signs are pointing toward AEW involvment. The Bucks were photographed in the Mexico City airport, and the thinking is they'll end up in the match for the AAA tag titles (it's kind of a giveaway they would never have a tag title match in the main event slot unless something is going down). I believe AAA announced Cody would make an apperance but he obviously won't be wrestling since he's still recovering from getting his knee getting scoped. 

Cody announced to the Mexican fans that not only would AAA stars be appearing in AEW, that AEW guys would be showing up in AAA as well. He also announced that Hugo would be the Spanish "correspondent" for AEW. 

Konnan and his crew came out to confront Cody about making announcements without asking him first, and seemed to imply there would be a match between Cody and Taurus at some point.

So I saw bits and pieces of the show. Saw most of the Rey de Reys match and all of the main event. Seemed like a fun show, but not necessarily a good show. I'd definately say it was better than the Spence vs Garcia fight which was neither good nor fun and had even more technical issues than the AAA stream. 

It was actually a pretty good show all things considered, I didn't notice any technical issues other than someone forgetting Super Fly got killed in a previous match and played his music for the Rey de Reyes match. I also watched the Spanish feed so I assume Vampiro was horrible as usual on the English one. 

I found it interesting that Cody was a babyface but the Bucks were heels. It was funny seeing the Bucks win and the crowd not give a shit because they had no idea who they were. It reminded me of when the TNA guys used to come in. Bucks winning is good for AEW business but man did Escorpion and Texano look weak losing so fast. The OGT match was my favorite cause they were killing each other with nutty bumps. Poor Super Fly.