Pro Wrestling Only

Current Lucha Talk

Grimmas

She's stated that she doesn't plan to make major changes, but there's bound to be differences just because of the generational gap. I'm wondering how the rest of the company will react to having a 28 year old woman as the boss considering the culture in Mexico and wrestling being....well..wrestling.  It is something to behold that both major lucha promotions are run by women now.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Perro Aguayo tribute from last week was nice. So, in Mexico they don't do the ten bell salute but rather a whole minute of applause, which is a whole lot warmer indeed. The trios title match that followed was terrific.

Really curious to see if they have done anything special today for Paco Alonso's death.

34 minutes ago, El-P said:

The Perro Aguayo tribute from last week was nice. So, in Mexico they don't do the ten bell salute but rather a whole minute of applause, which is a whole lot warmer indeed. The trios title match that followed was terrific.

Really curious to see if they have done anything special today for Paco Alonso's death.

Yeah its neat, I believe the idea with the applause is it lift's the deceased person's spirit to heaven. 

40 minutes ago, El-P said:

Come on. You know AAA is run by the power of the urn.

This is true. Paul Bearer had nothing on Marasela.

I mean, it's blunt but not wrong. Mexican fans don't give a shit about what would offend American viewers, and they aren't likely to change because they got offended at it. The only thing that would stop is for the luchadoras to make a fuss, and that sadly isn't likely due to the small amount of work available. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2019 at 12:34 AM, sek69 said:

Also the CMLL edecanes dressed up as Liger for the main event intros, which also featured an awesome performance from a Japanese drummer.

liger-346.jpg

The entire presentation was such a classy send-off by CMLL to Liger. Not to mention his old rival Negro Casas putting him over at the end. So much respect showed by everyone. I dug Caristico's own Liger themed outfit. I guess the dancers were happy to finally do something different too. The LA Parks vs Los Ingobernables & Mistico on the undercard was a pretty crazy brawl. Will they do Park vs Rush, mask vs hair for the next anniversary show ? Anyway, everyone should watch that Liger send-off, just one of the coolest event of the year thus far.

The thing is CMLL knows they can sell out the anniversary show with a shitty match up. The past 3 years have proven that. I kinda expect them to either go cage, Ciber vs Ultimo Guerrero for the hairs either 1 on 1 or in a tag,  or NGD vs Sky Team for the masks. 

• 2 weeks later...

According to the latest Observer, visa issues are preventing AAA from announcing an MSG card. The current administration has made the process harder for everyone but especially workers coming from Mexico. Approval used to take about a month, but there are some that still have yet to be approved after eight months. So an AAA show being a disorganized mess might not actually be their fault this time. Well, not entirely.

23 hours ago, El-P said:

When is the MSG card scheduled anyway ? That's pretty bad for AAA, although predictable. That being said, NJPW got some of the same issues with their US cards earlier this year I believe.

September 15, so they are desperately running out of time. The only thing announced (or maybe confirmed) is Tessa vs. Taya.

29 minutes ago, Migs said:

September 15, so they are desperately running out of time. The only thing announced (or maybe confirmed) is Tessa vs. Taya.

Well, Tessa vs Taya at the Garden is enough for me to hope it will happen. (well, unless MSG is almost empty, which would be kinda sad).

31 minutes ago, El-P said:

Well, Tessa vs Taya at the Garden is enough for me to hope it will happen. (well, unless MSG is almost empty, which would be kinda sad).

Apparently they've announced the show is being moved to the theater at MSG (which, still, holds 5600 for concerts - even if the wrestling setup is less it still seems like a big venue given the demand).

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2019 at 11:37 PM, joeg said:

I kinda expect them to either go cage, Ciber vs Ultimo Guerrero for the hairs either 1 on 1 or in a tag,  or NGD vs Sky Team for the masks. 

Considering their match on August 9, Ciber has to be one of the shittiest guy around. When you can't have a good match with Ultimo Guerrero, you're useless. Has Cibernietico sucked for the last 25 years ?

Sky Team vs NGD should rule though, the trios matches they worked this summer were all fantastic despite the fuck finishes.

To answer your question- Cibernetico was never a good worker but he wasn't as actively bad as he's been during this CMLL run. There was a rumor 15 to 20 years ago that his main event push in the mid to late 90s was a result of a romantic relationship with Antonio Pena. 

The CMLL Grand Prix is a cool idea on paper, but damn if you don't do straight lucha libre at Arena Mexico, you fucking die. I've never heard such a tiedous response from this crowd, who's usually the best all around. I mean, most of the ROH guys died a thousand death, Delirious legit killed the crowd when he was in there. Tons of empty seats too, as I got the impression people were leaving during the match (especially after Rush was gone). No idea why CMLL brings these guys in in this context. Some looked really bad too (that Big Daddy guy was painfull to watch). Taven was pretty ok though. 

Wow. And me just talking about how Big Daddy sucked ass. So does Ciber. Gilbert is not as good as he was in LU, but his hair look like shit so he would need a haircut. But yeah, what a totally unexciting prospect. Plus that means we see more of those two shitty guys in CMLL shows until then ? Seriously CMLL, you can do so much better than this...

The four guys who aren't the shits in that match could make it interesting. Big Daddy Yum Yum getting booked again out of the blue is bizarre.

Cibernetico was never a workrate guy, but he was an over mother fucker during his peak in AAA. He's not nearly that guy anymore, which explains why him vs UG in a singles match is not the main event of the Anniversary Show.