Pro Wrestling Only

Current Lucha Talk

Grimmas

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just dropped. The first fall is awesome. That's about as far as I am now. Super Astro vs Fuerza is so great a match up.

EDIT: Awesome primera and segunda but the tercera is bogged down a bit with submissions being broken up. Great finishing stretch though. Definitely check it out. Better use of my time than New Day tag and Ambrose vs Ziggler definitely.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the Anniversary show was a lot of fun. Dragon Lee/Mascara wasn't quite Atlantis/Sombra from last year, but they did their best to make it memorable and Rush's involvement raises a lot of possibilities even if he came close to outshining the participants.

The 2 big trios matches also delivered what they set out to do, particularly the Barbaro/Felino/Casas vs. Atlantis/Caristico/Dorada match. All of the big matches were a breeze to sit through.

I know I'm late with this question but how was Caristico received on his return to CMLL? Is he even close to as over now as he was before he left for WWE?

He's popular but not nearly as over as he was before. You could argue it's either from people seeing him be less than successful in WWE or CMLL not booking him strongly like they were before when he was Cena-like in his unbeatability levels.

Watching TripleMania XV on AAA's YouTube channel today, and the whole Team Trump deal with Johnny Mundo coming out to "Born in the USA" with video of Trump speeches on the big screen is such a great old school heat seeking gimmick I half expected Lance Russell to be calling the match.

• 2 months later...

Holy shit Delta and Galactar killed it with this amazing mascara match. This felt like a real fight with a great atmosphere and crowd. Although it was mostly hate filled, there was some crazy dives too. Such drama, plus broom attacks.

If you are making a MOTY list without watching this match, your list will be lacking.

• 2 weeks later...

Just this weekend watched the Volador/Cavernario matches from 9/30 and 10/7 and thought they were phenomenal. Definitely will be in my 2016 MOTY consideration.

Those were really good. Cavenario had a sneaky really good year.

I've watched a bit of this week's lucha and damn was Guerrero Maya Jr/Soberano Jr/Titan vs Dragon Rojo Jr/Luciferno/Polvora a damn awesome match, probably go *** 1/2. Polvora/Dragon Rojo are really a great unit and had some great tandem offence. Soberano Jr and Titan are just nuts and so smooth. Some of the spots in this one where out of this world. Guerrero Maya jr was sloppy for some reason.

Caristico vs Ultimo Guerrero was a great match as well. Went ****. UG was in top notch form, and Caristico hit everything very well. The catch by UG on the outside into a power bomb was ridiculous. UG has had a great run this year.

I really enjoyed Delta/Galactar. Not quite Trauma I/Canis Lupus, but then again, what is? I think what I most liked about Delta/Galactar is that it is a great case study of how mask matches are really ensemble pieces and not just about the two guys fighting. You really need the seconds to play their part, and the referee. And finally, you need the right crowd to really make it feel important. The crowd were amazing, and if I gave out star ratings I would have added a * to whatever my rating was for the crowd reactions alone.

I just watched Caristico/Histeria for the mask and it was nowhere near as successful. The interactions with the referee and seconds felt clunky, I couldn't tell if the referee minded them using chairs or not (which made any "hide the chair" stuff fall flat) and there just wasn't enough hate and passion and drama for my liking.

Meanwhile, I'm really enjoying IWRG at the moment. You never know if you're going to see a classic or a complete shambles, but I think that is half the fun. The Imposible and Relámpago feud has been outstanding so far. Their non-title match at the start of the month was brilliant in and of itself (I could easily see it as one of the top 10 lucha matches I've seen this year), but also set up future matches really well. Their interactions in the recent weird relevos suicidas/mask match made made that match ultimately worth watching. They keep ramping up the hate, and I can't wait for the title match, and could well see a mask match in the future too.

So I decided I was gonna watch both lucha libre supershows from this year. Because why not ?

First, start with CMLL 83 Anniversario. Well, this would go down as the first complete lucha show I would watch. Only watched isolated matches over the years. And it was a blast. No bad match, although the luchadoras match wasn't exactly good, although good in spots.

The first trio match with the exotico and Shocker, who's now 1000% beer gut it seems, was quite fun. Quite a bit of comedy but also got me into the mood and pace. Old-ass Shocker seems fun enough. That Corleone guy is the blow-job babyface and knows how to throw a punch. Mephisto seems like a good worker.

Super Crazy vs Rey Buccanero was rough in spots, especially Rey doing the worst Canadian Destroyer ever, followed by the second worst Canadian Destroyer ever. Until then, it was quite the good old, fat & ugly luchadors match. Crazy is still that. I enjoyed it despite the blown stuff. Nice nearfalls toward the end. Yeah, nearfalls ! How foreign.

First big trios match was very good. So, Mistico came back under another name. It will get confusing later. I guess Negro Casas really is Mexico's Jushin Liger, he still looks mighty fine for his age, and in great shape to boot. Felino and his mascot was all goofy and shit, but I did laugh. Doradas I've seen before in Japan, and damn, that guy is amazing. So seems to be Cavernario, in his own style. Really good stuff.

Second big trios match was, well, great I guess. I had seen Los Guerreros once before, in Japan too. They rule. Ok, so who the fuck is this Mistico ? Plus he's basically wearing the old Mistico mask, isn't he ? So he kinda looks like Caristico. Isn't this awkard ? Volador directly endears himself to me by coming out to DM's "Personnal Jesus". Valiente is a stocky guy who can do tons of cool shit like Silver King, kinda. Well, I loved every minute of this. How can anyone not become a fan of Los Guerreros after just one match ? Hard to get ? To get what ? Come on people.

No idea what is the consensus of the main event. I thought it developed nicely into an excellent match. Holy shit, apron spots. Brutal. Are they going puroresu on my ass already ? You don't need to see a hundred match to feel how a low-blow aka foul is still *huge* in Mexico. This is nice. BTW, the heat is tremendous, and I'm not talking about the constant buzzing and horns that can be distracting for the first 20 minutes or so. I'm talking about heat for the babyface and against the bullshit. Yeah, well done epic match, although I have no idea who these two are, again, it doesn't take much "work" to get what is more or less happening there.

So yeah. Maybe because it's totally fresh to me, but this was the most fun current show I have watched probably all year (loved the NXT Takeovers but there was always some bad undercard match I didn't care one bit about, and some NJ undercard matches are kind of a chore to get through). Again, not to sound like an asshole, but the whole "lucha is hard to understand" seems a wee bit ridiculous to me. It took me about one match and a half to get used to the pace and get the oh-so-complex rules of the trios matches, complete with the way the first two falls usually happens. Yeah, it's a bit different. But on the other hand there's so much that is so obvious to any random pro-wrestling fan. More than when you get yourself a UWF-I show for the first time. Anyway. This was excellent.

Gonna watch Triplemania next, with a bunch of Lucha Underground people so it should be just as easy.

I did say it was probably too late at this point for me to "get into" lucha, after not caring to do so until then, but since I do contradict myself quite a bit IRL (especially about stuff I like to be wrong about), hey, maybe actually 2017 will be the year when I watch lucha libre on a regular basis. Why not ? It's fresh to me. And it's easy to do so now. So. There's more I could say about production (which kinda sucked, with TNA level fuck up by the director), or the overall atmosphere of the show (which I loved), but hey, if I buy myself a lucha mask for next year, I'll have more chance to adress those.

Lucha talk has put up a lucha MOTY playlist for everybody to enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIsRqe-vJk_tfZ60hGI9H_HOFhnwe7-Cn

Give me the best 8-10 of those and I'll cover them for my site. I'll give them as fair of a shot as I can.

Trauma I vs Canis Lupus is MOTY easily

Outside of that, the next best I've seen (and I haven't seen all these) are;

Kamaitachi vs Dragon Lee

Rush vs LA Park

Delta vs Galactar

Negro Casas vs Rey Hechicero

and the two Cavenario vs Volador Jr. matches

Report back, would love to hear it.

Give me the best 8-10 of those and I'll cover them for my site. I'll give them as fair of a shot as I can.

Kamaitachi vs Dragon Lee

Rush vs LA Park

Delta vs Galactar

I've watched Kamaitachi/DL and Cavernario/Dorada so far and...you're probably not going to like what I have to report back, lol. The ultra short falls in 2/3 matches is something that always drives me nuts, but short fall is normally like 5-8 minutes, not 90 seconds.

Kamaitachi vs Dragon Lee

Rush vs LA Park

Delta vs Galactar

I've watched Kamaitachi/DL and Cavernario/Dorada so far and...you're probably not going to like what I have to report back, lol. The ultra short falls in 2/3 matches is something that always drives me nuts, but short fall is normally like 5-8 minutes, not 90 seconds.

if you don't like it, you don't like it. Some of these have short falls, some do not.

So I decided I was gonna watch both lucha libre supershows from this year. Because why not ?

First, start with CMLL 83 Anniversario. Well, this would go down as the first complete lucha show I would watch. Only watched isolated matches over the years. And it was a blast. No bad match, although the luchadoras match wasn't exactly good, although good in spots.

The first trio match with the exotico and Shocker, who's now 1000% beer gut it seems, was quite fun. Quite a bit of comedy but also got me into the mood and pace. Old-ass Shocker seems fun enough. That Corleone guy is the blow-job babyface and knows how to throw a punch. Mephisto seems like a good worker.

Super Crazy vs Rey Buccanero was rough in spots, especially Rey doing the worst Canadian Destroyer ever, followed by the second worst Canadian Destroyer ever. Until then, it was quite the good old, fat & ugly luchadors match. Crazy is still that. I enjoyed it despite the blown stuff. Nice nearfalls toward the end. Yeah, nearfalls ! How foreign.

First big trios match was very good. So, Mistico came back under another name. It will get confusing later. I guess Negro Casas really is Mexico's Jushin Liger, he still looks mighty fine for his age, and in great shape to boot. Felino and his mascot was all goofy and shit, but I did laugh. Doradas I've seen before in Japan, and damn, that guy is amazing. So seems to be Cavernario, in his own style. Really good stuff.

Second big trios match was, well, great I guess. I had seen Los Guerreros once before, in Japan too. They rule. Ok, so who the fuck is this Mistico ? Plus he's basically wearing the old Mistico mask, isn't he ? So he kinda looks like Caristico. Isn't this awkard ? Volador directly endears himself to me by coming out to DM's "Personnal Jesus". Valiente is a stocky guy who can do tons of cool shit like Silver King, kinda. Well, I loved every minute of this. How can anyone not become a fan of Los Guerreros after just one match ? Hard to get ? To get what ? Come on people.

No idea what is the consensus of the main event. I thought it developed nicely into an excellent match. Holy shit, apron spots. Brutal. Are they going puroresu on my ass already ? You don't need to see a hundred match to feel how a low-blow aka foul is still *huge* in Mexico. This is nice. BTW, the heat is tremendous, and I'm not talking about the constant buzzing and horns that can be distracting for the first 20 minutes or so. I'm talking about heat for the babyface and against the bullshit. Yeah, well done epic match, although I have no idea who these two are, again, it doesn't take much "work" to get what is more or less happening there.

So yeah. Maybe because it's totally fresh to me, but this was the most fun current show I have watched probably all year (loved the NXT Takeovers but there was always some bad undercard match I didn't care one bit about, and some NJ undercard matches are kind of a chore to get through). Again, not to sound like an asshole, but the whole "lucha is hard to understand" seems a wee bit ridiculous to me. It took me about one match and a half to get used to the pace and get the oh-so-complex rules of the trios matches, complete with the way the first two falls usually happens. Yeah, it's a bit different. But on the other hand there's so much that is so obvious to any random pro-wrestling fan. More than when you get yourself a UWF-I show for the first time. Anyway. This was excellent.

Gonna watch Triplemania next, with a bunch of Lucha Underground people so it should be just as easy.

I did say it was probably too late at this point for me to "get into" lucha, after not caring to do so until then, but since I do contradict myself quite a bit IRL (especially about stuff I like to be wrong about), hey, maybe actually 2017 will be the year when I watch lucha libre on a regular basis. Why not ? It's fresh to me. And it's easy to do so now. So. There's more I could say about production (which kinda sucked, with TNA level fuck up by the director), or the overall atmosphere of the show (which I loved), but hey, if I buy myself a lucha mask for next year, I'll have more chance to adress those.

Watch TripleMania at your own peril.

I agree with your takes on the Anniversary Show, just good up and down. I really dug the main, but the UG trios might be my favourite of the night.