Pro Wrestling Only

Netflix creating a comedy series based on G.L.O.W.

goc

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, to recap why this will probably be awesome for those still on the fence:

- only 10 episodes

- Alison Brie as Ruth, an out-of-work actress who finds one last chance to live out her dreams in the form of a weekly series about female wrestlers

- Marc Maron will play Sam Sylvia, a washed-up Hollywood director who has a very complicated history with women — and now must lead 14 of them on the journey to wrestling stardom

• 9 months later...

Looks tremendous. I've just watched the first episode so far, but I definitely plan on seeing the rest of it soon. Gotta say - the costumes, the clothing, the songs selection, and just the atmosphere in general is terrific.

Plus, I mean... I'm only one episode in, and Alison Brie has already been naked like three times. So there's certainly that.

Oh. And, if the pilot is any indication, sleazy Maron should be an absolute blast.

The quick-clip promos at the end of episode 3 were fiyah. It's some of that old Saturday Night's Main Event shit. Camp. Cheese. Pro 'rasslin in its purest form.

Ethel & Edna, the Beat Down Biddies, are money acts. There's just no convincing me otherwise.

:lol: @ the drug-dispensing Rocky 4 robot. Classic.

I'm digging this show wayyy more than I'd expected.

I absolutely loved GLOW... so so so so good. Binged it this morning and afternoon. We weren't planning on it but we got hooked in.

It is so good, filled to the brim with one liners and tightly wound narratives. It gets wrestling, even when it kind of pokes fun and critiques it, and that was what where it could have really disappointment.

It is one of hose wrestling things that I can enjoy equally with non-wrestling fans I enjoy having those in my life.

Yes. Exactly. I'm watching it with two friends that totally don't care one way or another about actual wrestling, but they're eating this up right here with me.

I'm in the same boat today. Caught the first episode, stepped away to do some things around the house, rain started pouring down, and so we dove right back into the show. 5 episodes deep as we speak. It's easy viewing, for sure.

Speaking of episode 5 - that scene where Debbie attends her first live wrestling match and finally "gets it" is wonderful. That moment is magic.

Watched the whole season in one sitting last night with my girlfriend. She enjoyed it quite a bit, I thought it was too hokey. Which was maybe the point, but it just embarrassed me for them in many of the scenes with Alison Brie. The fabricated drama & over-the-top acting I think was too much for me.

I'm halfway through the series, and while this isn't quite as good as some of Netflix's best series (Stranger Things, One Day at a Time, Grace and Frankie, etc.), it's still pretty damn good. Hope it doesn't get cancelled after 2-3 seasons.

As someone who knew nothing about GLOW, just knowing there was a show being made about wrestling I thought I would give it a watch. First I watched the GLOW documentary to familiarize myself with the show then went straight to the episodes.

I'm 7 episodes in and enjoying it a lot. These episodes just fly by, like the characters, good story, Brie's Russian accent was annoying me for a while. I chuckled when I saw an apple in Carlito's hand (was that an intentional inside joke?). I think Netflix have another winner here, hope it gets renewed.

The only scene I hated was the 'miscarriage' scene. I get what they were doing but didn't find it funny at all. Don't know how other people can laugh at that.

(...) I chuckled when I saw an apple in Carlito's hand (was that an intentional inside joke?). (...)

You would assume so. By the way: I loved that the siblings of a native American are played by a Puerto Rican and a Caucassian. There is nothing more pro wrestling than that.

Here are my thoughts on the GLOW Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling show, coming from someone who has reviewed a lot of GLOW on this blog:

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/gorgeous-ladies-of-wrestling-glow-disk.html

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/glow-gorgeous-ladies-of-wrestling-disk.html

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/glow-disk-9-part-2.html

I've watched a lot of of GLOW. GLOW was different. They went with the basic gist of wrestling, but instead skipped the athletic/sports part and made it more of a variety show like a Hee-Haw that just happened to be about wrestling. The work was never that good but girls really got how to play characters. Sometimes, they would dip too far in the realm of unbelievability and that would hurt the show.

The show really stuck true to old Glow. The KKK were Sara and Mable and then the Housewives, Brittanica was Lady Godiva, Lady Liberty was Americana, The Russian was Ninotchka, the Fortune Cookie was Little Fiji or Spanish Red, the black girls were the Soul Patrol and the bigger girl was of course Mt. Fiji. Surprised a Matilda character didn't make the cut, but the Viking was close.

The GLOW netflix show was much better than I expected. I expected some comedy mockumentary making fun of pro wrestling and it wasn't that. They represented the girls better than GLOW ever did and they represented wrestling well. I didn't feel embarrassed. I think they very likely went into a lot of the struggles the GLOW girls had to go through and I think they helped people understand what wrestling is all about. I wouldn't be ashamed to show this to people and I think it could lead to people getting into wrestling.

All in all, this was really well done and I'm proud of what they did. Netflix really hit it out of the park here, though I didn't appreciate the anti-republican sentiment, especially with Netflix's history.

They also clearly left the door open to a second season and I think there's tons of stuff they could do with it. Here's some storylines I would do in a second season:

- Someone gets injured bad

- Non-glow girl wrestlers get angry at what they are doing and take stand.

- One of the girls gets angry for some reason and exposes GLOW's fakeness to the media

- Something goes too far and they get kicked off air

- More trouble with sponsors and money

- A Vince knockoff starts poaching the GLOW girls

- Say Lady Liberty starts refusing to do jobs

And there's really a ton more things you could get into, so this show does have legs. You could even do a last season where people start to get old and move onto their normal lives and can't due to wrestling mileage and other stuff, which would really take the show into a new territory.

It's also sad that the writers and Netflix seem to understand what pro wrestling is better than anyone else in wrestling right now. Wrestling is so simple and yet everyone has to complicate it and be as bland as possible in the process.

This has become one of those things where I just don't understand why I'm not seeing what everyone else is seeing. I found the show deadly dull--neither funny, nor dramatic nor touching. And I like a lot of the people involved--Brie, Maron, etc. I'll have to give it another shot at some point.

I can't get over how much Alison Brie is channeling Kristen Wiig, and not even top notch Wiig but "first 10 minutes of Bridesmaids pathetic" Wiig. Couple that with my distaste for Marc Maron and here's another show I won't watch.

Which means it'll be successful.

A few months ago, I watched the GLOW doc on Netflix. It was a low risk feel good doc about the promotion. Very much promoted the women and the community and life direction that a sleazy cash-in provided to them. Very punk rock in that the women turned a weird situation into something meaningful for themselves and others.

Saw that flick around the time this thread was on the first page of the board so, the doc's (re)appearance wasn't coincidental. That said I was looking forward to the "show."

First 15-20 minutes are good. Liked Meron's part lol etc....saw where the comedy part was coming from in a dark comedy but, the sex scene turned me off...no pun intended. Like wtf, you're trying to intro the show and main character and then boop! She's having sex drama.

Ya know because, having a show about women in a male dominated entertainment industry during its arguable zenith isn't interesting enough and having Brie & Meron isn't funny enough, we have to let people know there will be some boobage and ancillary romance crap to tune in for ???

I might give it a 2nd chance based off others opinions but, sheesh that got cheap real quick in episode one...