Pro Wrestling Only

Netflix creating a comedy series based on G.L.O.W.

goc

This has become one of those things where I just don't understand why I'm not seeing what everyone else is seeing. I found the show deadly dull--neither funny, nor dramatic nor touching. And I like a lot of the people involved--Brie, Maron, etc. I'll have to give it another shot at some point.

How far in are you? It picks up after about 3 episodes.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few months ago, I watched the GLOW doc on Netflix. It was a low risk feel good doc about the promotion. Very much promoted the women and the community and life direction that a sleazy cash-in provided to them. Very punk rock in that the women turned a weird situation into something meaningful for themselves and others.

Saw that flick around the time this thread was on the first page of the board so, the doc's (re)appearance wasn't coincidental. That said I was looking forward to the "show."

First 15-20 minutes are good. Liked Meron's part lol etc....saw where the comedy part was coming from in a dark comedy but, the sex scene turned me off...no pun intended. Like wtf, you're trying to intro the show and main character and then boop! She's having sex drama.

Ya know because, having a show about women in a male dominated entertainment industry during its arguable zenith isn't interesting enough and having Brie & Meron isn't funny enough, we have to let people know there will be some boobage and ancillary romance crap to tune in for ???

I might give it a 2nd chance based off others opinions but, sheesh that got cheap real quick in episode one...

The sex scene is a pretty big part of the story and sets up one of the main plots.

Finished it last night and enjoyed it. I didn't love it but it was definitely an easy watch. I won't repeat what others are saying but I got a very 'Orange is the New Black' vibe from the characterisation and dialogue; you get the sense that a Season 2 would bring certain characters forward and give them a chance to develop more.

This has become one of those things where I just don't understand why I'm not seeing what everyone else is seeing. I found the show deadly dull--neither funny, nor dramatic nor touching. And I like a lot of the people involved--Brie, Maron, etc. I'll have to give it another shot at some point.

How far in are you? It picks up after about 3 episodes.

I tapped out right around that point. But as I said, I'll probably give it another go eventually. I'm sure I was partially reacting to the dissonance between my tepid enjoyment and the outpouring of critical love.

That type of sex scene is NOT a regular occurrence, fwiw. Nudity almost disappears after the first two episodes.

The series to me is six or seven out of ten. I might not be as interested if the topic weren't wrestling.

Managed to watch two episodes so far. Enjoyable show. Betty Gilpin, who I recognized from a small but memorable part in American Gods, is definitely a 10 (she plays Ruth's best friend in the show, and was prominent in the conclusion of episode one, to say the least).

In the fifth (I think) episode they go see a wrestling show and meet Alex Riley. Is that building the one PWG runs in? Looked like it.

PWG only runs in one building now and yeah that was it. That building also appeared in the 2nd last episode of Mad Men.

Huh? I watched Mad Men - remind me of the scene.

Funny that someone suggested an injury angle for next season when one of the memories I have of GLOW was one of the cheerleader girls dislocating her elbow on a rollup and them showing it multiple times, Joe Theismann style.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How long until the second season though? If it's like the other Netflix shows, like Daredevil, Orange is the New Black, Stranger Things, etc. it's gonna be a year minimum. That's a long ass time to wait.

I'm used to waiting a year on stuff but Netflix has been dragging a bit behind which is worrisome. House of Cards usually loads up in February/March but this year it didn't come until the last day of May. (I noticed this with Homeland too, but I think it was made clear it would happen in those cases, because the election had caused such a stir in the waters that they needed the extra time to integrate elements of it into their shows as much as possible)

Worst of all is BoJack Horseman's new season will come next month, after dropping in July next year. I have a picky sense of humor and need desperately something to laugh at.

• 2 months later...

I've finally watched the first episode. At the 20 minutes point, I was in love with this stuff already. The pro-wrestling casting had me rolling. Amazing Kong ! Marking out. And in quite an odd way, it's exactly the kind of thing that makes me happy of having been a wrestling fan for the last 25 years, because it's I know I'm getting more out of this than non-fans. Can't wait to binge-watch the next episodes.