Pro Wrestling Only

[1931-01-09-Chicago, IL] Ed Don George vs Jack Wagner

fxnj

http://mirc.sc.edu/islandora/object/usc%3A14563

Really dig this. Feels like a BJJ exhibition match in that they're clearly feeding themselves into each other's moves, but there's still a pretty shooty feel to everything. Lots of really cool grappling on display here, including a banana split attempt towards the end of the file. Also interesting hearing the violinist during this as I had assumed before having live music during matches was just a new gimmick thought up by indy promotions in recent years. A bit hard to tell these guys apart, to the point that I'm not sure if George won in 2 straight falls and video is out of order or if it's 2/3 falls with a missing finish. Still enjoyed it a lot regardless.

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1931-01-09-Chicago] Ed Don George vs Jack Wagner

This match was for the AWA Boston World Heavyweight Championship which existed from 1928-1952.  It was defended throughout the country in Boston, LA, St Louis, Albany NY, San Francisco, Buffalo, Cleveland and Columbus OH, Chicago, and also internationally in Montreal

AWA Boston Version, World Heavyweight Championship Ed Don George defends against Jack Wagner

• GSR changed the title to [1931-01-09-Chicago, IL] Ed Don George vs Jack Wagner
  • 3 years later...

Really cool footage. I agree that it was tough to distinguish at points but I believe George was the aggressor for most of the exchanges here and he looked pretty fantastic. The armbar counter in particular was really interesting to see in 1931 as it was a primitive version of a Fujiwara.  This certainly made me want to seek out more George.