Pro Wrestling Only

Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerwon/status/975869776500158464?s=21

Dave says the Prichard show is a work too.

Well, if DAVE said it...

I'm not sure why people jump on Bruce for not burying the company. The whole thing is a glimpse inside of the thinking of the office at the time. You're going to get the defense of ideas that seem horrible in retrospect. That's the whole idea.

I'm all about Bruce being combative and being a WWF apologist. It's his gimmick, it's what makes his show a "work" :rolleyes: and as I said - if he wanted to try and defend pretty much any of the other stupid crap the WWF/WWE had done, as a fan I'd totally get that. But he has stated he disagreed with some stuff over the past year, and this one particular issue to me is indefensible. I am expressing my disappointment that he either didn't break character on this issue, or he legitimately is trying to excuse it.

The defense of the promo was bad -- and once Prichard said that Gewirtz wrote it, you had to know it was coming -- but I actually thought the discussion that immediately followed it was more, um, illuminating:

- countering that people would have thought it was okay if the Rock had said "nappy hair" instead

- calling Booker a "realist" for going with the flow (including a offhand mention/joke of "you're black? really?" after saying how Booker is proud and is willing to stand up for "being a man")

- a bizarre hokey-pokey into a discussion of minority stars like JYD, Eddy, Rey Misterio and (amazingly) Alberto Del Rio being draws because they drew "everybody", while also asserting that it's Marketing 101 to market minority stars to their groups/communities

Without getting into more political territory (since there's a whole forum for that), I'll just say that I don't think it's all that hard to discern how Prichard views the situation if you consider those comments and the rest of the defense that Bruce tried to forward for the angle. He acknowledges that it was wrong, that it was a different time, and that he'd hope that 2018 WWE wouldn't go there, but he doesn't really say why. Ultimately, I think Bruce sees the controversy as being more about the blowback than the real underlying issue, which sort of reveals that he doesn't really see the issue at all (which is why he reflexively turtles up when Conrad pressures him on the R-word).

I'm all about Bruce being combative and being a WWF apologist. It's his gimmick, it's what makes his show a "work" :rolleyes: and as I said - if he wanted to try and defend pretty much any of the other stupid crap the WWF/WWE had done, as a fan I'd totally get that. But he has stated he disagreed with some stuff over the past year, and this one particular issue to me is indefensible. I am expressing my disappointment that he either didn't break character on this issue, or he legitimately is trying to excuse it.

It's part of his gimmick (maybe desired reality too since he blows Shawn now too and Shawn is also tied into the company) to defend anything HHH is involved in too, especially where HHH seems to come out booked strong. But I wouldn't be surprised if he worked himself into believing some of this stuff given all the hoops he went through for this one. It reminded me of his veiled racism against Sasha Banks early on in this show's run, which he tried to downplay and similarly tried to imply if you noticed the racism, well then yes, it must've been you who was really the racist.

The real test of the Prichard desires a job will be if they ever hire Nash for something because Bruce has loved taking shots at Nash before when he's gotten chances. He's cut back slightly, but it'll be really noticeable if Nash gets hired for any type of WWE job and then Bruce bends over to praise him the next topic.

Apart from this Booker vs HHH nonsense (he really wasn't trying anymore when Conrad referred to the fact Hunter took forever to cover Booker, which *never* happens that way), I thought the rest of the episode was actually really good. WM 19 is a fascinating topic.

As far as the STWW Houston episode, I read nothing but positive comments on social media at the time it came out, Bruce sounded really passionate but Conrad didn't know a damn thing about Houston and he never knew the footage was out and therefore couldn't contribute at all.

Cant wait to watch that Territories episode, Love the Houston territory. I just wish the footage would resurface again. DAMN YOU BILLY CORGAN.

I remember at the time thinking the Houston episode was one of the best they'd done. Conrad was irritating, but he was acting all butthurt about Bruce doing the bingo calls on the ECW-centric stuff - and it felt like Conrad was trying to have some fun by shitting on Houston as a response. That rubbed some people the wrong way, but Bruce's actual story itself was worthwhile.

I've finally been listening to earlier episodes if they're topics I'm into (IE. the Prime Time Wrestling episode, which was a lot of fun. And Bruce discussing how they chose The Manhattan Center for RAW as so fascinating. I wish the show was just stuff like that) and I'm finding enough neat stuff to listen. But as someone who is just kinda neutral on Dave Meltzer the over the top schtick dislike of Dave really turns me off. I get that it's schtick and this is what most of his listernerbase is honestly the most into and it's what keeps people listening, but man. Sometimes you get a real good discussion/insider look into the mind of Vince McMahon and then Conrad mentions Dave and Bruce has to go into his usual "sigh and then complain about the dirtsheets not knowing anything" and I find myself just skipping over it until he's done.

The official YouTube channel is really nice because it gives you snippets from episodes so I get a lot of stuff I'm interested in without all the fat.

Conrad's new gimmick of saying something away from the mic multiple times per ep is as annoying as hell

He always finds a way. I can't really bear to listen to any of his podcasts, despite the occasional topic that really should interest me.

If true, then that'll likely spell the end of my interest in this little project. Decent timing though, since I've stopped caring about any of the Schiavone stuff and Corny's podcast has found renewed life. I'm digging a lot of his recent talking points. I get that people were turned off by some of his ranting and shit for awhile there (myself included), but Corny's been bringing plenty of great insight and wrestling discussion again lately. I've been pleasantly surprised.

Most recent 605 Holiday Special really goes to town on Prichard from the 1.36 mark...

http://605pod.com/

I just saw this, but my phone's acting wonky here at work tonight and won't let me access the 605 Soopah pod. Mind recapping what this was about?

Per a commercial during the HOF broadcast, the podcast is coming to the WWE Network. You read that correctly. Ridiculous.

I saw that coming… Yep, it's probably gonna be the end for me.

It's being called "Something Else to Wrestle With" which means it could just be a WWE production apart from the original show.

Regardless, Prichard being on the WWE payroll in any shape makes the whole thing completely worthless.

If true, then that'll likely spell the end of my interest in this little project. Decent timing though, since I've stopped caring about any of the Schiavone stuff and Corny's podcast has found renewed life. I'm digging a lot of his recent talking points. I get that people were turned off by some of his ranting and shit for awhile there (myself included), but Corny's been bringing plenty of great insight and wrestling discussion again lately. I've been pleasantly surprised.

From which episode would you recommend picking back up on the Cornette podcast ? I was a regular listener back a few years ago then stopped listening (even before the whole host quiting debacle).

Per a commercial during the HOF broadcast, the podcast is coming to the WWE Network. You read that correctly. Ridiculous.

I saw that coming… Yep, it's probably gonna be the end for me.

It's being called "Something Else to Wrestle With" which means it could just be a WWE production apart from the original show.

Regardless, Prichard being on the WWE payroll in any shape makes the whole thing completely worthless.

From which episode would you recommend picking back up on the Cornette podcast ? I was a regular listener back a few years ago then stopped listening (even before the whole host quiting debacle).

A few episodes before Christmas, when he started covering different periods of his career in depth. There's one on 14th December that covers December 1984, for example.

• GSR changed the title to Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard