Pro Wrestling Only

Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard

If true, then that'll likely spell the end of my interest in this little project. Decent timing though, since I've stopped caring about any of the Schiavone stuff and Corny's podcast has found renewed life. I'm digging a lot of his recent talking points. I get that people were turned off by some of his ranting and shit for awhile there (myself included), but Corny's been bringing plenty of great insight and wrestling discussion again lately. I've been pleasantly surprised.

Most recent 605 Holiday Special really goes to town on Prichard from the 1.36 mark...

http://605pod.com/

I just saw this, but my phone's acting wonky here at work tonight and won't let me access the 605 Soopah pod. Mind recapping what this was about?

Let's see....he called Pritchard a loser, said he wasn't intellectually curious - basically a sheep for everything fed to him by the MCMahons. To be fair, Last and Prichard have wildly different approaches to their podcasts so this doesn't come as a surprise...

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per a commercial during the HOF broadcast, the podcast is coming to the WWE Network. You read that correctly. Ridiculous.

I saw that coming… Yep, it's probably gonna be the end for me.

It's being called "Something Else to Wrestle With" which means it could just be a WWE production apart from the original show.

Regardless, Prichard being on the WWE payroll in any shape makes the whole thing completely worthless.

If true, then that'll likely spell the end of my interest in this little project. Decent timing though, since I've stopped caring about any of the Schiavone stuff and Corny's podcast has found renewed life. I'm digging a lot of his recent talking points. I get that people were turned off by some of his ranting and shit for awhile there (myself included), but Corny's been bringing plenty of great insight and wrestling discussion again lately. I've been pleasantly surprised.

From which episode would you recommend picking back up on the Cornette podcast ? I was a regular listener back a few years ago then stopped listening (even before the whole host quiting debacle).

A few episodes before Christmas, when he started covering different periods of his career in depth. There's one on 14th December that covers December 1984, for example.

I personally find Corny reading his own results to be death as he just goes on and on and Last doesn't chime in. There is largely a lack of discussion and I zone out fast.

I love Corny BTW, watch and listen to everything he does, so I'm not just a hater.

Per a commercial during the HOF broadcast, the podcast is coming to the WWE Network. You read that correctly. Ridiculous.

I saw that coming… Yep, it's probably gonna be the end for me.

It's being called "Something Else to Wrestle With" which means it could just be a WWE production apart from the original show.

Regardless, Prichard being on the WWE payroll in any shape makes the whole thing completely worthless.

Yep, that frees up some podcast time.

The Goldberg episode was interesting. I recently watched the special WWE produced on him for the Network, and didn't realize just how bad the situation was for him in 2003-4. I was a reluctant fan by then as I was still pretty sore about WCW going under, so seeing him on their show was a highlight for me and I was sad that he left, but it all makes a lot of sense now especially in the light of his latest run when they seemingly figured how to use him correctly.

He does.

The basic synopsis is that despite resistance and seeing clearly that he was all about business with little love for the industry after what happened to him before, Vince wanted to show him that this wasn't WCW and perhaps could make Bill Goldberg more of a team player through his company's more familial approach.

I watched the special on him on the Network, and looking back I can see how misused he was in 2003-4 and how much of that landed on everyone, not just Goldberg. That's certainly evident in how they got it right more recently.

They don't talk about it a whole lot, except for Conrad to bring it up a few times occasionally in the show to subliminally tell the audience how stupid he thought it was like he does regularly on the show. I can think of worse things they did, like not having him squash Christian in his debut match or having it pointed out later on that Batista is much bigger than him on commentary.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the debut of the Network show tonight. Honestly, it really wasn't all that different from their podcast, and I'm not sure that is a good thing. The only major difference is they make an obvious effort not to say fuck. It's just a split-screen of Bruce and Conrad. The video quality is poor, it looks like a recording of their Skype call or webcam or something. Production wise, I would have expected a lot more. The only good thing was that when they talked about a particular match or incident, the event in question was shown on the screen, which was good. I think if they want to make this compelling over the long term, they need to ramp up the production values a lot. Then again, the podcast does insane numbers on it's own, so maybe this will just be an introduction for other fans to their existing formula.

The topic was Wrestlemaina 14. The content was okay. Bruce defended everything creative did, of course. He took his usual shots at Meltzer and his review of the show. The one major takeaway from this show is that Bruce confirmed that the Undertaker did indeed let Shawn Michaels see him taping his fists before Michaels went to the ring - the clear implication being that if Michaels didn't do business, he'd have to answer to the Undertaker when he got to the back. Prichard claims this happened at the "Gorilla Position" right in front of him. This is interesting, because for years Michaels has claimed in interviews and his book that it never happened, despite The Undertaker saying that it did.

The one major takeaway from this show is that Bruce confirmed that the Undertaker did indeed let Shawn Michaels see him taping his fists before Michaels went to the ring - the clear implication being that if Michaels didn't do business, he'd have to answer to the Undertaker when he got to the back. Prichard claims this happened at the "Gorilla Position" right in front of him. This is interesting, because for years Michaels has claimed in interviews and his book that it never happened, despite The Undertaker saying that it did.

Cornette confirmed this story in his 1997 Timeline as well I think. Guess I'll pass on this episode then if no major ground gets covered.

Guess I'll pass on this episode then if no major ground gets covered.

They discuss Mike Tyson being brought in for Wrestlemania for quite a while. The problem is, if you're a long term fan of the show then you've heard this all before. In the Royal Rumble 98 and No Way Out 98 shows, Conrad and Bruce go through the entire deal with Mike Tyson from start to finish in great detail. So by the time you get to Wrestlemania 14, there really isn't all that much more ground to cover, really - but they go through it again. So that was kind of boring. And as a show, Wrestlemania 14 really isn't all that good, so there wasn't much to discuss there, either. This was apparently their most requested episode, and I suppose as an introduction for new fans it might have had some appeal, but for long term fans it was really not all that interesting.

I'm much more looking forward to the RVD episode on Friday. Of course, Bruce will vehemently deny that Triple H held RVD down, even though RVD himself has said that it's a fact - but I'm still looking forward to the show anyhow.

I don't think I can handle staring at Bruce and Conrad for a whole episode. I kind of think if they can't pay to have a "talk show" style set and professional cameras like the other WWE Network versions of podcasts, they should forgo the interview style for these and instead maybe do running commentaries over footage of actual matches

I'm much more looking forward to the RVD episode on Friday. Of course, Bruce will vehemently deny that Triple H held RVD down, even though RVD himself has said that it's a fact - but I'm still looking forward to the show anyhow.

I guess that RVD would have asked Bruce to pick a hand pretty easily.

And yeah, not listening to a "clean", WWE approved version of the podcast. I'm afraid it will take its toll on the original one.

I watched the first episode of Something Else To Wrestle on the WWE Network.

I really enjoyed it. If you really like Something To Wrestle With, you'll really like Something Else To Wrestle.

I'm happy it was very similar to their regular podcast.

It was cool they had some video footage of stuff Bruce and Conrad were talking about.

I look forward to the next episode.

My thoughts on the WWE Network version of this:

(Note: I'm new to Bruce Prichard and Conrad Thompson. I have not listened to their podcast before, but I have read the recaps on PWPodcasts.com.)

First of all, the content is INCREDIBLE - "Dave Meltzer would have given Kane vs. Undertaker 18 stars if Kane had set the Tokyo Dome on fire" haha! - and some of Prichard's imitations are spot-on. Others are...less so. Cornette sounds like a chipmunk, Heyman sounds nothing Heyman, and Patterson is impossible to understand. With that said, he at least nailed the word choices Cornette and Heyman would make. Also, the argument between Prichard and Conrad about Prichard kissing Triple H's ass felt really forced, as did Conrad constantly sucking Meltzer's teet by quoting him seemingly every ten seconds. But that's obviously their shtick. Overall, it's fantastic.

But what the hell is the deal with the piss-poor production values?

1. Prichard's feed is choppy as hell, to the point where I thought something was wrong with my connection.

2. Conrad Thompson's feed is even worse - choppy too, low res, just awful.

3. The entire presentation looks like shit. Really ugly blue borders and boxes for Bruce and Conrad that are actually crooked on the screen.

4. Very little video footage.

Geez, Conrad wasn't kidding when he said he didn't really work for WWE Network, because there's no way WWE had anything to do with this. That's a plus content-wise but a minus in every other way. How hard would it be for WWE to give these guys a studio or oversee the production in some way? It looks abysmally bad. I've seen amateur YouTubers with more professional presentations - I'm not kidding.

Edit:

The one major takeaway from this show is that Bruce confirmed that the Undertaker did indeed let Shawn Michaels see him taping his fists before Michaels went to the ring - the clear implication being that if Michaels didn't do business, he'd have to answer to the Undertaker when he got to the back. Prichard claims this happened at the "Gorilla Position" right in front of him. This is interesting, because for years Michaels has claimed in interviews and his book that it never happened, despite The Undertaker saying that it did.

I believe both of them.

How is that it possible?

Prichard is probably right that it happened.

But I also believe Michaels' denial. When your back is in that much pain, you're not looking around - you're focusing straight ahead and trying to block out the pain as much as you can (which is nearly impossible, BTW) - so I can totally buy that Shawn may not have even noticed Undertaker. Plus, Shawn was on a variety cocktails on top of that.

It's Bruce, not Tom. ;)

And I finally got around to filling in the gaps and listening to the few past episodes I'd missed. The XFL episode was tremendous - a great companion piece to Ebersol's 30 For 30. I really enjoyed it, and it served as a solid reminder of why I originally enjoyed the show in the first place.

I still dig most of their current stuff, too. It's just that they lean WAYYY more into their shtick and routine now. And Conrad can occasionally overdo it with the results reading. But there are more hits than misses most weeks.

I won't be seeking out the Network eps or anything, but I'll continue to follow the MLW content as long as it exists over there.

• GSR changed the title to Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard