Pro Wrestling Only

Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well to be fair, even the MLW announcer guy can't seem to get the title right as he announces it as "Something to wrestle" instead of "Something to wrestle WITH"

The MLW announcer on both Bruce's and Flair's show seems to get the pronunciations wrong every week when they did a mini commercial about the other shows on the MLW Network.

Yeah. It's only five deep, but all episodes have been enjoyable so far.

Glad to hear they're open to feedback and willing to tinker with the format.

Conrad is so rich in his role - asking all the right questions and calling Bruce's bluff in just about every situation you'd want him to do it.

The show gets bonus points for Bruce's Big Dust and Macho Man impersonations, and now we get Stu added to the list. Tremendous.

I thought I recalled Austin saying that and possibly narrating it on a video? I could be off on that though....

Ah, fair enough then. It was just something I'd never heard of read before and I would've thought it would have been the kind of thing reported in the Observer or I would have heard Austin talk about it on his podcast at some point.

Interesting to hear Patterson's response to the screwjob (on SCSAS), talking about how he was angry and went to the bar to drink for a while, compared to Prichard, who sounded more let down by thinking Vince couldn't trust him.

I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that Patterson and Bret were a lot closer than Bruce & Bret. Patterson would have been more pissed that Vince screwed Bret than not being in the loop.

• 2 weeks later...

Judging by the people @'ing Dave on Twitter, Bruce made the claim on his show that Dave's brief time consulting for the WWE was a quid pro quo for positive coverage in the Observer. Dave dismissed it as nonsense, but I wonder if that's what Vince was looking to get out of the deal since Vince would go pretty hard at them at the time (1987).

When was Dave ever overly favorable to WWF in the 80s or 90s? Even a passing knowledge of what the Observer was like in those days would tell you that Bruce's statement is bullshit (and that's coming from someone who really likes his podcast) yet you have idiots going "oh yep I 100% believe that is true because Bruce said it!"

Dave's deal with the WWF was for information about Japan.

Up until the steroid scandal, Dave wasn't particularly critical of WWF either though and gave credit where it was due, especially in the areas of production and the television product, the matches / wrestling quality less so.

Yes, the occasional moan that Dibiase was being wasted with Hercules or Owen Hart wasted as Blue Blazer or whatever, but it seems to me that through that whole time frame Dave was far far more critical of Dusty's booking than he was of Vince's. But that could just be even-handedness on Dave's part calling it like he sees it. I mean WWF was generally well booked and promoted in late 80s and NWA / WCW generally wasn't, even if it had the better match quality. Also, it's always seemed more like 80s Dave sees through the eyes of an NWA fan seeing his side getting beaten every week, whereas when he reports on Titan he feels more like a journalist.

None of this has anything to do with what Pritchard has alleged (not listened yet), but just some observations.

Just listened to the open and Bruce really lays into the dirtsheets pretty hard calling Meltzer and co the biggest marks going who have been "worked by the boys" for years, reserving special contempt for Bruce Mitchell.

I actually thought the much more interesting part than the idea that Vince was paying off Dave, was the idea that Dave has consistently put over his chief informats (Flair was the only one named, by Conrad pushing Bruce, but by implication that's also Ross and Cornette, among others) in exchange for information.

There might be a little bit to that actually. Dave seldom has a bad word to say about Flair in 80s and even into 90s. He seldom if ever criticises Jim Ross on commentary -- I've read through his coverage in of WCW in 1992 over the past year of WTBBPs, and Ross didn't have a banner year imo, but Dave never picks him up on anything. He generally sides with Cornette in his various contract disputes, etc. etc.

I think if there's any interesting point made by Pritchard in that opening diatribe, it's that. But it's all done by implication since Flair and Corny are right there as MLW stable mates. Who was Dave's inside guy at WWF?

• GSR changed the title to Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard