Pro Wrestling Only

Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce said on episode 22 that Christopher Daniels was supposed to have been the Higher Power in WWE during the Attitude Era. I know he said it, but I call BS. That big of an angle and a reveal like that, even though I think Christopher Daniels is great, would have just resulted in almost everyone going 'Who?'. Daniels was under a developmental deal at this time and worked as a jobber on the B-shows and under a mask as Dos in Los Conquistadores against the Hardys. I can't believe he would have been considered for that spot.

I don't think he's saying it was always going to build to a big reveal. Instead, Daniels just would be been a new character brought in for a big role. And if it was a Russo idea like Bruce said, then Russo bringing it back (albeit for a week) in WCW a year later when Vampiro was cosplaying as Undertaker makes perfect sense.

This. If you look at the track record and sheets, Russo as a talent evaluator is clearly a strange cat. He pushed lots of guys he liked with bad track records, Jeff Jarrett being one of the most famous, but you've also got weird stuff like Big Vito getting lots of air time, or him pushing the worthless Harris Brothers...because....reasons? (aka probably how he knew them from WWE and they got along ok.)

Vito goes back for a long time with Russo though.

• 3 weeks later...

This XFL episode is hilarious if you saw the 30 For 30

Only real weak spot was Bruce claiming that it made a small profit after they liquidated all of the unnamed assets. The thing is...I don't think he was intentionally working here? Especially since he outright said that everyone can just check the SEC reports because they're a public company. He's noticeably toned down the rhetoric as of late and I came out of the show thinking it was something WWE staff was told as opposed to Bruce trying to work the listeners.

Am I being totally naive here? As the show has gotten more popular it's come off like Bruce has gotten more comfortable and not needing to tell tall tales nearly as much. So in this case, where he outright told people to look up the documentation contradicting what he said...he has to be repeating something he was told or confusing it with another WWE non wrestling project, right?

My guess would be that he genuinely believes it. I would at the very least believe it wasn't as massive a loss for them because NBC was an equal partner. Add to the fact that WWE was doing good business at the time, whatever pains they felt weren't as long-lasting as the massive failure of the XFL would have you believe.

It's funny to me that Bruce says there was this "us vs. them" attitude between his crew and the NBC people. Having to explain to someone not familiar with their programming that it's okay that a crowd full of people is calling the owner's daughter a slut (and likely worse) in front of a live national audience, probably made some of the people on Ebersol's side scratch their heads as to why they're doing business with them in the first place.

From everything Bruce Tharpe said on podcasts when the service started up, the whole reason he got involved with the Houston footage is because the WWE made really low ball offers for the footage. I have no idea what money Tharpe has or hasn't given the Boesch family but it seems like the WWE weren't offering a whole lot and that's how he ended up involved.

The WrestleMania 9 show was actually a little boring. Not that I blame either Conrad or Bruce for it, but the topic wasn't as juicy as I thought it would be. It got a little interesting towards the end regarding the decision to end it the way they did. Also that Vince and others knew Doink could be a babyface as early as that day.

Yeah something seemed off with the ordering/editing of the Mania 9 episode with the repeated asking of questions. But I did like Conrad' s evisceration of Bruce's flimsy of "Hulk needed to go to Europe with the title. Bruce did have the line of the episode with "that vulture was an asshole to work with ".

This is my favorite wrestling podcast. I like hearing the "office perspective " and the different things that go into promoting and marketing the events. I know Bruce can lean on the BS meter, but he's a really engaging storyteller. I also know that he's running with the "hate Meltzer" gimmick, but it does seem that Meltzer is wrong as often as he's right.

• GSR changed the title to Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard