Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

When New Japan ran a show in Charlotte last month, they apologized for the lack of Japanese talent and said that the shutdown had prevented their visas from being processed. This led to a "Fuck you Trump" chant, which shows how much both Charlotte and wrestling crowds have changed. Can you imagine a "Fuck you Reagan" chant at a JCP show in the 80s?

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, sek69 said:

To keep it as Pro Wrestling Only as possible, it seems that the current admin has made the visa process more complicated than it used to be. 

Yeah, it is affecting everyone including WWE/NXT.

Visas are a hard thing to talk about in Pro Wrestling as there will non-US citizens working at Wrestlemania weekend on a visitor's Visa. A lot of indie promoters won't deal with wrestlers if they don't have the right paperwork but still many do.

Hijo de Fantasma, Joey Ryan, Ivelisse & Kobra Moon have been granted releases from Lucha Underground. I guess Ryan has ties why AEW already (he's been all over BIT). WWE apparently had interest in Fantasma (because they did such a good job with Andrade). I would love to see Ivelisse and/or Kobra Moon land in iMPACT/AEW.

I feel like Ivelisse would be a good fit for AEW is she's healthy and keeps whatever personal issues she has at bay.

I heard somewhere that Fantasma is bound for somewhere besides WWE/AEW/Impact, which makes me wonder if he's going to spend some time in New Japan or ROH or both. Could have been just a rumor of course.

On 3/27/2019 at 7:02 PM, Ricky Jackson said:

Not sure how easily accessible outside of Canada it is, but the Kenny Omega doc that aired on TSN is really good 

This is out there on all the major rainstorm networks.

I really enjoyed this while watching it and kinda loathe it upon reflection. It's very well produced and they got all the right talking heads but at the end of the day this just feels like a hollow re-telling of a pro wrestling angle that they're trying to retcon as a shoot. It'd be like listening to Triple H and Stephanie talk about their relationship only using references from their on-screen characters. A pleasant watch, but nothing earth-shattering really. 

Just watched the new Dumbo movie (you have to do these things when you have a 7 year old), and the answer to "who would play Vince McMahon in a movie" is without a doubt Michael Keaton. I don't know if he's a wrestling fan, but his character in this movie was so Vince-like it's uncanny. 

I just figured it was the term people used for the time after the Attitude Era and before the current PG/Network Era. Kind of like how the reigns of Japanese Emperors get decided after the fact. So like 2002-2013 or so? I suppose deciding when the AE officially ended would spawn another heated debate. 

Thank you Loss!!!

Think we have to blame the Attitude Era for making people try to define other periods by their marketing slogans.  Shit you not, i’ve seen someone call late-80s WWF the “What the World is Watching Era”.

But really i always thought “Ruthless Aggression Era” was meant to describe that period where Cena actually was Super Cena, we got all those cup-of-coffee randos like the Dicks and Kizarny and Braden Walker, and the Internet was trying to talk itself into Mr. Kennedy and Ted DiBiase Jr. as the future of wrestling.  Feel like Punk & Bryan breaking into the main event scene marked the end of this period, with WWE realizing they could just mine the indies & Japan.

18 minutes ago, funkdoc said:

But really i always thought “Ruthless Aggression Era” was meant to describe that period where Cena actually was Super Cena, we got all those cup-of-coffee randos like the Dicks and Kizarny and Braden Walker, and the Internet was trying to talk itself into Mr. Kennedy and Ted DiBiase Jr. as the future of wrestling.

Yeah, that would be it. Definitely the Cena at its peak era.

1 hour ago, funkdoc said:

Thank you Loss!!!

Think we have to blame the Attitude Era for making people try to define other periods by their marketing slogans.  Shit you not, i’ve seen someone call late-80s WWF the “What the World is Watching Era”.

But really i always thought “Ruthless Aggression Era” was meant to describe that period where Cena actually was Super Cena, we got all those cup-of-coffee randos like the Dicks and Kizarny and Braden Walker, and the Internet was trying to talk itself into Mr. Kennedy and Ted DiBiase Jr. as the future of wrestling.  Feel like Punk & Bryan breaking into the main event scene marked the end of this period, with WWE realizing they could just mine the indies & Japan.

But I think you have to separate that into the HHH Death Era, then the Cena Era and then maybe something else again around the time Punk and Bryan get to the top of the card.

I always looked at it like this:

- 97' - 01' Attitude Era. This era ends with the WCW buyout. 

- 02'-05' Ruthless Aggression. HHH, Lesnar, and Angle on top. Storylines are generally tasteless. Matches are even more violent than in Attitude Era, but garner less response. Mainstream culture moves on. WWE becomes last bastion for Nu Metal. Envelopes being pushed just to push them (HLA, for example). Ratings plummet as teen boys learn that they can go to internet for this. 

- 06' - 14' The Cena/PG Era. Less violent, less overtly sexist, way more meta. Sadly, same level of Nu Metal for some reason. Sure, there are flickers of indie wrestling influence seeping in, but by this point, the WWE is so big that the content - good or bad - takes a back seat to the global expansion. 

- 2014 - Present: The Network Era. Really just a natural continuation of the decade before it. Again, as fans, we care about content, but the WWE is more successful than ever before because of expanding markets. Plus, thanks to the Network, its not just a "PG" brand anymore - its an "everything for everyone" one-stop shop where you can go back and watch old ECW, old WWE, old territory shows, etc. 

8 hours ago, DMJ said:

- 2014 - Present: The Network Era. Really just a natural continuation of the decade before it. Again, as fans, we care about content, but the WWE is more successful than ever before because of expanding markets. Plus, thanks to the Network, its not just a "PG" brand anymore - its an "everything for everyone" one-stop shop where you can go back and watch old ECW, old WWE, old territory shows, etc. 

And they still do Nu Metal videos.