Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyway,  thought it was funny the reviewer took the time to bag Ronda's performance in particular. There's a reason most movies/games that use voice actors either go all professional voice actors or all celebrities for their voiceover work. When you mix and match it really makes the ones who don't do it for a living stand out in a not-good way.

On 4/24/2019 at 12:52 PM, The Thread Killer said:

If that show was on iPPV I'd probably watch it, but I don't see where it's available anywhere.  I assume it's going to be filmed?

EDIT: Oh wait, it's available on Fite TV.

It'll also be on Honor Club.

Feels like it should be a fun show - Briscoes-RnR should be delightfully strange, and I think Aldis-Scurll should be fun - Aldis is great when he has someone fun to work with.

26 minutes ago, Migs said:

I think Aldis-Scurll should be fun - Aldis is great when he has someone fun to work with.

Here's my question...and I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm being serious.  Is Scurll capable of being in a great or even above average match?  Because I've never seen one.  The few matches of his I've seen from NJPW and ROH have all been passable at best.  I have serious doubts that he is capable of leading a great match, but I don't even know if he's able to be carried to a great match.  Is there such thing is a great Marty Scrull match?  Every time I think of him, I think of an idiot with a low class British accent flapping his arms about like a mental patient.  I've a lot of time for Aldis but I have my serious doubts about Scrull.

Well, I meant more from a build and character perspective, as I think they've done really good stuff together leading to the show. I'm excited to see them pay off the build.

Scurll's absolutely capable of a great match, although agreed that he's very inconsistent in singles matches. I think a lot of that is due to how over he is, oddly - most of the time in ROH, people are there to see his schtick, especially since he's frequently working someone who's essentially a JTTS. I loved the match with Okada at All In (although having a great match with Okada doesn't say much) and he's had some very good ones in New Japan (the title match with Ospreay last year was excellent, and not just as a spotfest, and I think Scurll was a big part of it).

I'm honestly not sure how the match with Aldis will pan out from a work perspective, but I enjoy that they've played up their legit history and that Scurll has actually been manipulative and villainous in the build (as opposed to the cartoon of that he often is). I think they have the potential for a poor man's version of Cody-Aldis from All In - a crowd of grown men will not sob at the end of this, but they could tell a compelling story in a *** match.

I was talking to my brother about 80s wrestling and he said that he had seen very little Crockett footage besides a few matches on various WWE DVDs. So I decided to put together a set for him of a bunch of matches as well as angles and promos.  So far I got 225 matches lined up and thinking about doing a bunch of bonus footage in the form of the DVDVR 80s sets.

On 5/6/2019 at 12:49 AM, Superstar Sleeze said:

Dude definitely share the set list when you get a chance! I have only reviewed around 75 Crockett matches so definitely looking for more! 

Just to let you know that I posted the list in my Crockett Appreciation thread.

12 years ago, Cody Rhodes debuted on WWE TV and now he's heralding a competitor to WWE with a hugely appealing creative direction. My question is; which "superstar" who has debuted in WWE/NXT since January is going to be massively influential 10 years down the line and we don't even realise yet? I'm plumping for Eric Bugenhagen 

40 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

Been watching World Class from the beginning on the Network, and that description is spot on amazing!!

I've been doing the same thing since listening to the Lapsed Fan stuff. Fritz is super unlikable in the promos he does with his sons. 

Fritz just seems like a totally unlikeable human being from top to bottom.

I'd also like to say that the moment Jay Saldi disappeared may have been the happiest moment of my life. Though I guess I have several more years of Bill Mercer saying "Wrassling" to look forward too.

I would argue that Saldi was "so bad he's good" for providing laughs with his constant referencing wrestlers from other territories and comically mispronouncing their names. As soon as Saldi leaves and Mercer is alone I was hit in the face by just how poor a commentator Mercer was. No enthusiasm, malapropisms left and right...just the shits 

And yes, David Manning is an obnoxious jackass, getting involved in everything and even feuding with wrestlers ffs. I have a soft spot for Bronco though 

I love Armand Hussein. I love the layers to his character. The fact that he went to Oxford. I love his stupid dance before matches and the way he smirks at the fans while doing it. It's bullshit and he wants the fans to know it's bullshit but demands it be treated seriously. The subtitle touches to him are really great. 

Also Frank Dusek was surprisingly decent on color. 

To each his own, but I thought Hussein was terrible at everything, so I'm glad he's finally gone (we're in Aug 83 on World Cast)

Dusek in many ways was the opposite. He was good at everything including commentary and probably deserved a chance to be a bigger star than he ever became 

If Aja Kong works AEW TV in the fall, it will be 24 years since her last appearance on a U.S. promotions prime time TV. I don't think there is anyone else close to a stretch that long even if you include shows like the 6:05 show on TBS and Prime Time Wrestling.