Jump to content
Pro Wrestling Only
TravJ1979

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

Recommended Posts

Wrestling Mongolians are a fantastic mix of races. You’ve got Volkoff (Yugoslavian) and Newton Tattrie (French Canadian). Tattrie is later joined by Bill Eadie, from Pennsylvania. Killer Khan was Japanese, while El Mongol in Georgia was a Mexican. 

And yeah, it’s Genghis (and Kubla) Khan coupled with Mongolians not being prevalent enough that Americans know what they’re supposed to look like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The original Mongols in WWWF got over HUGE in 1970, so everyone copied the shit out of the gimmick for years 

Even earlier, El Mongol was a big star in the South 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can hear Kelly (Ricky Jackson), Pete (Shoe), and me talk about all this early World Class insanity on World Cast, one of many great podcasts on the PWO podcast network.  Even if you think I'm an asshole, check it out. We're fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Dave's Geeto obit, the Mongols idea came when he came across a book on Genghis Khan in a library. And as Ricky said, the success of the Mongols tag team led to legions of imitators the same way the success of the Road Warriors led to legions of juiced-up muscleheads in face paint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those wondering whatever happened to Chilly Willy. Here's a recent interview from the Philippines. Saw him in action the other night in his masked gimmick, Blackzilla. It was awesome, bumped and moved like a boss.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eric Bischoff was asked who he'd put in a modern nWo.

His response:

Quote

"If I had to pick three people today, I'd probably start off with Dolph Ziggler. I think he's one of the most underrated talents out there. He was an amateur wrestling champion and he's got great comedic skills. He can be a serious, threatening competitor or a comedic personality, and I think you need that.

"For a Kevin Nash-type character, I might go with Roman Reigns if he can brace that heel character. Then you need that third guy. Scott Hall, as amazingly gifted as he is, he played kind of a coward. He hid often times behind Kevin Nash. That role would be harder to fill and I'd have to think more about that one."

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2019/06/eric-bischoff-on-who-hed-put-in-a-modern-day-nwo-654734/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a 55 minutes match of 1968 André that just drops on Youtube

Edit : it's only 42 minutes and André Bollet is one of my new favorites guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's an interesting story about Lorne Michaels of SNL fame that reads awfully close to another 70 year old entertainment mogul we all know and love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I find incredibly striking when watching 2000s puro is how much of a non-factor Jun Akiyama is in most of the all-star dream match tags. I wouldn't go so far as to call him luggage, but he doesn't come across as a superstar at all. It's like his role in the matches is to eat up minutes and then fade into the background when the real stars go at it. There's a moment in the 4/24/05 Kobashi/Shiozaki vs. Tenryu/Akiyama tag that perfectly encapsulates what I'm talking about. Akiyama is working over Shiozaki in the ring when Shiozaki goes after Tenryu on the apron. Akiyama just stands there and watches while the two of them go at it. Akiyama was world-class both as a young up-and-comer and as a grumpy old veteran, but you would expect a true great to feel like more of a top guy in his prime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 2:56 PM, sek69 said:

Here's an interesting story about Lorne Michaels of SNL fame that reads awfully close to another 70 year old entertainment mogul we all know and love.

It’s very similar.  SNL has been almost completely unwatchable for several years, and especially in the past three.  Unless you’re a boomer making six figures and watch 8 hours of MSNBC a day, there’s not a lot there for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 4:10 PM, NintendoLogic said:

One thing I find incredibly striking when watching 2000s puro is how much of a non-factor Jun Akiyama is in most of the all-star dream match tags. I wouldn't go so far as to call him luggage, but he doesn't come across as a superstar at all. It's like his role in the matches is to eat up minutes and then fade into the background when the real stars go at it. There's a moment in the 4/24/05 Kobashi/Shiozaki vs. Tenryu/Akiyama tag that perfectly encapsulates what I'm talking about. Akiyama is working over Shiozaki in the ring when Shiozaki goes after Tenryu on the apron. Akiyama just stands there and watches while the two of them go at it. Akiyama was world-class both as a young up-and-comer and as a grumpy old veteran, but you would expect a true great to feel like more of a top guy in his prime.

I agree with you 100%.  I thought once he got to NOAH and was out from under the "Four Corners" it would really be finally be time for Jun Akiyama to come into his own and shine.  Hell, those first two NOAH debut shows were pretty much designed to put a spotlight on Akiyama and make him look the equal to Taue, Misawa and Kobashi...but most of his performances from the first few years of NOAH made it look like he was just kind of coasting along and not even trying.  I don't want to be like Meltzer here and hang the "lazy" tag on him, but he sure did seem unmotivated a lot of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Milwaukee had a festival this weekend to celebrate a bronze statue of DA CRUSHER being unveiled. 

It was kind of a sh!tshow. I believe they had no idea how many people would be coming and way under prepared merchandise and such as to not be left sitting on a pile of unsold stuff. The festival is supposed to be 2 days, but they sold out of Crusher shirts within 2 hours. So they probably lost hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in sales. 
They also had beer cups with Da Crusher on it. They too were sold out within hours. We grabbed some from the trash for our own collection.
The event was held on a parking lot, and there was absolutely no room to walk as it was pretty much a big L shape series of food carts, beer and other tents. A gazillion people blocked you everywhere. 
And as a topper, one of the featured guests, Jerry Lawler, did not arrive as he had travel issues. After the statue was unveiled, they announced Crusher's family would get the next 30 mins to pose for pictures before the general public. So since we wanted to go to stores yet, we left without taking selfies with Da Crusher. We will have to hit him up on another trip .


Pictures of the event: 
https://twitter.com/Brody1982/status/1137520931830665216

https://twitter.com/Brody1982/status/1137500831375396865

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2019 at 8:54 PM, BruiserBrody said:

 

Milwaukee had a festival this weekend to celebrate a bronze statue of DA CRUSHER being unveiled. 

It was kind of a sh!tshow. I believe they had no idea how many people would be coming and way under prepared merchandise and such as to not be left sitting on a pile of unsold stuff. The festival is supposed to be 2 days, but they sold out of Crusher shirts within 2 hours. So they probably lost hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in sales. 
They also had beer cups with Da Crusher on it. They too were sold out within hours. We grabbed some from the trash for our own collection.
The event was held on a parking lot, and there was absolutely no room to walk as it was pretty much a big L shape series of food carts, beer and other tents. A gazillion people blocked you everywhere. 
And as a topper, one of the featured guests, Jerry Lawler, did not arrive as he had travel issues. After the statue was unveiled, they announced Crusher's family would get the next 30 mins to pose for pictures before the general public. So since we wanted to go to stores yet, we left without taking selfies with Da Crusher. We will have to hit him up on another trip .


Pictures of the event: 
https://twitter.com/Brody1982/status/1137520931830665216

https://twitter.com/Brody1982/status/1137500831375396865

Wicked cool! Thanks for sharing! I plan on going to all 50 states in my life and definitely will make sure to take a selfie with Da Crusher in Milwaukee! Have a real soft spot for him after all the AWA I watched!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My buddy works with one of the indy geeks who worked the CrusherFest wrestling shows last weekend.  He told him the promoters were expecting 2000 people for the festival, but around 12,000 came by over the 2 days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×