Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eric Bischoff was asked who he'd put in a modern nWo.

His response:

"If I had to pick three people today, I'd probably start off with Dolph Ziggler. I think he's one of the most underrated talents out there. He was an amateur wrestling champion and he's got great comedic skills. He can be a serious, threatening competitor or a comedic personality, and I think you need that.

"For a Kevin Nash-type character, I might go with Roman Reigns if he can brace that heel character. Then you need that third guy. Scott Hall, as amazingly gifted as he is, he played kind of a coward. He hid often times behind Kevin Nash. That role would be harder to fill and I'd have to think more about that one."

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2019/06/eric-bischoff-on-who-hed-put-in-a-modern-day-nwo-654734/

One thing I find incredibly striking when watching 2000s puro is how much of a non-factor Jun Akiyama is in most of the all-star dream match tags. I wouldn't go so far as to call him luggage, but he doesn't come across as a superstar at all. It's like his role in the matches is to eat up minutes and then fade into the background when the real stars go at it. There's a moment in the 4/24/05 Kobashi/Shiozaki vs. Tenryu/Akiyama tag that perfectly encapsulates what I'm talking about. Akiyama is working over Shiozaki in the ring when Shiozaki goes after Tenryu on the apron. Akiyama just stands there and watches while the two of them go at it. Akiyama was world-class both as a young up-and-comer and as a grumpy old veteran, but you would expect a true great to feel like more of a top guy in his prime.

On 6/4/2019 at 2:56 PM, sek69 said:

Here's an interesting story about Lorne Michaels of SNL fame that reads awfully close to another 70 year old entertainment mogul we all know and love.

It’s very similar.  SNL has been almost completely unwatchable for several years, and especially in the past three.  Unless you’re a boomer making six figures and watch 8 hours of MSNBC a day, there’s not a lot there for you.

On 6/6/2019 at 4:10 PM, NintendoLogic said:

One thing I find incredibly striking when watching 2000s puro is how much of a non-factor Jun Akiyama is in most of the all-star dream match tags. I wouldn't go so far as to call him luggage, but he doesn't come across as a superstar at all. It's like his role in the matches is to eat up minutes and then fade into the background when the real stars go at it. There's a moment in the 4/24/05 Kobashi/Shiozaki vs. Tenryu/Akiyama tag that perfectly encapsulates what I'm talking about. Akiyama is working over Shiozaki in the ring when Shiozaki goes after Tenryu on the apron. Akiyama just stands there and watches while the two of them go at it. Akiyama was world-class both as a young up-and-comer and as a grumpy old veteran, but you would expect a true great to feel like more of a top guy in his prime.

I agree with you 100%.  I thought once he got to NOAH and was out from under the "Four Corners" it would really be finally be time for Jun Akiyama to come into his own and shine.  Hell, those first two NOAH debut shows were pretty much designed to put a spotlight on Akiyama and make him look the equal to Taue, Misawa and Kobashi...but most of his performances from the first few years of NOAH made it look like he was just kind of coasting along and not even trying.  I don't want to be like Meltzer here and hang the "lazy" tag on him, but he sure did seem unmotivated a lot of the time.

Milwaukee had a festival this weekend to celebrate a bronze statue of DA CRUSHER being unveiled. 

It was kind of a sh!tshow. I believe they had no idea how many people would be coming and way under prepared merchandise and such as to not be left sitting on a pile of unsold stuff. The festival is supposed to be 2 days, but they sold out of Crusher shirts within 2 hours. So they probably lost hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in sales. 
They also had beer cups with Da Crusher on it. They too were sold out within hours. We grabbed some from the trash for our own collection.
The event was held on a parking lot, and there was absolutely no room to walk as it was pretty much a big L shape series of food carts, beer and other tents. A gazillion people blocked you everywhere. 
And as a topper, one of the featured guests, Jerry Lawler, did not arrive as he had travel issues. After the statue was unveiled, they announced Crusher's family would get the next 30 mins to pose for pictures before the general public. So since we wanted to go to stores yet, we left without taking selfies with Da Crusher. We will have to hit him up on another trip .

Pictures of the event: 
https://twitter.com/Brody1982/status/1137520931830665216

https://twitter.com/Brody1982/status/1137500831375396865

On 6/8/2019 at 8:54 PM, BruiserBrody said:

Milwaukee had a festival this weekend to celebrate a bronze statue of DA CRUSHER being unveiled. 

It was kind of a sh!tshow. I believe they had no idea how many people would be coming and way under prepared merchandise and such as to not be left sitting on a pile of unsold stuff. The festival is supposed to be 2 days, but they sold out of Crusher shirts within 2 hours. So they probably lost hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in sales. 
They also had beer cups with Da Crusher on it. They too were sold out within hours. We grabbed some from the trash for our own collection.
The event was held on a parking lot, and there was absolutely no room to walk as it was pretty much a big L shape series of food carts, beer and other tents. A gazillion people blocked you everywhere. 
And as a topper, one of the featured guests, Jerry Lawler, did not arrive as he had travel issues. After the statue was unveiled, they announced Crusher's family would get the next 30 mins to pose for pictures before the general public. So since we wanted to go to stores yet, we left without taking selfies with Da Crusher. We will have to hit him up on another trip .

Pictures of the event: 
https://twitter.com/Brody1982/status/1137520931830665216

https://twitter.com/Brody1982/status/1137500831375396865

Wicked cool! Thanks for sharing! I plan on going to all 50 states in my life and definitely will make sure to take a selfie with Da Crusher in Milwaukee! Have a real soft spot for him after all the AWA I watched!

3 hours ago, BruiserBrody said:

My buddy works with one of the indy geeks who worked the CrusherFest wrestling shows last weekend.  He told him the promoters were expecting 2000 people for the festival, but around 12,000 came by over the 2 days. 

That is quite the underestimation.

I touched the doors of the Mid-South Coliseum last night! I haven't been to Memphis in over 20 years, though I did get to see USWA there in June 1994 (I was only 10). I knew it had been closed since 2006, but I had no idea it was still standing until I was ambling around town and drove by the fairgrounds to look at the Liberty Bowl (actually kinda neat at night). They keep some lights on inside and there's still some wayfinding, box office, and billboard signs up, and they keep doors open in the south entrance that allow for a slight glimpse at the seating bowl, which actually took my breath away. The grounds are clean, and the south entrance is actually quite pristine inside, but the box office/north entrance area has a fair amount of trash and equipment piled in it. I tried to picture a full parking lot on a Monday night until someone drove up who might have been unmarked security, but I didn't want to find out. They were probably very confused.  

On 6/11/2019 at 10:34 AM, Migs said:

That is quite the underestimation.

Yeah.... and Lawler never did make it.  He was supposed to give a speech before the statue was unveiled and may have worked a match, depending on who you asked.  

They are supposedly thinking of doing this annually.  I would guess a local indy promoter will take the mantle as the guy running CrusherFest was just a local fan, and was obviously not prepared and/or willing to deal with all this.  He would not even reply to our questions on FB the last few months asking about prices and who was appearing. etc. 

I am still flummoxed that the CrusherFest fund raiser a month or so before the event had so many more stars than the actual event.  Ken Patera, Greg Gagne, Jim Brunzell, the Baron, Kenny Jay, and Herman Schather (sp?) all appeared at that event, which I did not find out about until after it happened.