• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

So I just learned today that Jesse Ventura's last match was actually in 1990! It was a dark match at a Superstars taping where he teamed with Roddy Piper against The Orient Express, and the footage was used in the pilot for their failed TV show called "Tag Team"

Maybe everyone but me knew this, but I thought it was interesting and decided to share. Now to try and find the footage!

3 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

So I just learned today that Jesse Ventura's last match was actually in 1990! It was a dark match at a Superstars taping where he teamed with Roddy Piper against The Orient Express, and the footage was used in the pilot for their failed TV show called "Tag Team"

Maybe everyone but me knew this, but I thought it was interesting and decided to share. Now to try and find the footage!

The Tag Team pilot has definitely circulated. But it'd be fun to see the full match.

https://screen-queens.com/2019/08/22/fighting-with-my-family-finally-a-feminist-paean-to-pro-wrestling/?fbclid=IwAR1m0fAnCmPu1ThnKgL2PeYpapCGG0TUEE5pO8C8jmhxX3Rsd9908younlM

Wasn't sure where else to plug this, but my good friend Abbie Weil wrote an excellent review of Fighting with My Family that posits that the movie is the first ever feminist wrestling movie. I strongly recommend giving it a read. I read it before watching the movie, but have since seen the film since it was released on DVD, and it doesn't contain too, too many spoilers - plus, considering its about Paige, its not like anything in the film is going to be a huge shocker. (Plus, the film isn't 100% factual anyway, which shouldn't be surprising/bother anyone because what bio-film ever really is).

Anyway, just wanted to plug it for her.

Proof that the WWE name change has been a complete, utter, abject failure.

20 years on and people still can't "get the F out."

In July, CNN made the decision to treat the Democratic debates like entertainment. It was a sporting event, with an inane WWF style-introduction designed to play up “in-fighting” between the candidates. 

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/459053-the-key-to-beating-trump-elect-all-of-the-democratic-candidates

18 hours ago, C.S. said:

Proof that the WWE name change has been a complete, utter, abject failure.

20 years on and people still can't "get the F out."

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/459053-the-key-to-beating-trump-elect-all-of-the-democratic-candidates

LOL!  Sounds more like something for the Stupid Things Non-Fans Say thread!

But to be fair, its not like the rebranding was an intentional move to make sure everyone was aware its more of an entertainment company than a pro-wrestling company.  

Everything they’ve done since would have happened if McDevitt had won the lawsuit with the pandas or not!

Fun fact: the WWWF name lasted about 16 years, the WWF name 23 years and the WWE name is already up to more than 17 years. So in the not-so-distant future "WWE" will surpass "WWF".

And as it fits to the comment above: I was watching some 2002 WWE lately and it shocking how little has changed presentation wise and such in those 17 years. Now comparing 2002 with 1985...

45 minutes ago, Robert S said:

Fun fact: the WWWF name lasted about 16 years, the WWF name 23 years and the WWE name is already up to more than 17 years. So in the not-so-distant future "WWE" will surpass "WWF".

And as it fits to the comment above: I was watching some 2002 WWE lately and it shocking how little has changed presentation wise and such in those 17 years. Now comparing 2002 with 1985...

Its actually the same as slipping when it comes to stadium names, whether its a naming rights sale or not, and even sport team’s city names.  

So some slack can be given to calling WWE, WWF, especially if thats what they were when you were first exposed to the company.

If you’re into fun indie sprints, I recommend checking out this year’s AAW Jim Lynam Memorial Tournament.  Was there for both nights over All Out weekend and there were lots of fun 7-12 minute matches.  Spotfests, bombfests, and things of that nature.  Plus night two had a really fun Lucha Brothers/LAX match with a bunch of crowd brawling and plunder.  Mance Warner is doing a Midnight Rider gimmick, as well. My highlight of the weekend was getting to see Willie Mack wrestle live for the first time.

• 2 weeks later...

I see there's no hype for Bloodsport 2, and honestly I get it. As a novelty, it can work if you have some compelling matches, but this had pretty much none as far as I'm concerned. Barnett vs Dickinson was largely on the boring side of the fence to me, as an old shoot-style fan. Some cool flashes and the finish was really good, but really, this kind of post-MMA (with total pro-style spots worked in) shoot-style match really isn't that interesting to watch, it's not exactly Tamura vs Khousaka. The rest of the card was mostly meh stuff to me. As always Nick Gage was a complete and utter waste of time. Killer Kross challenged Batista, yeah, that's gonna happen... If I'm honest, the two most fun moments were two former WWE comedy guys doing shoot-style (for the sheer WTF aspect of it) and Sumie Sakai still kicking ass at 47. I would not mind more of that style instilled in regular cards in IMPACT or AEW, but for a complete show, you really need more compelling stuff than what was presented here.

I was more alluding to the lack of talk on this board, really. I like the concept a lot, but the execution isn't always the most exciting. I mean, why even book Nick Gage for instance ? I know he's the GCW champ (god, that tells me all I need to know), but in this setting he's just useless (well, he's been useless every damn time I ever saw him, but that's another matter). I dunno, maybe I was tired, as honestly I did enjoy watching Wentz do shoot-style as well as the Kratos match. Tom Lawlor vs DBS Jr. was quite ok not nearly as good as the Kross match from the Mania week-end though, so there you go, I just don't think Lawlor is that good overall (showed way more charisma here than on MLW though).

Come on. If you're following pro-wrestling even a little bit more than WWE, you know who Killer Kross (great name too) is. If anything, he's been a regular gringo in AAA lately and was part of the first match of Cain Velasquez (and should have been in NYC if IMPACT was not fucking with him, which is ridiculous). Kross is one guy I really hope gets grabbed by AEW when his contract runs up, alongside Scarlett Bordeaux (they are a couple). Two big loss for IMPACT.

I thought Gage was perfect in his role in that match. He is a Tank Abbott style streetfighter, an archetype which has a long storied history in MMA. He basically got squashed, but both of his hope spots were great, Kross working a traditional MMA striker only to get smashed with a barfight headbutt was awesome, and the outclassed tough guy refusing to tap and throwing up gang signs as he passed out ruled too. He didn't do anything to remove himself from narrative world of Bloodsport (it wasn't like Kross had to lay in the corner while he did his bootscrapes, or like he grabbed a light tube or anything) which is different then say Hammer and Kratos throwing in a terrible New Japan forearm exchange. 

I was at the Mania weekend Bloodsport and thought it was a slightly better card, but overall this was a heck of a show, and I thought Barnett vs. Dickinson was a top 10 MOTY, and the Makowski vs. Gulak match on the pre-show was also excellent

I think Lawlor has been his best in AIW, he had a great series with Dom Garrini and a couple of really cool matches with Eddie Kingston. 

Whatever you think of GCW, they tend to be pretty professional in delivering what they tease and have built that kind of reputation with their fans. It would be very out of character for them to tease something like Batista coming in with no plan to make it happen. Both Batista and Rocky worked wrestling matches while they were acting in movies, I don't see why a GCW match would be an insurance issue, but working a garbage brawl with Helmsley wouldn't be.

We reviewed the whole thing here

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2019/09/tuesday-shoot-indies-gcw-josh-barnetts.html