TravJ1979

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, JerryvonKramer said:

I also randomly watched Bischoff vs Flair from December 1998. Holy overbooking!

Crowds in 1998 and 2002 were HOT compared to the ones I saw in 2008. I forgot just how over Hogan was in the 2002 run.

Perhaps its simplistic but I wonder how much smartphones subdue crowds a bit in this era.  Not at all defending the product, but I don't think people's attention was as easily diverted during that period.  Its almost as though there's a hire threshold to reach that level of engagement.

i've argued this before, but i still think quite a bit of this comes down to much stricter policies toward drinking at sporting events.

Major League Baseball started taking this seriously in the 80s (training ballpark staff to recognize repeat orders, etc.), and it took quite a while for other sports to catch up.  My father would tell me stories about how night & day the Cleveland Browns stadium culture was with the original team (1995) vs. the expansion team we have now (1999).

And since wrestling is always years behind everything else when it comes to these things...you can see where i'm going here.  The difference in fan behavior during the Attitude Era vs. just a few years later is what got me thinking about this.

7 minutes ago, funkdoc said:

i've argued this before, but i still think quite a bit of this comes down to much stricter policies toward drinking at sporting events.

Major League Baseball started taking this seriously in the 80s (training ballpark staff to recognize repeat orders, etc.), and it took quite a while for other sports to catch up.  My father would tell me stories about how night & day the Cleveland Browns stadium culture was with the original team (1995) vs. the expansion team we have now (1999).

And since wrestling is always years behind everything else when it comes to these things...you can see where i'm going here.  The difference in fan behavior during the Attitude Era vs. just a few years later is what got me thinking about this.

There's probably something to this, but also a cultural thing about who the fans are for a given product. I noticed during the New Japan show at the Hammerstein that the line for the bar was non-existent - compared to an ROH show when they used to sell out, where the bar lines were pretty long. Different crowds treating a night at a wrestling show very differently.

In a week full of huge moments for wrestling, the biggest news to me came yesterday/today:

1) wXw booked Daisuke Ikeda vs Yuki Ishikawa for the 16 Carat Gold weekend.

2) WALTER is gonna work Big Japan's Sumo Hall show for Sekimoto's 20th anniversary match: WALTER & Sekimoto vs Okabayashi & Hino

:D

On 10/5/2019 at 5:32 PM, Migs said:

There's probably something to this, but also a cultural thing about who the fans are for a given product. I noticed during the New Japan show at the Hammerstein that the line for the bar was non-existent - compared to an ROH show when they used to sell out, where the bar lines were pretty long. Different crowds treating a night at a wrestling show very differently.

There is obviously something to this. In the other direction, you sometimes see old footage where the crowd is old guys into the idea of wrestling as a legit sport mostly sitting on their hands as if watching a chess match. There's also a difference between the rowdy Southern 80s crowds and the typical WWF crowd (i.e. not Philly or Baltimore) which was full of kids. 

I went to a local Indy show a few nights ago. No alcohol but the crowd was engaged the whole evening. I think ticket prices are a factor as well as arena design. Modern arenas and stadiums keep fans at a greater distance than in the past. If you sit front row second level at the Wells Fargo Center you’re further away than when you sat in the same seat at the Spectrum. 

On 10/4/2019 at 7:14 PM, JerryvonKramer said:

I also randomly watched Bischoff vs Flair from December 1998. Holy overbooking!

Bischoff going over Flair at Starrcade (so they could have a rematch the next night) has to rank up there for "what the fuck" "you're being too clever" booking.

As for people behaving better at sporting events.. how much did the cost of beer go up (and when did they switch to plastic cups instead of giving people bottles to throw)? also, wonder if slightly stricter post-9/11 security made it harder to bring things into an area that would motivate shithead behavior.

Pretty much the worst of the worst bad behavior has involved reactions to calls, like Bottlegate in Cleveland in 2001 or the reaction to the Infield Fly Rule call in 2012.

Probably reasonable to think that there has been an improvement in security now that people can text guest services if there's some drunk asshole in their area.

15 hours ago, Coffey said:

Jesus Christ, is that Maria Manic "Man Eater" tattoo real?

Maria is very well liked by her peers on a few hours every weekend show per show basis. But there are obvious red flags.

Has nothing to do with why ROH did run with her - they legit signed her with no plan seriously.

Maria harkens back to Chyna and Nicole Bass. Someone is struggling with her self identity and place in the World. Worthy of a documentary and luckily there is a short documentary. 

On 10/17/2019 at 4:00 PM, El-P said:

Ok, I am probably missing some cultural knowledge here, but what a "Man Eater" tattoo means (and why is it an issue, apparently) ?

You are opening up a can of worms. Put she went down an odd path for a while exploring her Deathmatch Wrestling persona which ended up with threatening someone in jest with cannablism which got her banned from Twitter for life.

On 10/17/2019 at 11:35 PM, sek69 said:

It really is adorable how Corey is trying to sell his officially WWE sanctioned podcast as him out there shootin'. Bruh, you got Uncle Paul as your first guest, quit acting like you're going to be out there calling out the company. 

He'll be shooting on all the dumb marks online who have the temerity to bury their terrible shows when they've never been in a ring before in their lives etc.

On 7/25/2019 at 10:08 AM, gordi said:

Does it make me a bad person that every time I see the first name of the Democratic junior Senator from California, Ms. Harris, in print or online, I cannot help but mentally add "The Ugandan Headhunter"?

Does that happen to anyone else?

Also, I was a bit disappointed to learn that her husband's name is not "Husky."

I just saw that #HappyBirthdayKamala was trending on Twitter and I thought it was for the wrestler.

The 350 Days wrestling documentary is on Amazon Prime Video. It's an entertaining watch. Some of the people in it have passed away since it was filmed, like the great Ox Baker & Superfly Jimmy Snuka. It's cool to see some of these guys talking about wrestling the way they do. Billy Graham talking about steroids & the repercussions he's faced is fascinating. 

HAHAHAHAHAHA when I saw the notification...I was like is this about JOHN CENA following me!?!? It’s pretty cool, but in reality he follows close to 52,000 people. So it’s not like he will see what I tweet. I have no idea why he chose me. I’m a huge Cena fan as a wrestler and even moreso as a human/modern day philosopher so I definitely MARKED OUT hard this morning. I have already been telling everyone at work, my friends & family about my close personal friend, John. :p I think it will definitely come up more than once at the club this weekend. ;);)