Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

I think we covered this before but the original Starrcade 93 card was:

Sid v Vader for WCW title

Sting v Rude for International title

Flair and Steamboat v Nasty Boys for tag titles

right? I assume the rest of the card stayed pretty much the same. They probably could have put Davey Boy (if he didn't leave) with Regal again as the Havoc match didn't have a clean finish. I guess they could have held off on Boss's debut or but him against a low midcard type to make him look good

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

right? I assume the rest of the card stayed pretty much the same. They probably could have put Davey Boy (if he didn't leave) with Regal again as the Havoc match didn't have a clean finish. I guess they could have held off on Boss's debut or but him against a low midcard type to make him look good

Arn vs Roma likely as well. There is an Arn TV interview post-Battlebowl (where he never ended up wrestling) that seems to allude to Roma having officially turned on him there. Roma turned on Erik Watts at the event, so he still went heel but ended up teaming with Orndorff vs Bagwell and Scorpio. I don't think Bossman would've wrestled at Starrcade if he wasn't a hot shot replacement for Davey, especially losing so soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night was at the Field Trip music festival and A Tribe Called Red was playing. An amazing native DJ group, anyways on the screen behind them they have various clips looped of natives in film and such.

At one point they looped the Ultimate Warrior running on the apron with a weasel suit for 30 seconds to a minute, then followed it up with Warrior dancing in the ring with the weasel suit. It was pretty surreal.

Arn vs Roma likely as well. There is an Arn TV interview post-Battlebowl (where he never ended up wrestling) that seems to allude to Roma having officially turned on him there. Roma turned on Erik Watts at the event, so he still went heel but ended up teaming with Orndorff vs Bagwell and Scorpio. I don't think Bossman would've wrestled at Starrcade if he wasn't a hot shot replacement for Davey, especially losing so soon.

WCW 1994 before Hogan has always been interesting. Ive heard that Flair once he got in as booker changed the outcome so he walked out with the title unless that was the Starrcade match.

Regarding NWA what was the first Flair/Piper televised match as I was interested in their WWE feud and I heard they feuded over the US title back in the early 80s and wondered what footage exists from that time. Ive seen the odd promo they did on youtube and there was a handful of house show matches captured via fancam but any TV stuff televised?

WCW 1994 before Hogan has always been interesting. Ive heard that Flair once he got in as booker changed the outcome so he walked out with the title unless that was the Starrcade match.

Regarding NWA what was the first Flair/Piper televised match as I was interested in their WWE feud and I heard they feuded over the US title back in the early 80s and wondered what footage exists from that time. Ive seen the odd promo they did on youtube and there was a handful of house show matches captured via fancam but any TV stuff televised?

I have a match that's joined in progress that I have labelled as 06/28/1981. It has commentary so I think it's pro.

I'm sure there's more out there but that's the only one I have I think.

Was there any likelyhood of Flair coming into WWE back in 1988 as it seems so odd when Flair was still on top at this time doing so well for himself. The only info I could find was a article that said it came from Flair's book.

Wasn't there some hype around that summer of someone coming to SummerSlam who hadn't been in MSG? Wade Keller had a question about it from a subscriber on one of his audio shows a year or two ago and said it was intended to be Flair. I don't remember what happened or what Wade said made him stay with the NWA.

How many good matches does a person have to have before they can be considered good. I've said it numerous times. Watch any house show from 1984 into 1986 with a Hogan match on it and 9 times out of 10 it will be the best match or the second best match on the show. My opinion on Hogan changed around 2003 or 2004. I found a 4 hour VHS tape that was just loaded with Hogan matches from this era and I was blown away by the quality of the bouts he had in that era.

Hulk hogan shouldn't be praised as much as he is. Yes he had a great theme song and sold merch. And I appreciate that but as an in ring competitor and human being he's shown to severely lacking in both.

Who is praising Hogan so much for his in ring prowess?

How many good matches does a person have to have before they can be considered good. I've said it numerous times. Watch any house show from 1984 into 1986 with a Hogan match on it and 9 times out of 10 it will be the best match or the second best match on the show. My opinion on Hogan changed around 2003 or 2004. I found a 4 hour VHS tape that was just loaded with Hogan matches from this era and I was blown away by the quality of the bouts he had in that era.

I had the same experience watching old WWF house shows on the YT channels that popped up. He wasn't going to give you a 25 minute classic but the guy could work a really fun, fast-paced, stiff, heated, 12 minute match, nothing wrong with that. Oftentimes he saved what were really weak shows.

Hulk hogan shouldn't be praised as much as he is. Yes he had a great theme song and sold merch. And I appreciate that but as an in ring competitor and human being he's shown to severely lacking in both.

I have to disagree being a huge Hogan mark and im happy to accept he made a mistake for saying those things. Everyone deserves a second chance even though it was a private conversation. I enjoyed Hogan's wrestling shows particulary his house show matches and stuff in Japan. Hulk is the only guy who had a sucessful Face & Heel run, other wrestlers has been one or the other, kinda like Flair who was great as a heel but not as good as a Face.

Hulk Hogan made people care. People bought into the storylines, let themselves get emotionally involved in his matches & angles & actually care about the outcome. It didn't matter if it was André the Giant, "Macho Man" Randy Savage, The Ultimate Warrior, Sgt. Slaughter, Kamala, Earthquake or anyone else... if The Hulkster was involved, people cared & paid attention. It didn't matter if the end of the match was always the same. Look at Wrestlemania X-8... that crowd went nuts for Hogan when he "Hulked Up" against The Rock. It was nostalgia for sure, but it was nostalgia from when wrestling was still fun... when it still felt like magic. When you could let yourself get immersed in the show. People remembered what it was like to be a kid & just have fun again. I did. Fuck, I cried. I literally cried when Hogan "Hulked Up." Manly tears of nostalgic joy.

I remember how big a deal it was when Sgt. Slaughter, Col. Mustafa & Gen. Adnan hit Hogan in the fact with a fireball. Or when Zeus blocked the cage door on Saturday Night's Main Event. Or when The Mega Powers were going to collide. Or when Earthquake squashed Hogan on the Brother Love Show. Everything that fucker did was a big deal. It was memorable. Nowadays, maybe just because I'm older, because of overexposure, I don't know, but the shit all just blends together.

The nWo stuff doesn't work without Hogan. WWF, eating up territories & the cable TV & PPV jump doesn't work without Hogan. Wrestling isn't what it is without Hogan. Hulk Hogan is professional wrestling. That's what comes to mind.

It's not even like his matches were bad... and he had so many memorable moments, it's insane. No one has ever made me, personally, care about wrestling more than that man. He's the reason I became a fan. He's a reason I'm still a fan thirty years later. The people my age, we grew up with Hulk Hogan. He was in cereal commercials. He was on Sports Illustrated. He was on Johnny Carson. He was a hero when we were kids and a villain when we were rebellious teenagers.

After spending way too much time watching TNA from mid 00's, I'll say this : I like the Canadian Destroyer. Yes, the physics are all fucked up (but way less stupid than people just standing outside the ring to catch people during jump sequences, for instance), but it looks cool as shit most of the time and is sold like a death spot. So there.