Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

I have absolutely no first-hand knowledge but I think he sort of moved past wrestling for awhile. On the last Wrestling WarZone podcast a couple of weeks ago, Chad mentioned that he was watching AEW and chatting with him on Facebook messenger about it, but hadn't been watching much wrestling before then.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Will said in another thread that he had been chatting with Charles about the AEW Pay Per View.  I guess he is just taking a break from PWO, presumably because of something one of you guys did.  I know it couldn't have been me...I'm a delight. 

But in all seriousness, I agree with the sentiment that his presence is missed here.

Combate Americas just signed with AXS to begin airing their shows next year. Indy star Thunder Rosa just made her MMA debut for them this past weekend.

10 hours ago, Dale Wolfe said:

Realistically this is a rubber fight for Tito given how long its been since Del Río fought (and he was never good in the first place), but hard to see where they go from there. Does Ortiz have a one fight contract or is it more than that? 

It was said to be a "multi-fight contract" when he signed in April.

Not sure if there is a "what are you watching" thread but I started Georgia championship wrestling from mid 1980 recently and my god what a show this is. Theres a lot to be said for old ramshackle wrestling, the lack of production leads to a much more freewheeling approach from the roster and to be honest I watch modern day stuff--even AEW, shocker--and they just don't have the charisma or charm.

Maybe wrestlers were just better when they looked like rough drunks 

Great show. Probably the best one there is. Piper in a sports jacket 

https://youtu.be/GPNgk4dEAxQ

7 hours ago, Dale Wolfe said:

Not sure if there is a "what are you watching" thread but I started Georgia championship wrestling from mid 1980 recently and my god what a show this is. Theres a lot to be said for old ramshackle wrestling, the lack of production leads to a much more freewheeling approach from the roster and to be honest I watch modern day stuff--even AEW, shocker--and they just don't have the charisma or charm.

Maybe wrestlers were just better when they looked like rough drunks 

Great show. Probably the best one there is. Piper in a sports jacket 

https://youtu.be/GPNgk4dEAxQ

Wrestling just seems better when it's unpolished, low budget, rough looking dudes who've possibly been partaking in any and all manner of illicit substances. 

I don't care what anyone thinks, stuff like Joey Ryan vs Addy Starr "barefoot LEGO match" from Bar Wrestling's Halloween show is just brillant. Funny how most of Joey Ryan's critics don't pay one bit of actual attention to his work, because the guy is just a classic pro-wrestler at heart. He's all about building to the big spots, using teases, showing ass (sometimes, literally) when it's time to, getting the most out of every spots in his matches. And technically he's solid as hell, his stuff looks good, he's an excellent bumper. Anyway, this match was just terrific, and it worked not only on the meta level, but also absolutely on the literal level (even when it goes into the realm of absurdity, like when Addy puts bricks into her crotch to give herself superpowers). The bumps on LEGO, as parodic as they are, still look like it hurts like a mofo, so it actually works as a deathmatch too. Anyway, loved that stuff. Bar Wrestling shows are usually very fun anyways. Melissa doing the ring announcing is a plus. No idea why IMPACT doesn't have her do that, she's simply the best out there.

I was reading an old Observer, and Meltzer mentioned this in passing - 

A prime Andre got sucker punched by 310 pound Blackjack Mulligan at a beach front hotel, shook it off like it was nothing, and grabbed both Mulligan and Murdoch, himself about 280 and a legendary tough guy, dragged them to the ocean and dunked them.

Anyone know what the story behind this is? This feels like it would have been an amazing visual. 

13 hours ago, C.S. said:

Is this on YouTube? I couldn't find anything. I'd love to watch it.

If it's Bar Wrestling then it should be on apparently every Pivotshare channel in the goddamn universe, including their own. There's a couple of LEGO Deathmatches on Youtube though, including the Starr-Tremont-Cannonball-Gage four-way that happened at WM Weekend this year

On 11/27/2019 at 5:42 PM, Mrzfn said:

Putting together a Steve Austin playlist for my casual fan brother. Any under the radar must see stuff I might not know? Not an expert on the Attitude Era in particular but obviously want to grab some of the top stuff.

People always go on about the Submission Match between Steve Austin and Bret Hart at Wrestlemania 13 - and rightly so.  Jim Cornette has called that the greatest WWF match of all time, and he might be right. However, some people tend to forget about the Austin/Hart match at Survivor Series 1996.  In my opinion, that match is almost as good, but people tend to sleep on it for some reason, probably because it wasn't quite as dramatic as the WM13 match.  I know some people claim the WM13 match gave birth to the Attitude Era, and I don't know about that, but the entire Bret Hart/Steve Austin feud is classic.

It is a multi-man match, but no Stone Cold collection would be complete without the Main Event from In Your House: Canadian Stampede.  Similarly, In Your House: Final Four is a Fatal Four Way, but it is another must see Austin match. Also, Austin's match with Shawn Michaels at King of the Ring 97 is excellent, and is everything their WM14 match should have been. You'll notice most of these matches are before Austin had his neck broken in the match with Owen Hart at Summerslam 97.  That match seemed to severely limit what he could do, after he recovered.  After he came back he had that excellent match at Over The Edge 98 with Mick Foley, and that brawling style pretty much became the in ring style he used from that point onward.

If you want to talk really under the radar stuff, I have a couple of suggestions for you.  You remember that Austin came into the WWF as "The Ringmaster" and he was managed by Ted DiBiase.  Eventually, he transformed into Stone Cold, but there was a brief period there while he was Stone Cold but he was still managed by Ted DiBiase.  During that brief period, he had a feud with Savio Vega which I thought produced some really solid matches.  Austin himself has said that his feud with Vega was what he felt finally kickstarted his WWF career after he had been floundering.  The feud started on WWF Superstars in March 96, when Austin teamed up with Vega against the Bodydonnas for the Tag Titles, and the pairing did not go well for Vega.  That led to a match between Austin and Vega on the 03/11/96 episode of Raw, then they fought again at Wrestlemania 12.  In April 1996 on Raw, Austin cost Vega the Intercontinental Title by bashing him in the head with the Million Dollar Belt. They fought again on the 04/02/96 episode of Superstars, when Vega donned a mask as "The Caribbean Kid" to screw with Austin.  The feud culminated in a Strap Match at In Your House: Beware of Dog.  There was some kind of stipulation where the loser had to be the other guy's chauffeur or something.  All I remember is that after the feud DiBiase left the WWF and went to WCW, Stone Cold went on by himself, went on to win King of the Ring 1996, and the rest as they say is history.