Pro Wrestling Only
TravJ1979

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

On 11/27/2019 at 10:42 PM, Mrzfn said:

Putting together a Steve Austin playlist for my casual fan brother. Any under the radar must see stuff I might not know? Not an expert on the Attitude Era in particular but obviously want to grab some of the top stuff.

The Kurt Anlge match from Summerslam '01, this doesn't really count as under the radar but please god include it

I don't have a date, but I seem to remember a pretty cool match with Terry Funk from Shotgun Saturday Night.

I looked into it, and the dates on the Stone Cold/Savio Vega feud are:

The Bodydonnas vs. Steve Austin & Savio Vega (Superstars) 03/10/96

Steve Austin vs. Savio Vega (Raw) 03/11/96

Steve Austin vs. Savio Vega (Wrestlemania 12) 03/31/96

Steve Austin vs. The Caribbean Kid (Superstars) 04/02/96

Steve Austin vs. Savio Vega (Raw) 05/27/96

Steve Austin vs. Savio Vega (Beware of Dog) 05/28/96

If you are putting together a "Best of Stone Cold" compilation, I would imagine you'd have to include one of his matches with The Undertaker, considering they fought approximately 957,000 times during The Attitude Era.  Problem is, most of the matches are underwhelming.  For whatever reason, those two guys never seemed to click and Lord knows it wasn't due to unfamiliarity or lack of practice.  If I had to pick one Austin/Undertaker match, I'd probably pick the Main Event of SummerSlam 98.  I know both Austin and The Undertaker weren't happy with that match, but to my mind it was the best pick of a bad lot.  A lot of people prefer their match in 1997 at "A Cold Day In Hell" because it was before Austin's injury and they actually wrestled during the match.  I remember the finishing stretch of that match being really good, but there was a ridiculous amount of outside interference and shenanigans.

EDIT:  Also, people tend to disagree with me about this one, but don't forget the infamous "Three Stages of Hell" match between Austin and Triple H at No Way Out 2001.  I really liked that match, although I admit I seem to enjoy Triple H's ring work a hell of a lot more than most people around here.  But if you're going to include an Austin/Triple H match, I would definitely pick this one.

It's not a match but just for the comedic aspect, I would put his segment with William Regal reading Hamlet

I recall really liking Austin's matches with Benoit and Jericho in 2001 as fantastic later career Austin matches and the best of that heel run. 2 matches vs Benoit in Canada on RAW 5/28/01 and SD that week, then against Jericho on the following week's Raw.

Austin & Zbyszko vs Windham & Rhodes 2/29/92 is a very good southern-style tag that maybe deserves more love, if you'd like to put some WCW stuff on there.