Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

On 11/27/2019 at 10:42 PM, Mrzfn said:

Putting together a Steve Austin playlist for my casual fan brother. Any under the radar must see stuff I might not know? Not an expert on the Attitude Era in particular but obviously want to grab some of the top stuff.

The Kurt Anlge match from Summerslam '01, this doesn't really count as under the radar but please god include it

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I looked into it, and the dates on the Stone Cold/Savio Vega feud are:

The Bodydonnas vs. Steve Austin & Savio Vega (Superstars) 03/10/96

Steve Austin vs. Savio Vega (Raw) 03/11/96

Steve Austin vs. Savio Vega (Wrestlemania 12) 03/31/96

Steve Austin vs. The Caribbean Kid (Superstars) 04/02/96

Steve Austin vs. Savio Vega (Raw) 05/27/96

Steve Austin vs. Savio Vega (Beware of Dog) 05/28/96

If you are putting together a "Best of Stone Cold" compilation, I would imagine you'd have to include one of his matches with The Undertaker, considering they fought approximately 957,000 times during The Attitude Era.  Problem is, most of the matches are underwhelming.  For whatever reason, those two guys never seemed to click and Lord knows it wasn't due to unfamiliarity or lack of practice.  If I had to pick one Austin/Undertaker match, I'd probably pick the Main Event of SummerSlam 98.  I know both Austin and The Undertaker weren't happy with that match, but to my mind it was the best pick of a bad lot.  A lot of people prefer their match in 1997 at "A Cold Day In Hell" because it was before Austin's injury and they actually wrestled during the match.  I remember the finishing stretch of that match being really good, but there was a ridiculous amount of outside interference and shenanigans.

EDIT:  Also, people tend to disagree with me about this one, but don't forget the infamous "Three Stages of Hell" match between Austin and Triple H at No Way Out 2001.  I really liked that match, although I admit I seem to enjoy Triple H's ring work a hell of a lot more than most people around here.  But if you're going to include an Austin/Triple H match, I would definitely pick this one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 3:23 PM, Coffey said:

It's not a match but just for the comedic aspect, I would put his segment with William Regal reading Hamlet

Austin and Regal actually had a really dope strap match on Smackdown in 2001.

For @Mrzfn, Austin vs. Marc Mero at KOTR 1996 and Austin vs. Helmsley at IYH: Buried Alive are a couple of other under-the-radar selections worth checking out.

• 2 weeks later...

So I found the very first episodes of pro-wrestling TV I ever watched, which is WWF TV from June of 1990. This stuff is so bad. Yeah, it was cool when I was 14 and did not know any better. But really, Brutus Beefcake and Bushwhackers squashes, get-well-Hogan campaign, Warlord squash... Good old days my ass... Yeah, in 6 months I'll reach 30 years of fandom. I'll glady take whatever is on now rather than any of this stuff.

11 hours ago, El-P said:

So I found the very first episodes of pro-wrestling TV I ever watched, which is WWF TV from June of 1990. This stuff is so bad. Yeah, it was cool when I was 14 and did not know any better.

I remember when I was 15 years old, I went to a WWF show at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto.  It was in late 1985, as I recall.  Bret Hart and Jim Neidhart had just started teaming together, and this was very early in their partnership. Bret Hart was still billed as "Brett Hart" and had really short hair, they weren't even introduced at The Hart Foundation, and they hadn't adopted the Pink & Black look yet.  I'm not even sure that Jimmy Hart was managing them yet.  Anyhow, they fought Tony Atlas and Ivan Putski.  I didn't really know who Hart & Neidhart were, but I was familiar with Atlas and Putski.  I really enjoyed the match a bunch and went around telling my friends how great it had been.  After all, Ivan Puski and Tony Atlas were both huge, right?  I assume that is what impressed me back then.

A few years ago, I stumbled across the match on YouTube, so I watched it again.  I got about five minutes in before I was like: "What the fuck...this match sucks!" But if you'd have asked me before I saw it again, I'd have sworn based on memory that it was a really good Tag Team match. It's amazing how stuff that might have hooked us as fans or seemed good to us at the time, just doesn't stand up anymore.

9 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

A few years ago, I stumbled across the match on YouTube, so I watched it again.  I got about five minutes in before I was like: "What the fuck...this match sucks!" But if you'd have asked me before I saw it again, I'd have sworn based on memory that it was a really good Tag Team match. It's amazing how stuff that might have hooked us as fans or seemed good to us at the time, just doesn't stand up anymore.

The very first angle I saw was Boris Zhukov beating up Nikolai with his boot. And wow, that was great ! Well, no. 

I must say, at least half the credit for hooking me goes to the announcing team of Carpentier & Hauray. They made anything sound exciting, fun and important, even the worst shit ever. So yeah, announcing goes a long way (which I guess is why IMPACT remains my favourite show and why I can't watch NXT despite all the great talent). You could watch the worst Brutus Beefcake squash, if Bobby Heenan was great at announcing it, it did not matter that much how bad it was.

And that is why to me Gorilla and Jesse on the big PPV shows together and on the pre-86 Superstars/Challenge All-Star Wrestling and Prime Time Wrestling will remain my sentimental favorite team. To a child that was seven years old at the time he became a fan, they just had a likeable aura that said "hey kid, come watch some wrestling with us". 

And of course a close second, Gorilla and Bobby were like my drunk uncles jawing away at each other over a poker game. Even as a kid I could tell that underneath all the bickering and jabs, they werent as happy working with anyone else as they were with each other.