TravJ1979

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Superstar Sleeze said:

Wow this is kinda sad. I have been going to this site since I was 8 years old in 1997. What I love about it is that it still looks exactly the same. It is such a warm, nostalgic feeling to see a website that looks the same since the late 90s and not only that it is so informative. He really has done a great job on such a wide variety of pro wrestling. Great website.

Another favorite website I found as a kid was Hisa's Wrestling-titles.com. I love how that has the same format and layout too. Just for nostalgia went back on both sites. Two of the greatest websites of all time. We are so lucky that pro wrestling adapted to the internet so quickly and really did a great job archiving information.

What are some of the other great websites from the 90s that are still around?  

I think the format and layout stuff is just because that is what you got when creating your homepage with FrontPage or whatever, i.e. html-only etc. (in those days you were lucky when people were not experimenting with Flash or whatever because that made the sites almost unusable performance-wise). From the classic sites I just checked and solie.org is still up. Other early favorites of mine include Kayfabe Memories (which still is up) and Narbosa (which is long dead; a site I think hosted on AOL that had some Japanese matches in realmedia format downloadable).

On 2/19/2020 at 1:15 PM, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

I've put together a 2048-person wrestling tournament on facebook, and am looking for people to participate. I've included wrestlers from all eras (as long as at least some footage exists), all promotions and all styles, to be judged mainly on in-ring work. If anyone here is interested in taking part, here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/135912000964202/?hc_ref=ARS3Os26pSnQlDmkNeuMwE74S5253hPdwhHQ1JSI76ozC4eLnZW5okazHvr4I8JfDpE&fref=gs&dti=135912000964202&hc_location=group

Fun project so far. I'm abstaining a fair bit, which I hope is OK, either because I don't like a wrestler enough to give them a vote or because I don't feel like I have seen enough to judge. With 2048 wrestlers, some are going to fall into one or the other of those categories in the first couple of rounds. On the other hand, there have already been a couple of tough calls. It's going to be insane once we get into the later rounds.

8 hours ago, gordi said:

Fun project so far. I'm abstaining a fair bit, which I hope is OK, either because I don't like a wrestler enough to give them a vote or because I don't feel like I have seen enough to judge. With 2048 wrestlers, some are going to fall into one or the other of those categories in the first couple of rounds. On the other hand, there have already been a couple of tough calls. It's going to be insane once we get into the later rounds.

Thanks. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

On 2/21/2020 at 3:24 AM, MoS said:

Also, I know it was a different time and Flair was a GOAT-level heel, but with the benefit of hindsight, how anyone could cheer for Surfer Sting over Ric Flair is beyond me. He looks and feels like a complete goof next to Flair. 

Surfer Sting was a complete 1980s babyface that looks goofy as hell now but was perfect for the time. Heel Ric Flair is more or less timeless, so it doesn't look dated. Surfer Sting is essentially the wrestling version of those 70s fashion catalogs that look completely ridiculous now but probably got people laid back in the day.

On 2/23/2020 at 8:52 AM, JRH said:

Heck, I'm surprised that the Rock and Roll Express were able to get over in SMW, still essentially having the same look, in the mid-90s, the era of grunge.

The parts of the US that SMW was running were at least 5 years behind the times. Like where I live currently. They still think it is 1988.

38 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Jun Akiyama will be a guest coach at the Performance Center in May.

If this is a precursor to AJPW becoming NXT Japan, this truly is the worst of all possible worlds.

It would be a awful development. If that did happen it would bring down the amount of modern wrestling companies down to 1, NOAH.

1 hour ago, khawk20 said:

I dunno about that...depends on his plan for the network moving forward. If it's not a thing for him anymore then purchasing the footage would have no use for him. Although owning everything he can is probably still a thing...so who knows?

It's all a price question, I think - he's been hoarding footage for a long time. Do the TV stations see a huge value in it? If not, there's at least a chance Vince makes a deal on it.

Considering the way Japanese business operates, there's zero chance NTV would sell the archive to an American company.  They might lease some footage for WWE to use in a documentary or something, but they would never sell something that significant to a non-Japanese company unless they were having major cash flow issues and/or were going out of business. 

Im MDK All Fuckin' Day!

Realest muthafucka in pro wrestling! Honestly I think its his authenticity. I went to a ton of Beyond's Unchartered Territory. You can see the love and admiration he has for the fans in his eyes. It really means something to him that we turn out and chant "Nick Fuckin Gage". It comes across in his wrestling. He is a gritty, rough n tumble pro wrestler. He is just a really genuine dude and really likeable. I have no idea if it translates across on the videoscope because all the Nick Gage matches I have watched are live, but he is most of the best live wrestlers I have ever seen. 

On 3/3/2020 at 10:02 PM, Superstar Sleeze said:

Im MDK All Fuckin' Day!

Realest muthafucka in pro wrestling! Honestly I think its his authenticity. I went to a ton of Beyond's Unchartered Territory. You can see the love and admiration he has for the fans in his eyes. It really means something to him that we turn out and chant "Nick Fuckin Gage". It comes across in his wrestling. He is a gritty, rough n tumble pro wrestler. He is just a really genuine dude and really likeable. I have no idea if it translates across on the videoscope because all the Nick Gage matches I have watched are live, but he is most of the best live wrestlers I have ever seen. 

I'll say this: Nick Gage after working for Beyond is lightyears better than Nick Gage as a CZW exclusive, and he's a guy that grows on you for the reasons Sleaze stated. He's authentic in an era where most wrestlers are trying to be outlandish and colorful. 

Don't just watch one match, watch a few over the last couple of years. Stick to his non-deathmatch stuff, too.