TravJ1979

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/9/2020 at 6:14 PM, kas said:

Just gonna chime in on this Nick Gage love and say that his match with David Arquette was the most surreal wrestling match I've ever watched

It's also a legitimately great veteran performance on Gage's part.

6 hours ago, Bix said:

It's also a legitimately great veteran performance on Gage's part.

I agree with the overall work he did in making David look great and getting the spectacle over to the crowd but as a veteran the whole busted light tube accidentally almost cutting Arquette's throat was a pretty big blunder by Gage.

Nick should've known better as a vet than to do that with someone as green as Arquette, especially after Gage almost bled to death at TOD that time hitting those tubes despite having worked spots with light tubes probably a hundred times by that point. Could've done something much safer and gotten as good or greater a response with the crowd heat Gage gets from those fans.

Many of us are unhappy with how the Japanese government has handled things. The government made a decision to limit testing and focus on clusters. We've basically been living in a holding pattern, unsure of how bad the situation is and hoping that there isn't a sudden explosion in infections. A lot of people have been questioning the government's motivations since they're desperate to hold the Olympics. 

1 hour ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Many of us are unhappy with how the Japanese government has handled things. The government made a decision to limit testing and focus on clusters. We've basically been living in a holding pattern, unsure of how bad the situation is, hoping that there isn't a sudden explosion in infections. A lot of people have been questioning the government's motivations since they're desperate to hold the Olympics. 

Yep.

"Better than the US gov't has handled it so far" is a very low bar, though.

By the way, Happy Birthday oj!!

How many luchadores of note have lost their masks to non-masked wrestlers? The only ones I can think of are Konnan and Máscara Año 2000 (who both lost to Perro Aguayo, interestingly enough). Other than that, just about every high-profile mask vs. hair match has resulted in the masked wrestler coming out on top. Well, other than Rey Mysterio. But that happened in WCW has been more or less retconned away.

Mascara Magica was pushed for a minute in the late '90s, lost his mask to Satanico in some cluster cage match in the early '00s.
Perro took someone else's mask in Monterrey around the time he got Konnan's. I don't remember whose, might have been a Huracan Ramirez. (Actually it was Stuka, bigger name than any of the unoriginal Huracanes)
Psicosis suffered the ignominy of losing his mask twice to unmasked wrestlers, Rey Misterio Sr. in Mexico and Kidman in the USA.
Juventud lost his to Chris Jericho in America, don't know who got him in Mexico (no one, it turns out, he just stopped wearing it there after he lost it in the states).

On 3/22/2020 at 9:43 PM, cad said:

Juventud lost his to Chris Jericho in America, don't know who got him in Mexico (no one, it turns out, he just stopped wearing it there after he lost it in the states).

IIRC the fans/magazines/etc got smart to the trend of lucha guys trying to get a double payday losing a mask in the US and Mexico, so Juvy just decided to go maskless.

Something i've been thinking about lately: even in actual sports nobody seems to talk about how much better the sports medicine field has gotten at dealing with knee injuries.  The worst ones used to be a death sentence for your career, no matter how young you were (look up Robert Edwards sometime), but now we have Teddy Bridgewater landing a $20+ million/year contract after coming back from an injury so gruesome it made people vomit when they saw it.

This makes me think Magnum TA may be the most underrated "what if he came along now?" case in wrestling, given he was likely on track to become NWA champion.  i'll also notice Between the Sheets bring up other guys who tore up their knee and were never the same afterward (e.g. John Nord) and go "what if" as well.

38 minutes ago, funkdoc said:

Something i've been thinking about lately: even in actual sports nobody seems to talk about how much better the sports medicine field has gotten at dealing with knee injuries.  The worst ones used to be a death sentence for your career, no matter how young you were (look up Robert Edwards sometime), but now we have Teddy Bridgewater landing a $20+ million/year contract after coming back from an injury so gruesome it made people vomit when they saw it.

This makes me think Magnum TA may be the most underrated "what if he came along now?" case in wrestling, given he was likely on track to become NWA champion.  i'll also notice Between the Sheets bring up other guys who tore up their knee and were never the same afterward (e.g. John Nord) and go "what if" as well.

There are probably a lot of old-timers that would've stuck with football if that'd been the case back then.

On 3/25/2020 at 3:14 PM, funkdoc said:

Barry Windham went from one of the best in the world to basically done for after his knee injury. He had other things going on (his family going to jail namely), but he always struck me as a what could have been with modern medicine. 

On 3/27/2020 at 4:17 AM, sek69 said:

Barry Windham went from one of the best in the world to basically done for after his knee injury. He had other things going on (his family going to jail namely), but he always struck me as a what could have been with modern medicine. 

Didn't BW try a surgery involving cadaver parts? Pretty sure he talked about it in his original RF Video shoot interview, he was off for a year between losing the belt to Flair and then coming back and everything turning to mulch in his comeback as the 6'7", blonde, 300 lb former world champion for Colonel Parker.

On 3/29/2020 at 8:22 PM, NintendoLogic said:

The Go Shiozaki/Kazuyuki Fujita GHC title match is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. It's like the Finnegans Wake or Trout Mask Replica of wrestling matches.

It's a fantastic example of taking advantage of the setting. I doubt that opening 30 would have been enjoyed by a crowd but in an empty arena setting, it's perfect.