Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

I did a thread comparing 90s AJPW to modern NJPW and I said there that despite Baba being the promoter of a bigger, far more money-drawing promotion, I think Gedo is a better booker for his ability to make new stars and find quality headliners. But hey, they sold out 200 consecutive shows at Budokan, so Baba clearly did fine. 

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First time I've watched this match in maybe 10 years. Amazing how much it stands up. I had forgotten how ruthless Jumbo's style seems at times- though he isn't, of course, his mannerisms give light to a bit of recklessness almost. I think my favourite spell is Jumbo's dominance early on, then the couple of mistakes that give Misawa the one up. 

Modern wrestling really is the shits when you look at it against this gear. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've now heard rumors about potential 30+ Lucha stars that have died from CoVid-19 complications hinted at but I can't find any tangible information or articles or anything. Where is this rumor coming from? Does anyone have any information regarding this? 

8 minutes ago, BruiserBrody said:

https://obvious-plant.myshopify.com/products/mr-nipples

Ummmmm....I have questions.....  

That is one heck of an afterlife for the Larry Z. AWA Remco mold.

s-l400.jpg

Obvious Plant is a company that specializes in spoofs of real-life action figures, I believe this is their first foray into using something wrestling-related as a launch point.

5 minutes ago, C.S. said:

This tweet called Low Ki a "Corona Karen" - a perfect description if I've ever heard one.

Ok, you'll have to enlighten my French ass here as it's twice today I stumble onto the "Karen" thingy and I have no idea what that means. The first time I thought it was refering to Karen Jarrett (as she would be some sort of a bitch or something), but I guess that would be me stuck in the wrestling bubble. So. I know what a Chad is (yes I do), but I have no idea what a Karen is.

1 minute ago, El-P said:

Ok, you'll have to enlighten my French ass here as it's twice today I stumble onto the "Karen" thingy and I have no idea what that means. The first time I thought it was refering to Karen Jarrett (as she would be some sort of a bitch or something), but I guess that would be me stuck in the wrestling bubble. So. I know what a Chad is (yes I do), but I have no idea what a Karen is.

I don't know what a "Chad" is, so you'll have to teach me that one.

A Karen is basically a super-entitled white woman with a Kate Goesslin haircut (or Bayley, for those in the bubble) - the "I want to speak to the manager" types.

The definition has been expanded to include exceptionally selfish people and racists who call the cops on black people for committing such "heinous criminal offenses" as walking on the sidewalk or in the park.

34 minutes ago, C.S. said:

A Karen is basically a super-entitled white woman with a Kate Goesslin haircut (or Bayley, for those in the bubble) - the "I want to speak to the manager" types.

The definition has been expanded to include exceptionally selfish people and racists who call the cops on black people for committing such "heinous criminal offenses" as walking on the sidewalk or in the park.

Ok then. I get it. Thanks. Had to google Kate Goesslin though, no idea who she is.

Well, from what I know, a Chad is like the overtly sexual alpha-male, fraternity type douchebag.

"Karen" has become a catch-all term for any instance of entitled behavior or hostility to rules that inconvenience them. A Corona Karen, then, is someone who resents having to wear a mask in public and practice social distancing. These days, "Chad" is used mainly by incels to refer to the kind of guy (tall, handsome, muscular) they imagine is monopolizing the sexual marketplace. In their warped minds, the vast majority of women only have sex with Chads.

1 hour ago, WingedEagle said:

When's the last time Low Ki wasn't living on his rep and Hitman gear?  I suppose this is one way to get his name out there, but would bet against it working out as he might hope for.

He was actually pretty good in MLW, Court has some weird magic powers where he can have every problem child in wrestling (Ki, Teddy, Corny, LA Park) on his roster at the same time and everyone behaved. 

Who is Low-Ki screaming at, exactly? 
It reads uncannily like one of my teenage angst-and-anger poems, where I'd scream at the world and think the world gave a shit.

*memo Mr. Low-Ki: your life-long anger is worse for your immune system than covid-19 would be. All your cardio and nutrition won't counter-balance the years that negativity and rage take off your life. 40 years old and no smile-lines....

I don't really have anywhere to put this but I was just thinking today, while watching some old AJPW matches, how deep pro-wrestling psychology can really go. One of my favorite little things, is how hope can work both for a babyface and against a heel. In example, if you think of a Jake Roberts match or a Diamond Dallas Page match in example, due to how their finish was established, it didn't matter how much of an ass whipping they took, as a fan you still thought they had a shot. If they can just hit their finish, they can still win. Even after getting beat down from bigger, stronger guys. It gave you hope, as a fan, throughout the entirety of their matches when they were working babyface. On the other end of the spectrum, a guy like Ric Flair. So many people got put in the Figure-Four Leglock, but you would see people power out of it, or refused to quit, or reverse it or get to the ropes... It gave you hope that even when he put it on, the babyface wasn't out of it & still had a shot. It wasn't automatically over. Which helped Flair as a heel in that regard. You felt like anyone had a shot against him & you might just get to see the upset. Good stuff.

This is so stupid, I have literally been laughing out loud for 15 mins. 

Seriously, WHAT is with Americans and not wearing masks? It's basically the only country where this is a thing. Every other country, people across the political divide are happily wearing masks cuz it's like, so non-political.