Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

19 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Justin Gabriel is the latest example of Pro Wrestlers being the dumbest fuckers on this God-forsaken land called Twitter:

Not that this means anything because of how fake the show is, but he seemed like a total dick on Total Divas, which only stood out because he was such a bland babyface wrestler.

Guys like Gabriel, with their flippity-floppity bippity-boppity style and not an ounce of charisma or screen presence, are absolutely useless to me as it is.

Add tweets like this and it's just icing on the shit cake. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He's talking about *pro-wrestling history* (yeah, I know, the grade school line is kinda ridiculous). In this context, Rikidozan is more important than Hulk Hogan. It's not even a debate. Without Hulk Hogan, well, there was already pro-wrestling in the US, for about a century, there was already stadium shows being sold out, pro-wrestling on TV, pro-wrestlers in movies and whatnot... But some people in the US seem to believe the US equals the World, then WWE equals US pro-wrestling, then WWE began in 1984...

It started because Dave said Chris Jericho vs. Kenny Omega could prove to be one of the most important matches in wrestling history. Rikidozan's not as important as Dave thinks. Inoki was more important to the history of Japanese pro-wrestling than Rikidozan. What's more, Dave refusing to acknowledge El Santo because Japan > Mexico was pathetic. And Hogan was a bigger deal than all of them put together. 

12 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

What's more, Dave refusing to acknowledge El Santo because Japan > Mexico was pathetic. 

:rolleyes:

I've heard Dave countless times acknowledging El Santo as a cultural icon and one of the most important pro-wrestler ever.

12 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

And Hogan was a bigger deal than all of them put together. 

Yeah, Hogan by himself is more important that the guy who basically jumpstarted pro-wrestling in Japan, the guy who founded NJPW, El fucking Santo all put together.... for sure... Being "famous" doesn't mean you're more *important*. Yeah, Hogan is more famous worldwide for obvious reasons.

I mean, except for the dark days of New Japan most of the wrestling there is better than what goes on in the US. It doesn't mean something that took place in Japan is automatically better, but nine times out of ten their top matches are going to smoke the top matches from everywhere else.

It's really funny to see Dave get memed for his supposed Japan fetish when those of us who cut our teeth on the mid 90s Internet Wrestling Community all looked up to people who worshiped at the altar of 90s All Japan.  Anyone saying Misawa vs Kawada wasn't the greatest match to ever exist was looked at as a heretic.

Watching a 41/1 outsider called Eaton leave some good horses in his wake reminded me of the value of "omen bets". I was on a good thing with a greyhound called Roman Reigns a couple of years back, Yes Yes Yes was a champion colt before its premature retirement, won a couple of bucks on Iron Sheik and even Rowdy Roddy saluted a few weeks back. On the other hand, Luchador is giving me no love. Anyone else won a dollar or two on wrestling-themed gee gee's or dishlickers?

(Had the usual amount on Eaton - one whole dollar:D. I never bet to win, only for fun.)

Rikidozan and Kimura vs Sharpe Brothers is taught in school. It came up in a couple of different college courses I took. Globalization of Sporting Cultures and History of World Sports. I took some interesting electives in college. Anyways my understanding from those classes is that Rikidozan and Kimura are taught in school in Japan similar to how Muhamed Ali vs Joe Fraiser is mentioned in a US history class as a reflection of the civil unrest and turmoil of the 1960s and 1970s and the waning popularity of the Veitnam War etc. In that same way Rikidozan and Kimura vs the Sharpe Brothers is discussed in a Japan History class as a reflection of post WWII era Japan and the effects of the American occupation and rise of television, etc. Somebody who actually lives in Japan (looking at you Gordi) feel free to correct me or elaborate.  So I don't think Meltzer is off based at all. But I could be wrong.   

Not really. The win over Blassie happened in 62, and yeah it was Rikidozan's first clean win against an American champion and probably only his 3rd or 4th clean singles victory over any big name American so it absolutely legitimized him but by that point Rikidozan was already a national hero. It was being part of the first nationally televised sporting event in 1954 vs the Sharpes and the subsequent rematches that really are considered the most historically important part of his career. I'm not sure I'd put the Blassie match ahead of the Thez tour of 1957 either. Rikidozan and Thez went broadway 8 times in two weeks in sold out baseball stadiums across the country. 

20 hours ago, ButchReedMark said:

What about Big Daddy? He's got to be in the conversation for "every fucker in the country knew of him" 

I guess the difference is he did not establish pro wrestling in the country. In fact, for whatever it's worth, apparently wrestling was more popular before Daddy's time and it almost died when or just after Daddy's run. 

The argument was not who the most known ks, but which match is historically most important. It's why I completely agree with Sek in his responses to Daniel

In one of the few things that united wrestling Twitter, Jake Hager appeared on the Jericho podcast nd alleged that Cena refused to put him over for the WWE title in 2010, and literally everyone went "Thank God, thank you Cena." Probably not the reaction either Hager or Jericho were expecting

8 hours ago, MoS said:

In one of the few things that united wrestling Twitter, Jake Hager appeared on the Jericho podcast nd alleged that Cena refused to put him over for the WWE title in 2010, and literally everyone went "Thank God, thank you Cena." Probably not the reaction either Hager or Jericho were expecting

Yeah, for all the times main eventers have been criticized for "playing politics," this is absolutely the correct use of one's "backstage clout."

Jake Hager is pretty useless. Even at his most compelling, with Dutch Mantell carrying him, he was stupid enough to get a DUI for weed and derail his WM push and presumed title win against Alberto Del Rio.

Yeah Jake Hager presents a lot of same problems that legit shooters who can't work present. He's 6'7" and as legit of an athlete as there is in wrestling  so by old school logic there's no way he should do any jobs to anybody, ever, under any circumstances. But at the same time, even after 15 years of experience, he still looks pretty green and inexperienced at times so there is no way he can go over anybody of worth. Plus you add in that he can't talk and is unreliable and he can't be anywhere near a main event, even though he's one of the 3 or 4 most legit guys in all of wrestling. I actually think AEW has done a great job with him just using him as a heater for Jericho.