TravJ1979

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

David Manning is literally the worst.

He makes Earl Hebner look understated when it comes to putting the focus on him.

Speaking of World Class refs, I was shocked to see Bronko Lubich take a ref bump (pushed by Kevin no less) on one of the 84 shows. I figured he was like a turtle and would never be able to get up again.

He makes Earl Hebner look understated when it comes to putting the focus on him.

Speaking of World Class refs, I was shocked to see Bronko Lubich take a ref bump (pushed by Kevin no less) on one of the 84 shows. I figured he was like a turtle and would never be able to get up again.

I just watched Jose Lothario and Blue Demon vs. Great Kabuki and Magic Dragon in a fun little tag from the 8/14/1982. Manning was involved and annoying as always.

Guys that wrestle bare foot are crazy to me. All the shit you could step on or how easy it would be to break a toe on something. It just blows my mind when I see guys do that.

When Necro works deathmatches I wince at the thought.

There was also a deathmatch from some shitty unknown fed between (I believe) Chaos and Vic Grimes where needles were stuck UNDERNEATH the nails of one of the wrestlers. I don't think I've ever been more freaked out over any other spot in wrestling as I was with that one.

This comment comes around because of a question on Jim cornettes drive thru podcast this week in relation to Shawn Michaels back injury in 1998, and given his previous "injuries" was there a believe behind the scenes in WWF about whether it was legit.

So to the fans who were smart to the inside of the business at the time, did anyone think he was faking it ?

This comment comes around because of a question on Jim cornettes drive thru podcast this week in relation to Shawn Michaels back injury in 1998, and given his previous "injuries" was there a believe behind the scenes in WWF about whether it was legit.

So to the fans who were smart to the inside of the business at the time, did anyone think he was faking it ?

I didn't and don't. Even if he was getting his downside staying at home, he left a lot of money on the table by leaving.

Add anyone that wrestles whilst wearing earrings - that seems like just asking for disaster when a headlock is the most fundamental move used in almost every single match at some point.

I think it was Jeff Hardy who once had a nipple piercing ripped out during a match. If not him then definitely some male wrestler. Ouchorama.

Manning and Lubich are literally the "unstoppable force" and the "immovable object".

Guys that wrestle bare foot are crazy to me. All the shit you could step on or how easy it would be to break a toe on something. It just blows my mind when I see guys do that.

When Necro works deathmatches I wince at the thought.

There was also a deathmatch from some shitty unknown fed between (I believe) Chaos and Vic Grimes where needles were stuck UNDERNEATH the nails of one of the wrestlers. I don't think I've ever been more freaked out over any other spot in wrestling as I was with that one.

It's really the glass that gets to me or the splinter of something getting shoved in your foot. Stepping on a nail or something is going to hurt but that's at least easy to remove. It's also the idea of breaking a toe by hitting something wrong or stubbing it.

Add anyone that wrestles whilst wearing earrings - that seems like just asking for disaster when a headlock is the most fundamental move used in almost every single match at some point.

I think it was Jeff Hardy who once had a nipple piercing ripped out during a match. If not him then definitely some male wrestler. Ouchorama.

Bossman ripped Droz nose ring out in 99. I'm sure it was an angle, but they got a lot of blood.

Given that Prichard said in a interview that Hogan was offered a contract in 1998 to come back to WWF how do you reckon it would have gone?

I know Warrior was too but guessing he wouldn't have stuck around too long.

It be nice to think we could have gotten a Hogan/Austin Wrestlemania match in 1999 but I doubt it, Ive always wondered had they tried to get Hulk Back in 97 and have him as the guy to war with McMahon how sucessful it would have been if Austin bombed in early 97.

Hogan in the middle of the Attitude Era, to me, would seem as weird and out of place as thinking of him in Jim Crockett Promotions a decade before. I rag on the AE here a lot but one of the positives of that time that I will give it is that it was when they had finally done away with the ghosts of the major success of the 80's. I think Savage would have been a better fit because he was more intense and could be as believable as someone like Austin or Rock at their best were.

Regular 1998 WWF royalties weren't going to beat the deal he'd worked out for himself in WCW though. He was also probably smart enough to know he wouldn't be able to make himself THE guy in WWF with Austin as hot as he was and he probably wasn't going to want to even feud with Austin because he wouldn't have been the one going over.

I don't think Hogan would have ever left WCW until the bitter end just because the money was so ridiculous. Even meeting with Vince in '97, Vince told him flat out that he couldn't match it. Not just base salary but ridiculous PPV money and merchandise slants in his favor (in addition to acting gigs on Turner properties). Even when business turned around for Vince, I'm not sure he would have offered Hogan that same deal.

Creatively, I don't think Hogan would have jumped in 97 or 98. 97 was WCW at their hottest, and business was still really good in 98 although the cracks were forming. By 99, I'm sure Hogan saw the writing on the wall and would have entertained an offer to jump and be Vince's corporate foil for Austin or whatever, but he was still making that money brother.

Does anybody else ever have a hard time distinguishing between a shoot and a work? The great shooters who had a ton of charisma and showmanship (ie Saku, Tamura, Aoki, Ogawa, etc) seem to almost be working during their shoots. Like they are trying carry their weaker opponents to make the fight more exciting. They understand the value of the fight being entertaining to the point where it seems like a work at times.

At the same time those same guys who are truly exceptional have works where the work is so violent and realistic that its almost more realistic than their shoots. Anybody else ever feel this way?