Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

So I am reading the Observer write ups on this site to kill time at work, and came across this....

Joel Deaton and Randy Rose wrestled in an Escape from Alcatraz match, on a small piece of land in the lake, called an island. They started throwing rocks and brawling, and then Tony Zane jumped off a houseboat and swam to the island where they double teamed Rose and pinned him, but pins don’t count. The match ends when someone swims to shore. They both tried to swim to shore and each climbed a lifeguard chair and brawled, until Rose clotheslined Deaton into the lake.

It apparently took place on a show called "Beach Brawl" promoted by Joe Pedicino.

Please tell me that footage of this exists. It sounds so stupid that I need to see it!!

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, joeg said:

Was in a wrestling discussion on facebook with some friends from work... did Stan Hansen ever tag with Ric Flair either in Georgia or the Carolinas most likely? And if so is there video of it? 

Only one I know of:

4 hours ago, El-P said:

Anyone has any idea who first did the "gets thrown off the tope rope" spot that Flair did all the time ? Was it a Ray Stevens thing ? 

From what I remember, there was a Cornette mailbag episode forever ago and this was one of them. It's fair to say that if Flair did it, it probably came from Buddy Rogers, Ray Stevens, or Jackie Fargo.

That's not even a knock. I

My favorite story about Zandig was an interaction he had with Dennis Carluzzo. Zandig had a WWF tryout at some point in like 1997 and Carluzzo called him congratulate him. Carluzzo said something like "hey congrats! I hear New York is going to offer you a job!" Zandig was very excited to hear this. Carluzzo followed it up with something like "Yeah Cornette keeps saying they need a new janitor at Titan Tower. I'm sure you'll be great at it"

11 minutes ago, Laz said:

From what I remember, there was a Cornette mailbag episode forever ago and this was one of them. It's fair to say that if Flair did it, it probably came from Buddy Rogers, Ray Stevens, or Jackie Fargo.

Yeah, I remember that as well.  I'm 99% sure he claimed it was a Ray Stevens spot originally...which isn't surprising when you consider how much Flair apparently looked up to Ray Stevens (for his outside of the ring antics too, I guess.)  I remember reading or hearing somewhere once, that Ray Stevens was one of the originators of the "big bumping" heel shtick but I have no proof of that. Sadly, I guess there is no way to find out if he was anywhere near as good as a lot of his peers say he was, since there is so little footage of him in his prime. :(

He seemed to crib a lot from Ray, including the "flip over the turnbuckle and land on the apron" spot, so it makes sense.

Even if you take into account typical wrestler exaggeration, just the idea that Ray Stevens was doing things like this 20 odd years before Flair is a good testament to his abilities.

2 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

Wasn't Zandig also involved with Big Japan a fair bit during their first few years?  IIRC, he showed up a few times on a "Best of Big Japan" comp VHS tape I used to have ages ago. Or maybe I'm confusing him with somebody else.

Yeah. He fleeced Big Japan in 1999ish. He had rented out the ECW Arena a few times for CZW shows and thus convinced Big Japan that CZW was on the same level as ECW. He  got them to agree to a working partnership where they paid him and flew in a bunch of CZW guys regularly. Some guys are just born workers with their hand in somebody else's pocket. 

3 minutes ago, joeg said:

Yeah. He fleeced Big Japan in 1999ish. He had rented out the ECW Arena a few times for CZW shows and thus convinced Big Japan that CZW was on the same level as ECW. He  got them to agree to a working partnership where they paid him and flew in a bunch of CZW guys regularly. Some guys are just born workers with their hand in somebody else's pocket. 

That's some quality carny-ing right there. 

From what small snippets exist of Stevens' 60s work, he looks like the real deal. I remember reading that he was never the same after blowing out his knee in a battle royal in the late 70s. In any event, he was a big bumper who lived life in the fast lane, neither of which is particularly conducive to extraordinary in-ring longevity.