Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

For context A depleted Indian side whose attack had 13 Test-match scalps between them (the Aussies,1033), whose batsmen had been dismissed for 37 (!) in Adelaide, whose captain had gone home for family reasons, did this: "Winning in Australia is just bloody hard; winning at the Gabba (Wooloongabba, Brisbane) leaves you bloodier still. Not that many can remember, it has been 32 years after all. The pitch suits the Australian way, the weather conditions melt most opponents. Ask a cricketer who has won down under and he will rate it right up there. Find one who has triumphed at the Gabba and the grin will run from ear to ear. It is difficult to explain why but it is like every single damn thing goes against you in Australia, which, of course, it only does because the Aussies are winning and in this game you make your own luck. Australians hunt as a pack, without mercy. They taunt, they swagger, they play darn good cricket, and then they arrive in Brisbane and turn it up so loud, it becomes unbearable...Tuesday's three-wicket triumph over Australia that secured the series 2-1 in favour of the tourists is already referred to as "a win for the ages", "the greatest series victory ever" and "the greatest moment in Indian Test history"." - Mark Nicholas, cricket scribe. 

If that wasn't cause enough for celebration, they've got WWE Superstar Spectacle to look forward to as well (he said, trying to throw some wrestling in here :) )

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, so not Miracle on Ice or Buster Douglas knocking out Mike Tyson level shocking, but Argentina beating the US in basketball at the 2004 Olympics level of upset? 

Also has anybody here ever used Wrestletravel.org? Was looking at the package for next year's Tokyo Dome show and was wondering if anybody had any experience with them. 

Australia beating the US in the America's Cup yacht-boating back in '83, or Wimpleton over Liverpool in the 1988 FA Cup Final come to mind.

Wrestletravel has been popping up in my Facey-feed, but given they're Brit-based I don't know if they can help an antipodean like me. Looking at Mania 39 in LA, as I want to get to Mania before I'm 50 (Madison Square Garden is still  Mecca for me, but the days of regular shows there seem gone. I'd take an MSG house-show over 'Mania, because MSG was the dream well before 'Mania).

10 hours ago, MoS said:

I would put it on the level of the Nuggets beating the Clippers last year, or Bron and Wade losing in the finals in 2010. 

It felt like the Patriots losing to the Giants, except that this Australian side aren't the Patriots. It's hard to find an analogy because India were only the underdog due to injuries. They're one of the best cricket sides in the world but were reduced to second stringers. Australia have lost a number of test series at home since their dominance ended, and IIRC it's the second series in a row that India has beaten them at home.  Of course, nobody expected them to lose at the Gabba, but personally, I think the 2001 Kolkata test was better because of the follow on, and because Australia had won a record 16 tests in a row.  

20 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

Australia beating the US in the America's Cup yacht-boating back in '83, or Wimpleton over Liverpool in the 1988 FA Cup Final come to mind.

Wrestletravel has been popping up in my Facey-feed, but given they're Brit-based I don't know if they can help an antipodean like me. Looking at Mania 39 in LA, as I want to get to Mania before I'm 50 (Madison Square Garden is still  Mecca for me, but the days of regular shows there seem gone. I'd take an MSG house-show over 'Mania, because MSG was the dream well before 'Mania).

I've never really seen Wimbledon vs Liverpool as the upset of all upsets the media narrative pushes it as. It's worth remembering that Wimbledon had already finished 7th that season, and they'd drawn in the league that season too. It's not like they were no hopers going in.

Now, Wrexham-Arsenal, there's an upset. 

10 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Taker said it was kind of dumb and he had to go two days in a row once. But he said he wasn't exempt from it. 

I also think Joe doesn't take it seriously because UFC's testing is kind of a punchline.

I mean Conor basically has a get out of jail free card. As long as he draws he can have whatever substances he wants. I suppose that's probably true for any headliner *cough& Jon Jones *cough* but it seems really painfully obvious in his case.

Plus I would expect since Joe spends so much time around fighters he knows exactly what game the WWE is playing.

On 1/22/2021 at 9:01 AM, ohtani's jacket said:

It felt like the Patriots losing to the Giants, except that this Australian side aren't the Patriots. It's hard to find an analogy because India were only the underdog due to injuries. They're one of the best cricket sides in the world but were reduced to second stringers. Australia have lost a number of test series at home since their dominance ended, and IIRC it's the second series in a row that India has beaten them at home.  Of course, nobody expected them to lose at the Gabba, but personally, I think the 2001 Kolkata test was better because of the follow on, and because Australia had won a record 16 tests in a row.  

Agree with your general point, but I think it's only South Africa who have won test series in Australia this century. India won their previous test series but that was of course during when Smith and Warner were banned due to sandpapergate so it had a massive asterisk next to it

On 1/23/2021 at 8:51 AM, ButchReedMark said:

I've never really seen Wimbledon vs Liverpool as the upset of all upsets

I'd been a Reds fan since I was four and there was no way this majestic club were losing to a bunch of thugs headlined by by Vinnie Jones hark ptui and the Crazy Gang. Never even entered my thoughts.

I've had India as the best team in the world for a few years now. Losing the series, losing at the Gabba didn't surprise me. There's 700 million males in India to fill eleven spots. Their developmental program is the toughest in world cricket, so anyone who makes it - even as a fill-in - is sure to be class.

Was Brisco over Dory Jr an upset? Jericho over Austin and Rock in the same night? I feel better comparisons are right under our noses.

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

Brisco didn't beat Dory for the NWA title. He beat Harley Race.

Thank-you. I dug further to see where I went wrong and Wiki says he was scheduled to beat Dory before a disputed truck accident, which I'm sure I read somewhere way-back. I was also fairly certain the Dory and Jack had a memorable feud, so I put two and two together and got five.

3 hours ago, Ricky Jackson said:

Koloff over Bruno in 71 is usually the default greatest wrestling upset ever 

trying to think of the closest modern-era equivalent and the best one i got was Brock ending the streak

EDIT: Kevin Owens beating Cena clean in his main-roster debut was also huge at the time, though IIRC that was right at the start of the period when Cena began jobbing way more so it doesn't have that staying power

also interesting to think about what the Japan answer would be for this.  the one off the top of my head is Vader beating Inoki in his debut...

Tokyo Sports reported Hideki Suzuki maybe signing with WWE as they spotted him at the airport and he had a one way ticket. He tweeted the link to the report and replied "I don't remember." He also tweeted he was in Singapore as he was there to meet with Shinya Aoki who fought on the last ONE FC card there. And he's also been tweeting obvious stock photos of the country. Someone asked him if he was signing with WWE and he replied "I don't know."

Tokyo Sports also quoted him saying "I don't have anything I want to do in Japan anymore." And they mentioned last year he said he was going on a trip as he wanted to visit the Kennedy Space Center and then Chris Hero tweeted the photo of him, with Hideki, Thatcher and Gulak at the WWE Performance Center.

I think and hope he's signed and will be revealed when they announce the class Priscilla Kelly and the other girls are in.