Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yoshiaki Yatsu started a YouTube channel almost a year ago, and has put out a steady stream of content apparently reminiscing on his time in wrestling. What makes this largely webcam-based show endearing are the public access TV-calibre special effects, most notably a semi-recurring bit where he replaces his prosthesis with a rocket and flies through time and space. I don't know if he's saying much that's of interest (look, screenshotting a vlog with burned-in subtitles to transcribe them via Kanjitomo on a whim is a bit much, even for me), but knowing that this exists is charming.

22 hours ago, Flyin' Brian said:

That’s great. The Thing was a wrestler in the 80’s too, Unlimited Class Wrestling Federation where the wrestlers had superpowers. Had their own GLOW type division called The Grapplers too. Good stuff.

The Scourge killing Titania in The Grapplers' locker room was the Marvel Universe's equivalent of Bruiser Brody's death.

Watching some 1997 WCW. I think Jacqueline was a far better bodyguard than Chyna was. Chyna obviously had the look but Jacqueline being able to actually work and her attitude made her a more intimidating presence at ringside. Chyna would just do whatever arranged spot she had while it felt like Jacqueline would beat your ass if she got the chance. 

7 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Watching some 1997 WCW. I think Jacqueline was a far better bodyguard than Chyna was. Chyna obviously had the look but Jacqueline being able to actually work and her attitude made her a more intimidating presence at ringside.

Yeah, totally agree. I loved Jackie beating up jobbers during Sullivan squashes, she had so much intensity and presence. I remember her brutally bodyslamming a guy outside *while wearing high heels*. She was so badass, and looked the part too.

Jacqueline also would just fuck with you because she wanted to. Half the time she didn't even need to and I think that helped her sense of danger. It was kind of like getting tossed out there with Meng. She was just a bad motherfucker. 

Even her promos were good. When she debuted she said she was going to whip Woman like she stole something and it felt 100% sincere. It's a real shame WWE never quite captured the same magic with her. 

Edge was on a hockey podcast and got asked about his favorite matches. He mentioned Shawn/Taker from WM 25 and Eddie/Angle from 20, which aren't surprising. But then also mentioned Bret Hart and Nick Bockwinkel as basically his favorite wrestlers to watch. Said he can go down a 5 hour Nick Bockwinkel wormhole (which I'm sure many here can relate going down worm holes for various wrestlers). Interesting because I don't think I've ever heard a modern wrestler previously mention Bockwinkel as any sort of influence. Also interesting because to me Edge wrestles nothing like Bret or Bockwinkel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwk4UKXq7ss (it's around the 54 minute mark).

Question for historians here - (Really wish @mookeighana still posted here): how much trusth is there to the claim, made especially by Bruno, that Hogan did not draw well when he would headline in the same city month after month for subsequent shows, and therefore he had to be booked as a special attraction appearing only 2-3 times a year? One of Bruno's biggest criticisms of Hogan was that attendance for shows that Bruno would headline would go up in the 2nd match, and even more in the 3rd match in the 3rd month, while with Hogan the trend was the exact opposite. I was wondering if there was any truth to this claim

Hogan definitely wasn't the crazy sellout after sellout draw that Bruno was in the Northeast. Even Bruno had his down periods though, especially in the 60s when the territory went through a rough patch for about three years or more. But Bruno from 73-77 was just an incredible draw, where a non sellout, at least at MSG, was the exception. Hogan definitely didnt match the track record of his predecessors in the Northeast as far as consistency went, but he drew monster houses with, generally, the most over heels, like Piper, Savage and Orndorff, or the most believably threatening ones, like Andre, Kamala and Bossman. Hogan had many more flop houses than Bruno did in the 70s, but Bruno in the 60s had a weaker ratio, comparable to 80s Hogan actually. Where Hogan has Bruno beat was the impressive TV and PPV (something Bruno didnt have obviously) #s, the crossover beyond wrestling fame, and merchandise (again, something Bruno didnt have). Bruno's 70s smokes Hogan as a monthly draw, peaking with the Larry Z feud in 80, and he is an all-time great based solely on that metric. By the mid-80s the territory went national, so the comparison can be difficult. Hogan didnt have the same schedule as Bruno, as far as working the same cities in the Northeast month after month went. To your original question, I think it had more to do with Hogan working a national schedule than diminishing returns limiting his appearances. And based on a look at Hogan at the Spectrum on the 80s, it seems like it was the drawing power of the heel that increased the house, while a lesser heel (not as a performer, but as a draw), like Patera, Valentine, or Adonis, meant a subpar crowd, not so much that fans were sick of Hulk after seeing him once or whatnot 

6 hours ago, Frankensteiner said:

Edge was on a hockey podcast and got asked about his favorite matches. He mentioned Shawn/Taker from WM 25 and Eddie/Angle from 20, which aren't surprising. But then also mentioned Bret Hart and Nick Bockwinkel as basically his favorite wrestlers to watch. Said he can go down a 5 hour Nick Bockwinkel wormhole (which I'm sure many here can relate going down worm holes for various wrestlers). Interesting because I don't think I've ever heard a modern wrestler previously mention Bockwinkel as any sort of influence. Also interesting because to me Edge wrestles nothing like Bret or Bockwinkel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwk4UKXq7ss (it's around the 54 minute mark).

I can't provide a specific reference point but Jericho has mentioned lots of times how growing up in Winnipeg he went to AWA shows. Stands to reason Bockwinkel was an influence for him.