Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As some of you know and none of you care (rightfully so), I've been doing my own GWE - Greyhound / Wrestler Experiment. $1 win bets. Masked Gladiator kicked things off (17/1), and Four Pillars (2/1), We The People (twice, 4/1 and 3/1), Luchador (twice, 4.60 and 2/1), Corazon de Leon (2.50/1), Low Blow (10/1), Bad Bailey (8/1), Arrogant Dusty (9.60/1), Crazy Diva (3.60/1), Miss Kenny (I checked the owners; J. Cornette not amongst them, 5/1) and Rippin Memphis (five on the trot - $4.50, $15.50, $1.90, $1.04, $1.40) round out the winner's circle to date. Oh and Dr. Knuckles at 5/1 (sounded like a wrestling name...). Which easily covered losses on:

Flair, Eadie, Rowdy Roddy, Zukhov, Paige, Missing Link, Gino Gambino, Arquette, Evolution, Twisted Bliss, Run Baba Run (twice), Luchador (*they run every week, sometimes twice, can't win 'em all), Masked Gladiator*, Bad Bailey*, Bailey, Big Gordy, his older brother Gordito, Five Star, Razor's Edge, Fear the Spear, She Knows Uno, Gladiator Hulk, Rockstar Orton, Dusty Charms (twice) and Chachi Arcola (:)). Kenny Sure Can...sure can't. And no way was I touching Fake Fake Fake (hark ptui).

If anyone thinks this is not the place for this, please note: To me Pro-Wrestling is levity. Yes I can get fully immersed in matches and no I don't giggle at Burning Hammers. I don't treat wrestling as a joke - I'm somehow, wonderfully, ranked in the (admittedly outdated) Australian Wrestling Directory's Top 200 All-Time list, so pro-wrestling is very much an important part of me. But I'm pushing 48 years old : there's no way I can take this caper too seriously (Choo choo, anyone?). Respect, yes. Actually, there's probably a thread in there: Is Wrestling Meant to be Taken Seriously? Not talking Shibata brainbutting Okada or internal decapitations, talking the umbrella, the notion even.

Well, that went in a different direction than I intended, but I'll push submit reply anyway...

2 hours ago, joeg said:

So if I follow your post correctly, you place bets at the dog track based on which dog has a wrestling related name? 

Yes mate:). I love dogs and I love wrestling, so it's a natural fit. If only Pedro Morales had followed my lead, he wouldn't have had to pawn the WWWF belt...

What I love about your posts is that if I just read them they make no sense. But then when I read them with Crocodile Dundee's voice in my head, they make total sense and are absolutely awesome. It's like you write in a thick Aussie accent.  

You up or down at the track?

:D thanks mate! I'll try and chuck in more 'crikeys' and the like.

I'm up on wrestling-themed hounds (those numbers were how much I won on each, from a dollar win-bet, and then take a dollar off for the ones that lost. It's nearly $100 won from nearly $50 wagered). I'm down when I actually try to pick a winner, so I'm about even, I'd wager (ahem).

I learned when I was 11 to only gamble for fun, not to win money (long story). I never bet more than a dollar, even when my mates are throwing around fifties and hundreds. If I'm going to donate proper money, it won't be to a bookie...

And I've bet on the Royal Rumble itself and one of the WrestleManias. I don't understand people who think that's ridiculous (and there's plenty of them). 

23 minutes ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

Is there going to be a purge of talent from WWE and AEW once COVID is considered “over enough” that it’s socially acceptable to release a bunch of people?  Or are they both going to continue warehousing wrestlers they have no intention of ever using?

Well WWE already fired a whole bunch of people last year in the midst of the pandemic taking hold so I don't think they're particularly waiting on anything before firing anyone.

37 minutes ago, SmartMark15 said:

Well WWE already fired a whole bunch of people last year in the midst of the pandemic taking hold so I don't think they're particularly waiting on anything before firing anyone.

I would agree but I think they probably took enough shit to not do it again for a while, especially when it became known that they had their most profitable year ever during the pandemic. They released all those people while a lot of sports leagues and massive corporations were getting away with firing/furloughing people under the guise of preservation to boost their bottom line.

I can't pinpoint exactly when it seemed to take place, but Kento Miyahara has become a caricature of himself.  His matches are now exaggerated showcases of his personality and working the crowd rather than working any kind of actual match.  He's definitely at a loss for quality opponents with Shuji Ishikawa & Suwama past their expiration dates, Naoya Nomura on the shelf having to go to the well one too many times with Zeus and Jake Lee/Shotaro Ashino not delivering as expected/hoped for.  Bottom line is that whereas a couple years ago I looked forward to his big matches as potential MOTYCs now I almost dread them.  Hopefully AJPW can find some fresh opponents and he can find his working shoes again rather than coasting.

17 hours ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

Is there going to be a purge of talent from WWE and AEW once COVID is considered “over enough” that it’s socially acceptable to release a bunch of people?  Or are they both going to continue warehousing wrestlers they have no intention of ever using?

There's been genuine WWE/NXT cuts rumours the last 3 weeks or so internally. People are on edge.

I've only heard the opposite with AEW and no matter how much fans online write spurious and bafflingly lists of talent they would cut in a recent fad.

Thought this was an interesting quote from Seth Rollins regarding the way WWE is pulled between different parts of its fan base nowadays.

Rollins was interviewed by Ryan Satin and made these comments (Fightful transcription) regarding fans at TV vs. no fans at Thunderdome. “I still think social media still plays quite a role in how shows are written and how characters are portrayed. (Not having fans) has allowed us to tell our stories a little cleaner in the sense that things aren't up and down as they may normally be. Whether that's good or bad, I'm not entirely sure. I miss the fans and live interaction, but I like being able to cut a promo and getting all the way through without having to side-eye the audience. It's nice to get a thought out without being interrupted by 'C.M. Punk' chants.” "Some stories have overstayed their welcome, but we've definitely been allowed to tell fully fleshed out stories over six or seven months that we wouldn't get through normally because a live crowd would force creative to change course. I had a blast working with the Mysterios, though things got carried away at the end. I was proud of the eye-for-an-eye match." While the match itself was heavily criticized due to the stupidity of the stipulation, the actual work in the match was great. Regarding the period just before he was turned, which was after his portrayal as a face in the feud with The Fiend just killing him, “It got weird and very odd. I would go to live events and the response was not what you would see on TV. The crowds were two totally different crowds. At a live event, the crowd would be 100% pro-Rollins and it was a party. Then we'd come to TV and the louder half would be down my throat. It's very confusing and sometimes I think it pushes our creative process in directions that maybe we shouldn't be going, but that's how the business is these days and you gotta figure it out and adapt.

12 hours ago, rovert said:

There's been genuine WWE/NXT cuts rumours the last 3 weeks or so internally. People are on edge.

I've only heard the opposite with AEW and no matter how much fans online write spurious and bafflingly lists of talent they would cut in a recent fad.

I wonder how much the WWE cut rumors are coming from them historically doing a post Wrestlemania purge of people who don't get used much. 

7 hours ago, sek69 said:

I wonder how much the WWE cut rumors are coming from them historically doing a post Wrestlemania purge of people who don't get used much. 

Not really that more they made cuts last year, they do actually have a surplus of wrestlers and you bring in a Johnny Ace to an axeman.

Just want to say it's nice to see a lot of veteran posters return in the last few months and a bunch of new posters pop up in the last few weeks. Sure, there's been an increase in arguments, and some outright hostility, but at least the board feels alive for the first time in years. But I'm probably just feeling nostalgic these days...

17 hours ago, sek69 said:

I suppose the idea that AEW has too many people already signed might be making them more open to the idea of letting people go.

They need to do something because Dark is just a slog to get through. It's pushing 3 hours of squash matches most weeks. I get they want to pay people but there are a solid 10-15 guys on the undercard that could get let go or loaned out to other promotions.