TravJ1979

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/18/2021 at 9:23 PM, MoS said:

I vaguely remember reading a few months back about this A&E doc series that would start its run with an Austin doc - didn't realise it's already here. Is this series WWE-afiliated or will they actually approach taboo topics for their subjects?

This is basically a WWE Network/Peacock doc, except on A&E instead.Ā 

On 4/18/2021 at 11:17 PM, JRH said:

Actually, I enjoyed the show afterwards where Foley and some other guy visited wrestling memorabilia collectors to acquire rare items more.

I thought it was fun too, butĀ the whole thing wasĀ faker than pro wrestling. Like I really believe Triple H was just waiting around the WWE Warehouse for Mick's call...lole. But I enjoyed it anyway.Ā 

Ā 

20 hours ago, Infinit said:

Did you really think it would go anywhere near his domestic abuse issues?Ā 

I don't know, that's why I asked. I don't know if this is like a documentary, a Dark Side of the Ring kind of thing or what the show even is. I just heard A&E was doing wrestling shows.Ā 

Worst rings to bump in:

Ā 

Lucha rings

40s/50s/60s that just used boxing rings

WWF from late 80s to the early Attitude Era

Ā 

Because I've actually bumped in a boxing ring before and it didn't seem nearly as awful as when you see bumps in the WWF ring especially 1989-1992ish but the 1994 rings also seemed absolutely brutalĀ 

4 hours ago, Coffey said:

I don't know, that's why I asked. I don't know if this is like a documentary, a Dark Side of the Ring kind of thing or what the show even is. I just heard A&E was doing wrestling shows.Ā 

It's got WWE's blessing...and is a living topic. Those are 2 reasons for them to gloss over anything deemed too problematic.Ā 

16 hours ago, Richeyedwards said:

On twitter today massaki mochizuki said he has notebooks with all his matches in them. He is up to by his count 3697 matches across 27 years.

Amazing that Cagematch is only missing 67 matches in that case! They have 3630 listed on his profile.

22 hours ago, strobogo said:

Worst rings to bump in:

Ā 

Lucha rings

40s/50s/60s that just used boxing rings

WWF from late 80s to the early Attitude Era

Ā 

Because I've actually bumped in a boxing ring before and it didn't seem nearly as awful as when you see bumps in the WWF ring especially 1989-1992ish but the 1994 rings also seemed absolutely brutalĀ 

I've been watching some of the early Wrestlemanias, and man those rings looked like they were no fun at all.Ā 

I recall Dave mentioning how WWF rings suddenly started having way more give to them when Vince became an regular character taking bumps.Ā 

My dad used to watch wrestling in the sixties & seventies & would often reference a lot of things that aren't easy to find. Growing up & living in Indiana, I reckon his exposure to live wrestling was the old Dick the Bruiser WWA loop from Terre Haute up to Fort Wayne by way of Indianapolis but whatever he got on television, which I imagine was based out of Indy or Chicago, I don't know. I don't think anything from Detroit would have played locally.

Obviously I am familiar with the likes of a Dick the Bruiser, Moose Cholak or Bobo Brazil but my dad often references the "Algerian Hangman" which is apparently a move? I have no idea what that move is or who used it. Anyone familiar?Ā 

4 hours ago, Coffey said:

My dad used to watch wrestling in the sixties & seventies & would often reference a lot of things that aren't easy to find. Growing up & living in Indiana, I reckon his exposure to live wrestling was the old Dick the Bruiser WWA loop from Terre Haute up to Fort Wayne by way of Indianapolis but whatever he got on television, which I imagine was based out of Indy or Chicago, I don't know. I don't think anything from Detroit would have played locally.

Obviously I am familiar with the likes of a Dick the Bruiser, Moose Cholak or Bobo Brazil but my dad often references the "Algerian Hangman" which is apparently a move? I have no idea what that move is or who used it. Anyone familiar?Ā 

It's funny you mention that. My mom used to mention stuff that my grandfather watched wrestling wise in the 50s. One that always stuck with her was the Iron Russian. I didn't know what the fuck she was talking about until I finally found results from Al Haft's MWA posted somewhere. Literally first match I saw, tag team called the Iron Russians. Literally I couldn't figure this out for 15 years.Ā