Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

1 hour ago, Ricky Jackson said:

Why Does Ric Flair Capitalize Every Single Goddamned Word In His Tweets? It Drives Me Crazy 

So that we can imagine a coke-snorting high out of his mind Naitch scream those tweets as wrestling promos in our mind 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So Chelsea Green and a fan who made some art for her that she used without credit (and then blocked the fan when he requested it) are having a groan-inducing feud over on Wrestling Twitter. Chelsea made a mistake by not crediting him and blocking him when he requested credit, but Wrestling Twitter showed they are not much better by relentlessly mocking and insulting and bullying Chelsea, and then tagging indies demanding they do not book her. Yeah, cuz Chelsea Green is surely the first person in wrestling history to use someone else's work to promote themselves without crediting the actual artist 

Someone in the RAW thread mentioned that it looks like Shelton Benjamin will be used as a jobber/Main Event talent despite solid work with the Hurt Business and it got me thinking about the inevitable Shelton Benjamin Hall of Fame induction.

Now, I'm not talking about whether he deserves to be in there or even if he'll be inducted one day - I'm pre-supposing that, some day, whether its 2025 or 2030 or even sooner, the WWE will have inducted so many of their "A" talents that Shelton Benjamin will be inducted as well.

But what would that video package even be like? The awkwardness is almost fun to envision. On one hand, you'd have all sorts of guys, maybe even Lesnar and Angle, talking up Shelton's amazing physical gifts and athleticism, maybe you'd have Kofi mention how funny he was with his Momma or how innovative he was with his acts of balance and agility, I can see Cedric and Lashley talking about having him as a teammate, etc. Its not like its hard to find nice things to say about Shelton Benjamin and this is before anyone talks about any out-of-the-ring things.

At the same time, that highlight reel would still feel pretty thin. While Shelton did some cool feats back in the day (springboarding from the ropes onto a ladder, for example), his innovations are kinda footnotes to what Kofi Kingston perfected - a bit like how Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain dunked years before Dr. J, but Dr. J is still credited as the man who brought it to another level. Shelton has a ton of title reigns under his belt but titles have never meant less and didn't mean all that much when he had them*. The Shelton's Momma angle was...well...let's just say it wasn't the worst angle the WWE ran in the mid-90s, but how memorable was it really? Benjamin's gimmick has mostly been based on him being a good wrestler, period, but he didn't even get a run with Heyman or a McMahon at his side, something that other "bland shooter types" have had (Benoit and Curtis Axel come to mind).

I'm not sure what my point is, really, aside from just to say that Benjamin seems like both an underachiever and an overachiever at the same time. I'm not sure he was ever going to be a top, top guy - he just wasn't a big enough personality to reach that level and the 2000s was famously a time where the glass ceiling didn't budge and didn't change much at all between roughly 02' and 09' - but he also kind of should have a longer resume of memorable angles, segments, and matches considering his tenure and talent. Like, there's an alternate universe where Shelton did get a great manager or he linked up with MVP much earlier or the WGTT existed at the same time as the New Day and Usos...

43 minutes ago, MoS said:

So Chelsea Green and a fan who made some art for her that she used without credit (and then blocked the fan when he requested it) are having a groan-inducing feud over on Wrestling Twitter. Chelsea made a mistake by not crediting him and blocking him when he requested credit, but Wrestling Twitter showed they are not much better by relentlessly mocking and insulting and bullying Chelsea, and then tagging indies demanding they do not book her. Yeah, cuz Chelsea Green is surely the first person in wrestling history to use someone else's work to promote themselves without crediting the actual artist 

It's a heel/heel matchup, really. There's no excuse for using someone's work without attribution, but repeatedly pestering her on Twitter was the wrong way for the guy to deal with it.

Spoiler

And people are still dragging her after she apologized and gave the guy credit. There's no way to win with the outrage mob. Even if you do apologize, they'll reject it because it wasn't timely enough or it wasn't worded properly or some other bullshit reason. Social media was a mistake.

12 hours ago, Ricky Jackson said:

Why Does Ric Flair Capitalize Every Single Goddamned Word In His Tweets? It Drives Me Crazy 

This is how he loses GWE 2026. Laugh now, but when the hairs need to be split, we'll all have to get down to answering the questions we were once too scared to ask.

The Twitter reaction to Green has been, quite frankly, embarrassing. I've dealt with social media mobs in the past and there is no winning with them. Once the torches are lit, that's it. Green could have and should have handled that situation better. She is not the first and won't be the last. Artists get screwed over all the time and so even something as a simple credit means a lot because sometimes that is all they will get for their work. With that said, seeing torches lit for this situation is not entirely surprising. Calls for her to lose bookings, negative comments on her looks, and taking joy in her being fired seems a little excessive. Well, not a little excessive, it is excessive. There is an honest conversation to be had as it relates to sharing or stealing art. However, it seems as though many don't want to have that conversation and instead have, for lack of a better term in this case, Chelsea 'canceled'. I am not a fan of hers and have never been a fan of hers. If I never see another Chelsea Green match in my life, I will be just fine. I don't think anyone should cut her any slack in this situation, but perhaps no death threats? Just my two cents. Maybe death threats are a completely reasonable reaction to this and I am the one out of touch?

As for the fan, he should have handled it better as well. If I'm a wrestler and I'm looking to commission art for a future project, why would I want to work with someone who I know will potentially screenshot and post our interactions if the artist doesn't get his/her way? I understand everyone wants to make money and get recognization, but the business side should be kept in mind. Send Chelsea a message, allow her a reasonable amount of time to respond and if she doesn't, you move on. Instead of posting 'the tea' on social media, just send out a tweet "Hey everyone! I made a graphic for one of my favorite wrestlers Chelsea Green. It's my honor to see she is using it. Be sure to check out her new podcast and reach out to book her! Also, if you like this piece and want to see more or want to collaborate, check out www.myart.com". That's it. That is literally it. The artist can his tea and cake at the same time. 

Shelton Benjamin will be seen as a standout Ruthless Aggression era wrestler, and yes, as a pre-cursor in a way to Kofi Kingston's amazing abilities. I am sure in the video package Kofi will point to Benjamin as an inspiration and mentor much like Kobe and Lebron have done with Jordan. WWE has a way with setting narratives and I believe the WGTT run, the MITB innovation, general athleticism in other matches, and of course the multiple title wins will make him a no brainer. In addition to Kofi, I am sure Angle, Lashley, and Lesnar won't mind saying a few things about Shelton when it comes time to induct him. Shelton will be fine. There is no way he doesn't become a future PC trainer or work with WWE in some capacity.

Shelton has a better WWE HOF career than a good chunk of guys inducted since 2004 based on just WWE careers. It would not be weird or out of line at all for a guy with as many IC/US/tag title reigns as him would eventually be inducted. But I'm still gonna rage when Dolph Ziggler gets into the HOF.

19 hours ago, MoS said:

Childish drama. The guy who created didn't credit the photographer either.

I love the hypocrisy when they scream "we need to end cyber bullying" and then proceed to cyber bully folks over something like this even after she apologized.

58 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Childish drama. The guy who created didn't credit the photographer either.

I love the hypocrisy when they scream "we need to end cyber bullying" and then proceed to cyber bully folks over something like this even after she apologized.

Yeah, I think Chelsea should have credited in the first place, but the pile-on was vile and the hypocrisy from the guy who didn't credit the photographer(s) is REALLY strong.

@Flyin' Brian don't forget the "Gold Standard" era. Benjamin rocked the Sisqo hair color for a bit and seemed to come out of his shell, for Shelton standards, to show his personality somewhat. Overall though, your point's taken.

The social media bullying is insane to watch in real time. We haven't learned anything from Hana Kimura. Nothing. Zero. Nada. From Natalya invoking Hana's name because someone isn't a fan of her character and doesn't want her to win the title to fans spilling tea when they don't get their way ( the Green situation), its just all around toxic. I wish some of these people will think of the end goal. We have Natalya acting in complete bad faith because she worked herself into a shoot as it relates to her character (remember the fantasy team 'scandal' ), fans looking to scoring points with other fans, and other nonsense. No real end goal. Just people who want to feel superior to others. This post itself, is not that. I am not above any of this, I just find it completely silly. So rather than rising above and potentially being part of the problem, I try to just stay out of it as much as I can on social media. I think we should also try to distinguish commenting on an issue, regardless of how mundane the comment and/or issue, and actually dog piling. The first is usually, and I do mean usually, pretty harmless. The second on the other hand leads to doxxing, death threats, and negative impacts in various forms.

5 hours ago, fakeplastictrees said:

@Flyin' Brian don't forget the "Gold Standard" era. Benjamin rocked the Sisqo hair color for a bit and seemed to come out of his shell, for Shelton standards, to show his personality somewhat. Overall though, your point's taken.

The social media bullying is insane to watch in real time. We haven't learned anything from Hana Kimura. Nothing. Zero. Nada. From Natalya invoking Hana's name because someone isn't a fan of her character and doesn't want her to win the title to fans spilling tea when they don't get their way ( the Green situation), its just all around toxic. I wish some of these people will think of the end goal. We have Natalya acting in complete bad faith because she worked herself into a shoot as it relates to her character (remember the fantasy team 'scandal' ), fans looking to scoring points with other fans, and other nonsense. No real end goal. Just people who want to feel superior to others. This post itself, is not that. I am not above any of this, I just find it completely silly. So rather than rising above and potentially being part of the problem, I try to just stay out of it as much as I can on social media. I think we should also try to distinguish commenting on an issue, regardless of how mundane the comment and/or issue, and actually dog piling. The first is usually, and I do mean usually, pretty harmless. The second on the other hand leads to doxxing, death threats, and negative impacts in various forms.

I avoid Twitter and most social media like the plague. I only bounce in to message people privately. I find all of Twitter to just be a garbage pile. Both sides are usually intolerable. I find the talent to typically be thin skinned babies about even the mildest of critique or something they find on a vanity search and I don't even know what the hell people calling themselves fans are doing on there.

11 hours ago, Dale Wolfe said:

Can't pretend I know loads about Sexy Star bar the Triplemania incident etc, but she got absolutely destroyed in Combate last night

Poor refereeing maybe but a bit of karma there perhaps

She was known for having a pretty severe case of "notgonnadoajob-itis" in wrestling and generally seemed to be pretty full of herself before the Triplemania deal happened, so there's going to be a lot of schadenfreude when she takes an L.