Jump to content
Pro Wrestling Only
TravJ1979

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Al said:

I've only seen pictures of Ramos, but I like that comparison.

It's only 8 minutes but you can get a fairly good look at how he moves and his overall attitude here. It frustrates me that we don't have more young Ramos since he was a key figure in territories I care about but everything we have of him from the late 70s on doesn't really give us a good look at why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And how many wrestlers can say they've got a great Mountain Goats song about them? (Quite a few, actually.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, joeg said:

No. Just no. Who in modern wrestling is a legit tough guy in a bar fight whip you sense, can talk, can work against anybody, bumps his ass off, and has the size to be physically imposing? Nobody, and Steen checks like one of those boxes.

KO isn't physically imposing and since when is he considered some tough guy shooter type? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, strobogo said:

KO isn't physically imposing and since when is he considered some tough guy shooter type? 

I think that's Joeg's point. The "one" box KO checks is probably that he can talk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely dead at how even in this pic of everyone laughing and having fun, including Baba-san himself, Kawada STILL looks grumpy and pissed off. The man probably kicked the doctor who delivered him in the face as soon as he climbed out of his mom's womb 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has there ever been a more purely boring PPV than Battlebowl 1993? The only thing I can think of that could be duller is Survivor Series 1991.There are certainly worse PPVs in terms of awful wrestling or angles, but there can usually be some kind of entertainment value squeezed out of something like Uncensored 1995 or even Russo era WCW PPVs. The only thing remotely decent is Flair/Austin vs Scorp/Payne which is essentially a 15 minute handicap match of Flair/Austin as a bickering but pretty decent team in a handicap match with Scorp. 

 

I love the Lethal Lottery concept but man has it just never produced anything worth a shit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ricky Jackson said:

Mania's 2016-2019 sapped my very will to live, but I dont know if boring is the right word 

Honestly, any show that goes over 3.5 hours starts to become boring to me especially live. Some of those RoH shows I went to live went 4-5 hours and I was just done by the last hour each and every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't imagine being live for a 7 hour Mania. And then having to deal with transit issues or traffic after

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Honestly, any show that goes over 3.5 hours starts to become boring to me especially live. Some of those RoH shows I went to live went 4-5 hours and I was just done by the last hour each and every time.

Oh, god, yeah. I love watching live shows but think that I'd be out on my feet after 4 hours plus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ricky Jackson said:

I couldn't imagine being live for a 7 hour Mania. And then having to deal with transit issues or traffic after

Me at Mania 35. Tailgate first, then Mania was 37 hours long, then I had no way home, waited in the pouring rain for maybe 3 hrs, got on the last train out of MetLife, finally caught an Uber at Hoboken on 1% battery and got back at like 4.30am. 

Mania 34 was even longer and I fell asleep during Roman/Brock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marksman said:

Oh, god, yeah. I love watching live shows but think that I'd be out on my feet after 4 hours plus.

Chikara was the best show I ever went to. 3 pm on a Sunday after and I was done by 5:30. Good variety of matches and the main was the only thing that went longer than 12 minutes.

I went to one RoH show that started at 6:30 and it's fucking 11:30 and they do a 40 minute main that went until past midnight. This was in Dayton so I had about an hour drive home. I couldn't get out of that show quick enough. Edit: I was also sitting next to a guy that had to weigh at least 500 lbs. because he was sitting in a chair but he was practically sitting on me too because his fat was just laying on me. 

I'm questioning my life decisions right now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Chikara was the best show I ever went to. 3 pm on a Sunday after and I was done by 5:30. Good variety of matches and the main was the only thing that went longer than 12 minutes.

I went to one RoH show that started at 6:30 and it's fucking 11:30 and they do a 40 minute main that went until past midnight.

That RoH show sounds horrific. Something with most matches under 12 minutes is DEFINITELY more in my ballpark! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MoS said:

I think that's Joeg's point. The "one" box KO checks is probably that he can talk

Correct.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ricky Jackson said:

I couldn't imagine being live for a 7 hour Mania. And then having to deal with transit issues or traffic after

With the time difference here, the last time I watched wrestling live was Wrestlemania 17. 

I can avoid spoilers easily enough - I'm a next evening (or morning - if I'm off work) wrestling viewer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I realized around 2015/2016 that any show over 3 hours wasn't something I was going to enjoy. It's one thing when it's a company's biggest show of the year, it's another thing when it's just another Saturday at the local rec hall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was Baba kind of forced to push Hiroshi Wajima as a big deal due to his sumo career, or did he actually have high hopes for him as a Tenryu tier guy? Because he's...pretty not good. At all. But there's a huge presentation around him and even his excursion matches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@strobogoForced isn't the word I would use. I don't think at 38 needing 2 new knees, Wajima was expected to be an all time worker or have a lengthy career. But I'm sure Baba expected Wajima to draw better than did. Wajima was the first yokozuna to go into pro wrestling in like 20 years and really should have drawn better. Ultimately he served his purpose of being a big name from another sport who came in for a short time and put over Hansen and Tenryu.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Signing Wajima resulted in All Japan being banned from Sumo Hall, so if anything, the opposite is true. It was really the same deal as Anton Geesink a decade earlier. They were both major-league sports stars brought in as publicity stunts. In both cases, it worked in the short-term (Wajima's debut match was actually the highest-rated All Japan TV show of the decade) but had a limited shelf life due to their limitations as workers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@NintendoLogic  Really that's why they stopped running the Sumo Hall? I had heard that they stopped running Sumo Hall a year before when it moved from Kuramae to Ryogoku. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, joeg said:

@NintendoLogic  Really that's why they stopped running the Sumo Hall? I had heard that they stopped running Sumo Hall a year before when it moved from Kuramae to Ryogoku. 

All Japan actually ran the first wrestling event held at the new Ryogoku Kokugikan (on 3/9/85). They also held their October anniversary shows in 1985 and 1986 at the venue. Wajima had been expelled from sumo for using his Sumo Association elder stock as collateral for loans to pay off his debts, so they were banned from the building starting in November of 1986.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching some 1996 WCW has me wondering if  Jeff Jarrett could have been a bigger babyface if they changed his look and he stopped doing the Fargo strut or was he doomed from the start after the god awful Double J stuff in wwf? 
 

At the time, I felt like coming in, telling the NWO to stick it and having Ric Flair endorse him made him look like a huge deal but I feel like his look reminded the fans too much of the horrible wwf run that they immediately turned on him. I wanted to like him but I hated his previous gimmick so much that I had a hard time getting into him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

All Japan actually ran the first wrestling event held at the new Ryogoku Kokugikan (on 3/9/85). They also held their October anniversary shows in 1985 and 1986 at the venue. Wajima had been expelled from sumo for using his Sumo Association elder stock as collateral for loans to pay off his debts, so they were banned from the building starting in November of 1986.

Facinating. I knew Wajima lost his shirt in the restaurant biz and had a messy divorce which put him deep into debt. And that his debt was why he got into wrestling. I didn't know he used his Sumo Association stock as collateral for loans and got kicked out or that was the reason for AJPW running Tokyo Municiple Gymnasium and Budokan Hall in stead of Sumo Hall. Thanks. I learn something new every day on this board.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2021 at 1:50 PM, Enforcer said:

Watching some 1996 WCW has me wondering if  Jeff Jarrett could have been a bigger babyface if they changed his look and he stopped doing the Fargo strut or was he doomed from the start after the god awful Double J stuff in wwf? 
 

At the time, I felt like coming in, telling the NWO to stick it and having Ric Flair endorse him made him look like a huge deal but I feel like his look reminded the fans too much of the horrible wwf run that they immediately turned on him. I wanted to like him but I hated his previous gimmick so much that I had a hard time getting into him. 

It’s not like coming back a few years later with his buzz cut, and don’t piss me off gimmick worked wonders to get him over though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×