Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

Jeff Jarrett was always an interesting case to me. It's not like he was particularly bad at any aspect of wrestling, but it seemed like he never was able to put it all together into something that clicked. I suppose his WCW run wasn't helped by him being one of Russo's favorites which resulted in the feeling like he was being shoehorned in position because the booker wanted him there instead of being there on merit. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Being the booker/owner's son is usually the kiss of death, but it seemed Memphis is where he was used the best, Which is kind of funny since it's not like he was doing anything cutting edge there,  but for some reason nowhere else wanted to book him as a s white meat babyface. 

Yes. Up until the world war 3 match with The Giant, it was working. It’s when Flair was trying to bring him into the horsemen  that things went south. If they kept him away from the four horsemen and he was fighting the NWO on his own, fans might have accepted him. He was the opposite of Curt Hennig in a way. Jeff was less over being associated with the 4H and Curt was less over not being in the group. Even tough I did like the little period where he won the US title and they acted like it was the end of WCW and was defending the belt every week against Benoit, The Giant etc...

JJ was a solid worker. In 1999, he was over and one of the top heels of WWF. Going to WCW was a big get for WCW. However, WCW (and TNA later), decided to book JJ as a chicken shit heel who had enough stroke in the back (for whatever reason) to get things done. This did not help him at all. I think a good heel run requires setting the standard of being able to beat multiple babyfaces clean as a whistle or close to clean as a whistle. JJ was always the playing politics kinda guy and never really got to establish legit wins out of backstage politics/tomfoolery (is this correct?). People talk about WCW fucking up Bret Hart, but I don't think people talk about WCW fucking up the JJ return enough. The WCW booking set the standard of TNA. The "This Guys is a Big Deal" booking vs. actually showing he is a big deal in the ring via the booking. HHH's early 2000 WWF run and JJ's late 90's WCW runs are pro wrestling 101 on how not to get a heel over.

I found this interview fascinating. Not only is it slightly jarring to see Danhausen out of character, him talking about his journey from a go-nowhere generic indy guy to someone who managed to get a following is a great story. What he does may not be your cup of tea, but he's definitely a guy you want to root for and hope to succeed. 

I didn’t watch the Randy Savage A&E documentary but just reading about it pisses me off. A self destruction of the ultimate warrior level hatchet job, except Savage is dead and can’t defend himself or get his WWE ordained ‘redemption’ when the company graciously accepts him back. It’s despicable garbage and pretty much the final nail in the coffin of me giving a damn about any wwe produced bs from here on out. Fuck them. 

1 minute ago, Flyin' Brian said:

I didn’t watch the Randy Savage A&E documentary but just reading about it pisses me off. A self destruction of the ultimate warrior level hatchet job, except Savage is dead and can’t defend himself or get his WWE ordained ‘redemption’ when the company graciously accepts him back. It’s despicable garbage and pretty much the final nail in the coffin of me giving a damn about any wwe produced bs from here on out. Fuck them. 

I really don't get this logic. How was it a hatchet job? Apart from the crap about them not knowing he was going to turn up in WCW, nothing they showed was incorrect. In fact, they barely skimmed the surface with his abusive relationships. Sure, they didn't do that with Austin and Piper, but shouldn't the argument be that they should have been this honest with Austin and Piper, and not that they should have released a puff piece on Savage as well? 

Like, Savage is obviously a legend but he also did a lot of really shitty things. Why is talking about that a hatchet job?

6 minutes ago, MoS said:

I really don't get this logic. How was it a hatchet job? Apart from the crap about them not knowing he was going to turn up in WCW, nothing they showed was incorrect. In fact, they barely skimmed the surface with his abusive relationships. Sure, they didn't do that with Austin and Piper, but shouldn't the argument be that they should have been this honest with Austin and Piper, and not that they should have released a puff piece on Savage as well? 

Like, Savage is obviously a legend but he also did a lot of really shitty things. Why is talking about that a hatchet job?

That’s part of my point. They didn’t do that with Austin or Piper. They won’t do that with Hogan if they do one on him. It’s bs. This isn’t Dark Side of the Ring. They chose to not even mention the negative stuff for anyone else but they spend a big chunk of the Savage documentary talking about it. They give Bubba The Love Sponge a bunch of air time to talk shit about Savage. Who gives a fuck what Bubba The Love Sponge has to say? It’s crap. It’s McMahon still holding a grudge after all these years. 

3 minutes ago, Flyin' Brian said:

That’s part of my point. They didn’t do that with Austin or Piper. They won’t do that with Hogan if they do one on him. It’s bs. This isn’t Dark Side of the Ring. They chose to not even mention the negative stuff for anyone else but they spend a big chunk of the Savage documentary talking about it. They give Bubba The Love Sponge a bunch of air time to talk shit about Savage. Who gives a fuck what Bubba The Love Sponge has to say? It’s crap. It’s McMahon still holding a grudge after all these years. 

Well in that case, I mean I will honestly be perfectly fine if WWE never ever produced a documentary on anything or anyone ever again. Their documentaries have never been the most accurate or the most balanced, and now, with more and more non-WWE outlets getting into making wrestling documentaries, there is simply no need to ever care about a WWE release ever again. And yeah, including Bubba The Love Sponge on a Savage show, who used to regularly shit-talk Savage along with Hogan back in the day, was certainly holding a grudge. I forgot about that repulsive dude being on it. I am not a Bischoff fan, but to quote him, "Fuck Bubba. Go Kong. I hope she drew blood." 

Jeff Jarrett seemingly just lacked charisma. He just didn't do anything that made you want to watch him. I feel the same way about his new podcast with Conrad, his stories should be interesting, he's just boring. The strut, the Stroke, the guitar, the catchphrases... just none of it was really captivating. Who was turning on WCW, World Class, WWF or TNA thinking "I can't wait to see Jeff Jarrett!" He was in pro-wrestling for years & I think I can count the memorable moments of his on one-hand & half of those are comedy shit, like the Double J Double M-A challenge or blasting Beetlejuice with a guitar.

On 5/12/2021 at 5:41 PM, Flyin' Brian said:

They did a Yokozuna doc that focused heavily on his obesity.

It would be hard to do a Yokozuna doc that didn't focus on his obesity when it was a lifelong battle, his wrestling gimmick, the reason the WWF had to let him go, and ultimately the reason he died. It would be like if the Freddie Mercury doc I watched tonight didn't focus in part on his AIDS battle when it became a big part of his story. 

7 hours ago, JRH said:

So, speaking of the A&E biographies, the warrior one is NOT going to be a puff piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vuxTTkcJlw

I have no idea how you get the sense it won't be a puff piece from that preview. It's all full of excuses already (the guys was so complex ya see, he had so many layers in him so there must be a good reason he was a hate mongering asshole for so long... this is so lame and pseudo-deep bullshit, yeah, he had layers, like every human beings) and playing the emotional chord with his daughters telling the audience he was tucking them so gently at night. You can be a good father and be a godawful human being to other people, that's absolutely not exclusive. Plenty of horrible people are good fathers to their kids.

On this topic I've only watched the Savage one because I'm not into, well, puff pieces and revisionist shit and this one I knew was more straight forward than the Austin one (domestic violence = doesn't exist) or the Piper one. I have no idea why useless guys like Bubba the fucking Love Sponge was on this spewing usual stupid bullshit or why there was a random "WWE superfan" and random WWE guys who had nothing to say, but on the other hand, they did not sugarcoat how poorly Savage acted with Liz and even worse Gorgeous George. That part I had no idea about (and Meltz mentioned it's only part of the story), so yeah, Savage did not come off very good at all and really like a manipulative abuser. Lex, as usual, came off as honest as anyone can in his situation. He could probably be a story on Dark Side.

And so, the A&E doc about Warrior IS a puff piece poorly disguised as a non-puff piece. The entire narrative, from the very first minute, is about making the viewers feel sorry for Jim Hellwig, a poor little insecure kid who did not had a relationship with his father and searched for a paternal figure all his life. Sure, they spend about 5 minutes at the end talking about some of the horrible stuff he said for years, but that's washed off in about 5 seconds by Dana saying she was very disappointed but hey, you can change. And then it's an unbearable whitewashing tearjerker for the last 10 minutes with the daughters, the friends and the HoF (ohhhh, he was my hero when I was six) and the death.  Dana comes off like she's doing a PR piece for the "brand" (she calls him "Warrior", which is cringe as fuck) of her late husband (remember that ridiculous and offensive tweet a few years back ?). You get a numbers of generic, useless WWE "contributors", you get the official biographer who gives me HUGE douchebag vibes (look at me, I've got a PhD and I am really interesting when I speak), you get Vince Russo despite the fact he pretty much never worked with the Warrior (he was still doing the magazine when he had the cup of coffee in 96), of course the WCW stuff doesn't exist. Oh, there's Miz sucking up to his boss too, for some reasons.

I sure hope the Dark Side episode is gonna be better than this, because this is pretty transparent to me. Tearjerking, piss-poor two bit coffee table psychology, a narrative that is designed to make excuses from the very first minutes (all-along BTW, including when he's spewing hateful shit, it's because he was looking for a new paternal figure in conservative radio editorials, ya see ?). Please.

The one thing I learned is that he already was an unprofessional prick during the Blade Runners days which is why him and Sting basically split up if you believe the story told here.

2 hours ago, El-P said:

And so, the A&E doc about Warrior IS a puff piece poorly disguised as a non-puff piece. The entire narrative, from the very first minute, is about making the viewers feel sorry for Jim Hellwig, a poor little insecure kid who did not had a relationship with his father and searched for a paternal figure all his life. Sure, they spend about 5 minutes at the end talking about some of the horrible stuff he said for years, but that's washed off in about 5 seconds by Dana saying she was very disappointed but hey, you can change. And then it's an unbearable whitewashing tearjerker for the last 10 minutes with the daughters, the friends and the HoF (ohhhh, he was my hero when I was six) and the death.  Dana comes off like she's doing a PR piece for the "brand" (she calls him "Warrior", which is cringe as fuck) of her late husband (remember that ridiculous and offensive tweet a few years back ?). You get a numbers of generic, useless WWE "contributors", you get the official biographer who gives me HUGE douchebag vibes (look at me, I've got a PhD and I am really interesting when I speak), you get Vince Russo despite the fact he pretty much never worked with the Warrior (he was still doing the magazine when he had the cup of coffee in 96), of course the WCW stuff doesn't exist. Oh, there's Miz sucking up to his boss too, for some reasons.

According to the Macho Man doc, he went to WCW, did a bunch of drugs and dated Gorgeous George. He totally never turned their house show business around  twice with two different Ric Flair feud. He never carried the first half of 1997 with the DDP feud and the period where he was God like over in the Wolfpack before getting injured never happened. Nope. 

Same with Piper, Hogan hit him on the hip with a chair and then he got messed up on drugs. He never popped a buyrate at Starrcade 96, the following Superbrawl, Halloween Havoc 97 and Spring Stampede 98. 

I am surprised that they didn’t try to claim that McMahon discovered Booker T watching a Global rerun on ESPN in 2001. 

Yeah, I figured these would be garbage when they didn’t touch the Austin domestic abuse stuff. I can’t judge the HBK one since there is no way in fucking hell that I am watching a doc on Shawn Michaels but he is on the payroll so it was surely a fluff piece as well. 

Every one acting like McMahon is this father figure instead of what he really is, a gigantic piece of shit did infuriated me. That was the first time that I ever saw The Miz in my life, ugh, he look like a bitch kissing the boss’s ass. 

I don’t know if there is any episode left but I am done. I will stick with Dark side of the ring.