Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

That's how he acts in 1995/1996 at Savage and Sting just saying they want to be WCW Champion, not even asking or demanding a title shot from Hogan. Just that they want to be champion. And Hogan's reaction is like it's some ultimate betrayal. And then when either of them actually receive title shots, he does everything he can do to tell them how unfair it is that he's not the one getting the title shot (even though he DID get a title shot during this time and didn't win the belt back). Crowds are booing him, his friends are calling him out for his behavior, but the announcers still act like he's the most heroic dude in history and it is so incongruent with everything he's doing on screen.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So Andrade got his release, didn't have a 90 day, AND he's allowed to use the name "Andrade" still. Nice. I think it's a mix of Flair influence with Vince and company having no ill feelings about a guy who they liked, but felt that the language issue limited him. I recently heard Flair on a Conrad pod say that it was the language thing. Which is stupid, but when was the last time someone was allowed a release with no non compete and use of the trademark name? 

Yeah they can't keep him from using his actual name, but for him to be able to leave without a 90 day non compete tells me he had something on the company he could have fucked them over with and they let him go on his terms. 

17 minutes ago, sek69 said:

The mask design is probably owned by CMLL who are light years beyond Vince on the vindictive and petty scale.

Really? I'd love some examples. I enjoy Lucha but I don't know much about the political machinations and such outside of the La Parka shit. Mask trademarks seem like a no brainer, now that I think of it.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Really? I'd love some examples. I enjoy Lucha but I don't know much about the political machinations and such outside of the La Parka shit. Mask trademarks seem like a no brainer, now that I think of it.

If he had been offered a million dollars to be in the same room as Santo, he'd have not only declined but also blocked you. He cut off a 7(?) year agreement with IWRG purely because they wanted to use Santo in a match. Anyone even dared to acknowledge Santo or attempt to use them, Paco would no longer do business with you. Vince can seemingly bury the hatchet if it makes his bank account bigger.

There's a long Alonso Shitlist of wrestlers he felt "betrayed" him and forever banned them from being mentioned by CMLL guys. You have the obvious guys like Octagon and Konnan but nobody would ever know what would set Paco off. Even when Pena died, he refused to offer any tributes or acknowledgment. Pena was the reason for a LOT of EMLL's character successes so he should at least have offered a QEPD graphic to say the least.

EDIT: is his daughter carrying on the legacy? I had heard she was more open to rekindling lost relationships but I've not much kept up with the promotion.

His daughter was trying to modernize the company and not be such grudge holding assholes, but the rest of the family got pissed and ran her off so they could put people in charge even more stuck in their ways and petty than Paco was.

Vince at least would be willing to put personal beef aside if it would do business, Paco would blacklist guys who would do business forever and never give it a second thought. 

3 hours ago, sek69 said:

His daughter was trying to modernize the company and not be such grudge holding assholes, but the rest of the family got pissed and ran her off so they could put people in charge even more stuck in their ways and petty than Paco was.

Sigh.

I actually can't think of a more frustrating promotion than EMLL/CMLL has been. The obvious money matches they've pissed away over the years is frightening. Just in the last decade we could have had Wagner/Parka (lol Psycho Clown???) and Parka/Rush. Though, I guess, their business model is bulletproof at this point. They can royally piss off their fans (that UG/Atlantis/Volador/Sombra "bait and switch") and still make a fortune later on. They also have Dinamitas Jrs and Atlantis' kid to run that well dry over the next couple decades.

Yeah they own all the buildings they run in, so they have practically zero costs. Plus they have deals where hotels run tourist groups for their Friday night Arena Mexico shows so they will get decent crowds no matter how shit the cards are.

In this case, it's the athletic commissions and not CMLL that are preventing Andrade from going back to the La Sombra mask. I believe the official rule is that a wrestler who loses his mask in an apuestas match (which he did in 2015) can never wrestle under that mask again and has to wait five years before assuming another masked identity. Rey Mysterio was able to get around that because they ruled he didn't lose the mask in a traditional apuestas match. Andrade is probably better known maskless at this point and is a good-looking guy to boot, so there's no real reason for him to go back to wearing a mask.

On 5/28/2021 at 6:19 AM, NintendoLogic said:

In this case, it's the athletic commissions and not CMLL that are preventing Andrade from going back to the La Sombra mask. I believe the official rule is that a wrestler who loses his mask in an apuestas match (which he did in 2015) can never wrestle under that mask again and has to wait five years before assuming another masked identity. Rey Mysterio was able to get around that because they ruled he didn't lose the mask in a traditional apuestas match. Andrade is probably better known maskless at this point and is a good-looking guy to boot, so there's no real reason for him to go back to wearing a mask.

This is true but it's also widely known you can get around it by either paying the commission off or just wear a mask that is slightly different. Silver King did this when he decided to start wearing his mask again. 

We also have Herodes who (almost successfully) lost his mask 3 times in 3 different arenas in the same week back in 2001. 2x against Atlantis and 1x against Mascara Sagrada - the latter the crowd, having read about it in Lucha 2000, were PISSED so he just dropped the mask and they wrestled a straight match.

With the internet, it's become a lot more difficult to do but it still happens. Metalico wrestled two days after losing a retirement match to Virus. I don't think Andrade will go back to it, he's a lot more marketable without it, in my opinion.

WWE makeup department are really bad at their jobs.

That picture is something I would never imagine happening in 2013. Amazing. Also, Rush + Andrade in AEW would be fantastic. Actually, Rush basically anywhere except RoH would be fantastic. Lemme go cry in a corner because that won't happen.

lol..... WWE just happened to post an Instagram video of Nia Jax squashing (and bloodying the nose) of Britt Baker back when she was doing enhancement duty. 

"We used this person who's now a big star as jobber fodder and didn't sign them" is quite the weird flex as the kids say, but do go on WWE.

On 5/29/2021 at 8:58 PM, Johnny Sorrow said:

I just saw that SummerSlam is on a Saturday this year, and the next day they're doing a house show here in Denver. It's gonna be fun taking my nephew and his pals to the show. It'll be the neighbor kids first live rasslin.

I love the more relaxed, child-friendly Johnny Sorrow. Reading the joy of the kids always puts a smile on my face.

For those who don't follow basketball, there's been an alarming number of incidents of fan misbehavior (throwing things at players, spitting on them, yelling racial abuse) during the first round of the NBA playoffs. There has also been a number of fights in the stands at MLB games. If that's how fans of non-worked sports are behaving with things opening up again, just imagine what it's going to be like at wrestling shows.