Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Generally, I think that any object that would cause serious injury in the real world should not be a prop or foreign object in wrestling. Knives,  eating utensils, brass knux, sledgehammers, hammers, etc. Even when it doesn't make the match look rediculous and fake, it still defies logic and is horrible long term story telling when somebody get stabbed or hit with a deadly object and ends up on TV a week later looking ok. An example would be the Demon vs Wagner mask match. The over the top weapon spots made that match what it was. Then after being hit with a hammer and a cinderblock, Wagner works 4 shows in the following week, including the very next night? Who doesn't spend a week in the hospital after getting their hand broken with a hammer and having a cinderblock dropped on their head?  So even when crazy weapon spots look good and don't result in serious injury, the business still gets exposed on the follow through and lack of proper long term story telling. 

Ideally, foreign objects in wrestling should be limited to items that would naturally be at ringside (like chairs and tables) or can be concealed on a wrestler's person (like powder or a roll of coins). I'm also willing to accept certain gimmick props like Cornette's tennis racket and Sgt. Slaughter's riding crop. The use of stabbing implements is a hard line that should never be crossed. Even in a no-DQ match, the goal should be to knock your opponent out, not exsanguinate them.

On 8/11/2021 at 9:07 PM, Ricky Jackson said:

This has been bugging me, but I wont sully the Eaton thread. Am I the only one who gets a bit annoyed by Meltzer/Observer always having to qualify praise of Eaton being "one of the all-time greatest" with "between the ropes" like there's an asterisk on his greatness (*not a great promo)?

I get how that could be bothersome, but he generally reserves the all time great tag for folks who were great at all aspects of wrestling, in a way it actually is praising Bobby even more by saying he was so great in the ring it made the fact that he barely spoke largely irrelevant. I suppose there's a time and place, but Dave's gonna Dave.

Whatever happened to Takeshi Morishima? There were rumors about diabetes & then retracted. Then saying his mental state was messed up & he had surgery for arthritis in his foot or something. Was supposed to be on a comeback show a few years ago & it got cancelled. I know about the taxi driver incident but even still, he's only 42 now. Has his name popped up anywhere recently, or has he made any appearances for signings or anything?

"Takeshi Morishima, 40, who at one point was thought to be one of the biggest stars of the current generation, but never reached that status for a number of reasons having to do with health and injuries, was arrested this past week. Morishima, who retired due to both health issues and physical condition issues in 2015, was arrested for allegedly attacking a taxi driver at 11:30 p.m. on 11/4 in the Kabukicho section of Tokyo. The driver, whose name is not known, was reported as seriously injured with cheekbone injuries after Morishima refused to pay an 18,000 yen ($159) fare and allegedly punched him in the face. Morishima was originally to make a comeback on 10/15 after three years out, but due to battling sepsis and undergoing surgery, his return was delayed until early 2019. This story ended up making mainstream news, including being covered on the TV-Asahi evening newscast. The belief is because Japan is so much about honor, that this story will prevent him from coming back to wrestling any time soon."

"Tokyo Sports ran a piece on Morishima saying that he had been living a sad life since his retirement, with stories that he was working as a live-in employee at a restaurant and that some days he didn’t even change his clothes, and was drinking heavily. It was noted that he was not drinking on the night of his arrest. It said that in the Shinjuku and Yotsuya sections of Tokyo he was frequently seen bumming money off fans or wrestlers and many businesses in the area didn’t want him around their premises. He would act like a star, show up in bars in a taxi and try to get the patrons in the bar to pay the taxi charges, and claimed he once did the same thing at an independent show where he showed up with a 500 yen taxi charge (less than $6) and tried to get a younger wrestler on the show to pay it."

From Wrestling Observer Newsletter in November 2018. I guess coupled with his injury issues, the taxi incident means nobody thinks he's worth the trouble.

Misawa tried as hard as he could, to the deficit of NOAH's resources, to keep people hired and continue the family culture that he had known in All Japan. As we all know, the less idealistic people in the company won out and made cuts after his death. Morishima fell the hardest, though it took a while for him to bottom out. NOAH wasn't just his job, it was his entire support system, and his case makes the failure of Misawa's late-life plans to develop some sort of vocational rehab program for his wrestlers (as well as to build a steakhouse, which his widow got defrauded for when the Yakuza wife who'd been sponsoring NOAH claimed she would finally make it happen) especially painful.

3 minutes ago, Clayton Jones said:

Either way he's great so why would anyone care about this fluff interview question.

For me SRS is usually above that kind of Fox News-ass "people are saying *insert thing no one is actually saying*" stuff so while it's obviously low stakes in this case it does kind of make me look sideways at him. 

9 hours ago, sek69 said:

For me SRS is usually above that kind of Fox News-ass "people are saying *insert thing no one is actually saying*" stuff so while it's obviously low stakes in this case it does kind of make me look sideways at him. 

Does SRS still call people c*nts and trash on Twitter?  Does he still try to arrange fights with people over Twitter?  Is he still bragging about how many patreons he has? This is the guy who took shots at Dave, Bryan and Wade for doing Starrcast, claimed he would never do such a thing, yet first chance he gets he involved himself in an angle on AEW.  He goes off on other people not crediting him or Fightful yet he is every bit as guilty of it.  I remember his article on Shad Gaspard's passing, which came out the day after Dave's obituary in the Observer and it had clearly been plagiarized from what Dave wrote.

Never got why a lot of Sapp's douchey behaviour gets overlooked or he gets a free pass when others would be, and are, torn to shreds if they acted or behaved similar.

I've only seen him go after people on Twitter who go at him first and/or try to post lies about shit he never reported. May not be the most professional thing to do, but I'm all for smacking idiots in the face who make shit up to try to discredit people. 

I love that a photo people thought was Ric Flair eating ass on a train went viral and I love even more that Ric's response was to say they photo isn't him because Ric Flair doesn't travel by train. Because of course that would be the thing he finds objectionable about that lol.