Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I nearly disowned myself after watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC0TBtkccCU.

It's a magician/wrestler called The Shocker on the latest Penn & Teller and forget dying a little inside, my heart poured kerosene on itself and lit a match. I think what hurts the most is that it's pro-wrestling on an international stage and it only strengthens preconceived disdain and mockery towards our sport. This is not what I want non-fans to see. It's worse than the theme song of Heels (ymmv).

14 hours ago, Laz said:

Man, I had a set for CotG back in the day, right alongside my IWA gazettes from the two leagues I was in. Then efeds happened and they were free.

Is that Filsinger Online thing worthwhile?

They have a free trial and you can choose between real wrestlers and the old COTG stuff. It's nice for the book keeping end, interface has a bit of a learning curve. I recommend trying it on both a laptop and a tablet. I prefer to do the matches on my tablet. 

I will say that my view of the claw is colored somewhat by the fact that I simply can't stand the Von Erichs. They were dumb jocks, spoiled rich kids, Bible-thumpers, druggies, haters of cats-in short, they possessed every single quality in a human being I find repugnant.

5 hours ago, MoS said:

Didn't Shawn use the Heart Punch as a finisher for a little while, as a pun on his nickname? Or was it Taker?

Taker used it during his days as Mean Mark Callous. He'd resurrect it on occasion in WWE, perhaps most notably at One Night Only when he used it to attack Bret Hart's chest after Bret did his sternum-first bump into an exposed turnbuckle.

6 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

I will say that my view of the claw is colored somewhat by the fact that I simply can't stand the Von Erichs. They were dumb jocks, spoiled rich kids, Bible-thumpers, druggies, haters of cats-in short, they possessed every single quality in a human being I find repugnant.

Well, that too.

When I went through many of the territories TV a few years ago, WCCW was by far the worst and the whole Von Erich thing did not register at all with me in any way shape or form.

7 minutes ago, El-P said:

Well, that too.

When I went through many of the territories TV a few years ago, WCCW was by far the worst and the whole Von Erich thing did not register at all with me in any way shape or form.

The Texas 80s set didn't rate as highly for me as the others for that very reason.  It was clear they were a huge deal and incredible stars to their audience but it simply didn't translate all these years later.  I wonder how much of that is due to music and production making them seem like even bigger stars at the time while we've now had decades of that being done across the board, so when you strip that away there's not much left except on those special nights when they'd really connect with the right opponent.

1 hour ago, WingedEagle said:

I wonder how much of that is due to music and production making them seem like even bigger stars at the time while we've now had decades of that being done across the board, so when you strip that away there's not much left except on those special nights when they'd really connect with the right opponent.

Yeah, to me it's really a case where context and production played a huge part. The whole territory was a smoke-screen for a family business that really had zilch to offer in term of good pro-wrestling (apart from a few really big match here and there, and mostly Flair showing up really). The matches weren't good. The promos sucked. The promotional tactics were really offensive (Fritz was a piece of trash). So yeah, you got Tom Sawyer (if you can handle listening to fucking Rush at *every fucking show*) and Freebird (which I never get tired of, then again I was born in a country where it's not even on the radar so it's not like I could get tired of it listening to it on the radio, first time I heard it was in ECW :lol:) and a lot of young female fans screaming (just picture the "sex with underage" cases for a second). I don't have any fetish at all for 80's territories wrestling, and now less than ever, but WCCW easily ranks among the worst pro-wrestling stuff I've watched.

52 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I like David and Kevin. Kerry not so much. Fritz was the best, though. His claw would squeeze Kenny Omega's head like a lemon. 

The more Fritz I see, the more I think he's my favourite wrestler from the family. Just a big nasty bastard, his Texas Death match with Baba is so good

6 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

I nearly disowned myself after watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC0TBtkccCU.

It's a magician/wrestler called The Shocker on the latest Penn & Teller and forget dying a little inside, my heart poured kerosene on itself and lit a match. I think what hurts the most is that it's pro-wrestling on an international stage and it only strengthens preconceived disdain and mockery towards our sport. This is not what I want non-fans to see. It's worse than the theme song of Heels (ymmv).

Netflix's GLOW was the corniest, most embarrassing take on wrestling you could find and its incredibly popular. I'm a fan of Penn & Teller's Fool Us, it's a great show. Magicians come up with weird acts all the time. I honestly dug this, and I HATE mentalism acts.

Kerry was so bad in all the World Class footage I have watched. He barely had any good offence, whenever he bumped it looked like shit, and his idea of babyface fire would be running around like a headless chicken. The Flair matches are very good but that's Flair basically wrestling himself. Credit to him, he was over like a million bucks and the matches wouldn't have worked without that, but as a worker, he was just so bad. None of the Von Erichs were very good imo in the footage I watched, but Fritz had the best look and presence despite being older. I need to check out his Texas Death match with Baba.

I didn't like Kevin for a long time but his matches always have the potential to kust devolve into a potato fest which makes his matches more interesting than Kerry. 

I disagree about the matches sucking. Checkmate and Magic Dragon had consistently good matches during their run and Jose Lothario was good for entertaining matches almost every week. 

Fritz, as shitty as a human being as he was, was a great old school tough nasty bastard. He had one of those gimmicks that only works better for him the older and more ornery he would get. I think that's why the heart attack angle was such a disaster beyond the obvious bad taste aspect. It killed his aura as tough guy even if he was older. 

I never was a fan of the heart punch, when in real life have you ever seen somebody get punched in the chest and go down? I don't know why somebody with good looking punches hasn't used a liver punch/hook to the body as a finisher. The most dramatic knockouts in combat sports are always the body shot to the liver where the person just seizes up and goes down. Agogo did it in that one angle with Cody and it looked awesome.

Remember how Crush in his jailbird/white-guy-with-dreads-and-face-tatoo/Nation of Domination period was using the heart punch as a finisher ? Yeah, everything about this was so awesome...

For real though I enjoyed his music theme then. Some kick-ass FPS-like theme. But I enjoyed even more his droning, evil, Point&Click-like theme during his heel stint in 94. Jim Johnston could make me "care" about Crush just because I liked the music.

5 minutes ago, El-P said:

Remember how Crush in his jailbird/white-guy-with-dreads-and-face-tatoo/Nation of Domination period was using the heart punch as a finisher ? Yeah, everything about this was so awesome...

If you keep on being sarcastic all the time then one day the wind will change and you'll never be able to stop it, like pulling faces as a child. 

Personally I thought Rob Terry with a heart punch would have been cool. He's absolutely huge, and as someone who's been twatted in the chest several times playing rugby, fuck me it might not give you a heart attack, but when your wind goes its not coming back for a while. Enough for a 3 count.

I thought I broke my sternum one day from a massive hit playing sevens. I could hardly breathe for days. The pain was such that if I coughed I nearly shat myself. 

15 minutes ago, ButchReedMark said:

If you keep on being sarcastic all the time then one day the wind will change and you'll never be able to stop it, like pulling faces as a child. 

??? 

Really ? After a post where I actually talk about how I loved Crush's music themes from the mid-90's ? I mean. I can't get much less sarcastic than this...

I mean, yeah, I was sarcastic about Crush using the heart punch, since he sucked and so does the move, but... And if you thought that was a response of sort to your Rob Terry post, well, it wasn't, I just remembered than Crush of all people used it during one of his many ill-fated billions comebacks.

11 hours ago, ButchReedMark said:

Personally I thought Rob Terry with a heart punch would have been cool. He's absolutely huge, and as someone who's been twatted in the chest several times playing rugby, fuck me it might not give you a heart attack, but when your wind goes its not coming back for a while. Enough for a 3 count.

I met Rob Terry at an indy show several years ago. I stand right around 6 foot, and weigh about 250, and I felt like a small child standing next to him. So I would absolutely buy him using the Heart Punch as a finish, just based on how freaking big he is!