Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In studio wrestling and at the Hamburg/AG Hall tapings, wrestlers and their managers are going out and cutting promos in front of a live audience. In AWA and syndicated WWE you've got guys doing promos in studios where you can take multiple takes and Mean Gene Okerlund directing traffic as well. A better environment for promos.

Here's what Dave once said:

My two favorite Kevin Nash stories were the time on live TV that he was doing a promo with Terry Funk, where he was the heel and Funk was the face. They had worked the promo out, then Nash totally went against the script, double-crossed Funk, Funk looked bad and then went to the back bragging about how he upstaged and left Terry Funk in the dust. The second was for years he would brag in the WCW locker room about how given a chance, he'd do the same to The Rock. He said it so often, Rock knew the story. Then they actually did the promo, and Rock veered from the script and totally buried him.

Well that's very stupid. Why would you try to outsmart on the mic the guy who pretty much turned cutting back-and-forth promos involving witty zingers and burns into a fine art. And why would you brag about it. TBH, what Rock said to Nash wasn't very different from the stuff Rock would say to pretty much every wrestler he would feud with, unless there were other promos that I have missed. Has Nash ever spoken publicly about it? God knows he has done 10,000 shoot interviews in his life. 

Why bring in almost 60 year old Terry Funk in 2000 at all, especially when they were trying to push a youth wave when the knock on WCW since 1994 was all their top guys were old and over the hill? Why then do another Flair vs Funk feud in 2000? Why do another Flair vs Hogan feud in 2000? Why bring back Larry Z and Paul Orndorff, both of whom would obviously not be in wrestling roles, to back Terry against the nWo? Endless whys.

A couple of previously unaired in full MSG cards from 1984 dropped on Peacock today (3/25 and 5/21). I dont have the Network anymore but I'm under the impression a few matches that never aired are included? Specifically, Backlund vs Valentine from 3/25/84? If so, I'm curious if it's a banger like many of their other matches over the years

1 minute ago, Ricky Jackson said:

A couple of previously unaired in full MSG cards from 1984 dropped on Peacock today (3/25 and 5/21). I dont have the Network anymore but I'm under the impression a few matches that never aired are included? Specifically, Backlund vs Valentine from 3/25/84? If so, I'm curious if it's a banger like many of their matches over the years

Nice. Landy put together what he could from both of those shows but if the missing stuff is included that will be excellent.

8 hours ago, strobogo said:

Why bring in almost 60 year old Terry Funk in 2000 at all, especially when they were trying to push a youth wave when the knock on WCW since 1994 was all their top guys were old and over the hill? Why then do another Flair vs Funk feud in 2000? Why do another Flair vs Hogan feud in 2000? Why bring back Larry Z and Paul Orndorff, both of whom would obviously not be in wrestling roles, to back Terry against the nWo? Endless whys.

I think the thinking was that Funk (and Mike Awesome and Shane Douglas and The Sandman...) were ECW's top stars so WCW thought they were good hires and might help WCW regain some credibility/cool factor at a time.

And, at least in the case of Bam Bam Bigelow, it definitely worked at first. A few years ago, I was rewatching some of WCW around this era and the Bigelow/Goldberg segments were excellent.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Is there a sense of what wasn't out there before from the May card?

Here is what I have from both cards put together by Landy, which likely means that unless he found more since I got them, this is what is out there now:

4420       Landy’s WWF House Shows: MSG New York March 25th 1984    40 min    VG/EX-

SD Jones vs. Rene Goulet

Akira Maeda vs. Pierre Lefebrve

Sgt. Slaughter vs. Mr Fuji & Tiger Chung Lee (Handicap match)

Andre the Giant & Jimmy Snuka vs. Roddy Piper & David Schultz.

6866       Landy’s House Shows: MSG New York 5/21/84                 80 min              VG/EX-

-Jesse Ventura vs. Salvatore Bellomo
- Mr. Fuji & Tiger Chung Lee vs. B. Brian Blair & Tony Garea (JIP)
-Roddy Piper vs. Ivan Putski
-Tito Santana (IC Champion) vs. Paul Orndorff
-Sgt. Slaughter vs. Iron Sheik (Boot Camp Match)
-Fabulous Moolah (Women’s Champion) vs. Wendi Richter
-Kal Rudman interviews Moolah post-match
- George Steele vs. Terry Daniels
-Hulk Hogan (WWF Champion) vs. David Schultz
**MISSING Wild Samoans vs. Bobo Brazil/Rocky Johnson/SD Jones**
**MISSING Jimmy Snuka vs. Greg Valentine**
**MISSING Akira Maeda vs. Rene Goulet**

12 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

Yo @gordi Osaka Pro returns!!

Thanks!

I have already been in touch with, and heard back from, ZEUS, Kenji, Kae, and Kaoru. Obviously, we are all freaking out over here. Very much looking forward to seeing what ZEUS' version of Osaka Pro will be like.

14 hours ago, khawk20 said:

Here is what I have from both cards put together by Landy, which likely means that unless he found more since I got them, this is what is out there now:
**MISSING Jimmy Snuka vs. Greg Valentine**
**MISSING Akira Maeda vs. Rene Goulet**

So if I'm not mistaken we don't get the Samoans vs Soul Patrol match from March (though there's a "bonus" Garea vs Sharpe match) and we don't get Snuka vs Valentine or Maeda vs Goulet from May.

We do get the Bobo Brazil match from the May show.

22 hours ago, DMJ said:

I think the thinking was that Funk (and Mike Awesome and Shane Douglas and The Sandman...) were ECW's top stars so WCW thought they were good hires and might help WCW regain some credibility/cool factor at a time.

And, at least in the case of Bam Bam Bigelow, it definitely worked at first. A few years ago, I was rewatching some of WCW around this era and the Bigelow/Goldberg segments were excellent.

Sandman and Shane came in in 1999. Terry hadn't even been in ECW for like 2-3 years at that point. Mike Awesome made sense even if how they used him absolutely did not, but bringing in Terry Funk to feud with I guess 4th version of the NWO was pretty wtf.